U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 09:06 AM

5,414 posts, read 7,715,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Yeah, y'all have waited, what, ten years to finally make a legitimate claim that the SEC is overrated. Like I was sayin in 2012, all any Big 12 or Big 10 team had to do was prove it on the field. Like FSU did last year, like more teams did this year. But sorry, the SEC owned the nation for a decade. Times Chang, coaches change, teams change. The only real pastings were against the two Mississippi trams so it ain't like the SEC got rolled. Everyone forgets about how Auburn went undefeated but left out of the natty and had to watch pretenders from Norman OK get rolled by USC
I think USC would have beat the Dallas Cowboys that year. Carroll is a great coach, so I'd still have my money on the Fighting Condoms.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:14 AM

3,912 posts, read 4,856,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Who said Auburn was a defensive juggernaut? They hired Muschamp for $1.7M to fix their defense.
Lol. They're definitely not. It was tongue and cheek. They held their bowl opponent to the least amount of points of the teams I listed. Lol.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:16 AM

28,269 posts, read 26,273,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
SEC was dominant over the last 10 years because they pretty much got an automatic bid in the championship game.
The SEC was dominant over the last 10 years because a majority of African Americans live in Southern states.

It wasn't that long ago when schools like Alabama or LSU wouldn't even play Black players. If you were Black, and from the Deep South, then your only options were to go out West (USC, UCLA, etc) or up North (Penn State, OSU, etc). I guess historically black colleges presented a third option. Now that that's all a distant memory, and guys like Jadeveon Clowney stay home, the SEC's fortunes have *coincidentally* changed.

Not a very PC thing to say, but it's the obvious elephant in the thread, no?

Old 01-02-2015, 09:21 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,611,713 times
Here's the deal: because college football has more than 100 teams, it's really hard to know which teams are overrated and which ones aren't. In a lot of cases, all we have to go by are the performances from this year and in the preceding year or two. That's how/why teams get overrated or underrated - based on their reputation, which is based on their performances in big games in years' past.

It's not just an SEC phenomenon. Ohio State kept getting ranked in the top ten in the pre-season polls and even late in the year despite losing. Why? Because Ohio State had won a national championship in 2002 and had been competing and winning for a long time, and their conference was pretty strong until the early to mid-2000s. The same is true of Oklahoma. It's real rich to hear Big 12 fans complain about the SEC when one of the biggest darlings of the pollsters is right in their own conference (won't even mention Texas). People love to fall in love with Notre Dame. The fact is that big name programs with big traditions gain reputations. It's not exclusive to the SEC.

It's probably true that a few SEC teams got the benefit of the doubt, but it's no worse than OU getting the benefit of the doubt in 2004 before getting absolutely embarrassed in front of millions by USC. No worse than Ohio State getting embarrassed in front of millions by LSU in 2007. Or Notre Dame looking like a JV squad against Bama.

Let's also try to avoid logical fallacies. Having a #2 seed in one conference beat a #4 doesn't prove anything. The argument that SEC fans were making all along is that if you put their #1 against the #1 from another conference, they'd win. And they did that pretty much non-stop from 2006 through 2012, until FSU defeated Auburn last year (needing all 60 minutes to pull that one out, I'd add).

Old 01-02-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Nah, I knew the S-E-C was overrated last year when Alabama(the gold standard of the S-E-C)got their asses handed to them Oklahoma.
Yeah, except for the fact that they were not the number one team in their division, let alone their conference, you might have a point.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I think USC would have beat the Dallas Cowboys that year. Carroll is a great coach, so I'd still have my money on the Fighting Condoms.
They were an outstanding team, and I wasn't saying that War Eagle would have won (very unlikely, IMO), only that they had the same jealousy toward OU and Texas at that time that a lot of fans have had toward SEC teams in recent years.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:29 AM

13,720 posts, read 25,558,395 times
Quote:
Here's the deal: because college football has more than 100 teams, it's really hard to know which teams are overrated and which ones aren't. In a lot of cases, all we have to go by are the performances from this year and in the preceding year or two. That's how/why teams get overrated or underrated - based on their reputation, which is based on their performances in big games in years' past.

It's not just an SEC phenomenon. Ohio State kept getting ranked in the top ten in the pre-season polls and even late in the year despite losing. Why? Because Ohio State had won a national championship in 2002 and had been competing and winning for a long time, and their conference was pretty strong until the early to mid-2000s. The same is true of Oklahoma. It's real rich to hear Big 12 fans complain about the SEC when one of the biggest darlings of the pollsters is right in their own conference (won't even mention Texas). People love to fall in love with Notre Dame. The fact is that big name programs with big traditions gain reputations. It's not exclusive to the SEC.

It's probably true that a few SEC teams got the benefit of the doubt, but it's no worse than OU getting the benefit of the doubt in 2004 before getting absolutely embarrassed in front of millions by USC. No worse than Ohio State getting embarrassed in front of millions by LSU in 2007. Or Notre Dame looking like a JV squad against Bama.

Let's also try to avoid logical fallacies. Having a #2 seed in one conference beat a #4 doesn't prove anything. The argument that SEC fans were making all along is that if you put their #1 against the #1 from another conference, they'd win. And they did that pretty much non-stop from 2006 through 2012, until FSU defeated Auburn last year (needing all 60 minutes to pull that one out, I'd add).
Good post. Lots of people make too much of one win or loss. For example, lots of fans in Texas have been arguing about TCU vs. Baylor. They tied for the Big 12 championship - but Baylor beat TCU in head to head (by a field goal). So many said Baylor should be ranked higher than TCU for playoff consideration. Yet many said TCU was better than Baylor at the end of the season. It ends up just stuff to argue about.

I think the SEC's quality of play over the last decade has been better than any other conference. Even in a flawed ranking system without a playoff, both human and computer polls ranked SEC teams higher.

After 12 or 13 games though, we see who is left standing. As a fan - I'd say Oregon and OSU deserved to be in the title game. FSU was outclassed, and Alabama was beaten by a better team.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:30 AM

The Big Ten is by far the darling conference. I say this as someone who grew up in the Northeast not caring about college football...at all. Who other than Big Ten alums wants to see an OSU-Michigan game in the Tri-State area? Yet that crap gets forced down our throats year after year. The same is true with ACC basketball and the UNC-Duke rivalry.

I'd say the PAC 12 might be second.

I'm not sure why any Black player would play for an SEC school when they wouldn't even allow you on campus a few decades ago.

And college athletes should receive some type of remuneration.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:31 AM

5,414 posts, read 7,715,995 times
Quote:
They were an outstanding team, and I wasn't saying that War Eagle would have won (very unlikely, IMO), only that they had the same jealousy toward OU and Texas at that time that a lot of fans have had toward SEC teams in recent years.
True.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
After 12 or 13 games though, we see who is left standing. As a fan - I'd say Oregon and OSU deserved to be in the title game. FSU was outclassed, and Alabama was beaten by a better team.
FSU's defense was straight garbage. The formidable offensive juggernaut that is N.C. State put up 40+ points on them. LOL. If you are constantly getting gashed by slow, mediocre and conventional offenses, then it goes without saying that you'll get eaten alive by good, hurry up offenses. FSU's defense even looked tired against Clemson.

It was sort of weird to see because speedy defenses have traditionally been their calling card. The Noles defense was able to run down Mike Vick when he played for VT. They had that many good athletes back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or