U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-02-2015, 12:17 PM
 
Location: The 719
14,548 posts, read 22,412,765 times
Reputation: 13854

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
FSU's defense was straight garbage. The formidable offensive juggernaut that is N.C. State put up 40+ points on them. LOL. If you are constantly getting gashed by slow, mediocre and conventional offenses, then it goes without saying that you'll get eaten alive by good, hurry up offenses. FSU's defense even looked tired against Clemson.

It was sort of weird to see because speedy defenses have traditionally been their calling card. The Noles defense was able to run down Mike Vick when he played for VT. They had that many good athletes back then.
I'm trying to figure out what's going to happen in the Championship game based on what I saw last night.

Was Oregon that good or was FSU that bad?

I thought that FSU's defense did ok against the mighty Ducks for most of the game, especially through most of three quarters.

What blew it open for them imo was FSUs receivers playing Hot Potato with the football about four times and Winston getting in on the act himself.

We will see how the Buckeyes do against them. Minus the mistakes, FSU defense doesn't look so awful in that weird game last night.

 
Old 01-02-2015, 12:23 PM
 
35,324 posts, read 25,165,179 times
Reputation: 32413
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben1234 View Post
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the clear cut coaching edge the SEC has enjoyed over the past few years. Having the right head coach, and to a lesser extent support staff, is huge in college football. The players are extremely young men (18,19, 20 year old etc.) and they require a lot of guidance on and off the field. When I look back at some of the Big Ten 10 vs. SEC mathcups over the past decade, I remember some woefully unprepared Big Ten teams. The SEC has had big name, big money coaches for quite some time now (Saban, Miles) The Big Ten 10 is finally starting to realize that if you want to win a national title, you need an elite coach. Meyer comes to OSU and they all of a sudden get over the hump and beat a very solid Bama team, coincidence? Of course I'm not saying coaching is more important than the players on the field, but coaching is a much bigger factor in college football than the NFL.

Both the coaches and the players get paid more in the SEC.

Add the coaching quality, to the demographic shift of the U.S. population, the climate and year round football, and the big one, oversigning done by many, if not most, SEC teams (they get 5 classes worth of recruits every 4 years), they should be completely dominant.
 
Old 01-02-2015, 12:47 PM
 
Location: somewhere on I-35 in-between Austin and San Antonio
296 posts, read 424,530 times
Reputation: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Both the coaches and the players get paid more in the SEC.

Add the coaching quality, to the demographic shift of the U.S. population, the climate and year round football, and the big one, oversigning done by many, if not most, SEC teams (they get 5 classes worth of recruits every 4 years), they should be completely dominant.
Another point to add is that many inner-city young athletes in Northeastern big cities (Philly, DC, NYC, Boston) don't have the opportunity to play football. Open fields are hard to find in those cities, and many schools don't have programs. Basketball is far more popular in those areas.
 
Old 01-02-2015, 01:11 PM
 
Location: alabama.
2,322 posts, read 1,761,470 times
Reputation: 4700
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben1234 View Post
Basketball is far more popular in those areas.
well who is the number one team in the country in basketball at the moment .. as a matter of fact they are said to be the number one and number two at the same time .. .. who is the defending national champs in baseball ? oh yeah .. a weak SEC team from vandy .. who is the defending national champs in softball .. oh yeah ..another weak team from the SEC .. who is the defending champs in gymnastics .. how many championships in womens basketball does tennessee have .. football is not the only reason the SEC is the greatest conference in the country ..we play some pretty good golf and tennis as well ..
 
Old 01-02-2015, 01:19 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,264 posts, read 26,231,676 times
Reputation: 11721
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben1234 View Post
Another point to add is that many inner-city young athletes in Northeastern big cities (Philly, DC, NYC, Boston) don't have the opportunity to play football. Open fields are hard to find in those cities, and many schools don't have programs. Basketball is far more popular in those areas.
I grew up in Philadelphia. We've produced some fine players (Marvin Harrison is a Roman Catholic HS product). However, we don't have speed and talent across the board the way southern states do. Miami teams were always faster and stronger than our teams. The South shines when it comes to athletic defensive fronts and skilled positions.
 
Old 01-02-2015, 01:22 PM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,608,124 times
Reputation: 3225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben1234 View Post
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the clear cut coaching edge the SEC has enjoyed over the past few years. Having the right head coach, and to a lesser extent support staff, is huge in college football. The players are extremely young men (18,19, 20 year old etc.) and they require a lot of guidance on and off the field. When I look back at some of the Big Ten 10 vs. SEC mathcups over the past decade, I remember some woefully unprepared Big Ten teams. The SEC has had big name, big money coaches for quite some time now (Saban, Miles) The Big Ten 10 is finally starting to realize that if you want to win a national title, you need an elite coach. Meyer comes to OSU and they all of a sudden get over the hump and beat a very solid Bama team, coincidence? Of course I'm not saying coaching is more important than the players on the field, but coaching is a much bigger factor in college football than the NFL.
This is a good point. I also agree with BajanYankee to some degree, that the Southern colleges' access to elite African American football players gives them an edge. But looking beyond race itself, anyone who's lived in the south knows that the Gulf Coast and Southeast region, from Texas to the Carolina's (including Georgia and Florida) is the breeding ground for future NFL players. That's not to say you won't find great talent outside the South - Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Brian Urlacher, JJ Watt.... But the endless supply of talent that comes from the South is not insignificant. It's not just a matter of plucking athletes, though. The difference is that these guys who go to SEC schools come from states that play seriously competitive football at the high school level. You'd just have to live in Texas, Louisiana, Georgia, or Florida to know what I'm sayin. Yes, there's Crenshaw High in Los Angeles, but Dallas/Ft Worth, Houston, New Orleans, Orlando/Tampa/Miami...they can produce what L.A. does many times over. Anyone who's been to those high school games on Friday nights knows that it's bleeping intense, life or death stuff. Parents and even students will fight out in the parking lot over this stuff - not kidding.

The thing is, these players who have gone to the SEC schools over the past decade are used to playing with that kind of intensity, and a fair number who play against each other on Saturday afternoons in college have already played with or against each other in high school, and there was no messin' around even at that level. It was all about winning, the touches, the passes, the 80-yard runs in front of crowds sometimes reaching upwards of 20,000 or more.

That doesn't mean that Big Ten, Pac 12, or Big 12 schools can't build elite programs. Indeed, over the past few years, they've really beaten the SEC in terms of building their recruiting. Maybe in some ways the easy access to talent in the south has hurt the SEC in the sense that they may have relied too heavily on talent and haven't evolved in terms of coaching. Other programs have adapted to talent deficits through creative coaching and gotten really good at knowing exactly what kind of player they want and where they can find them. Oregon comes to mind in particular. They know what kind of team they want, they have a recruiting strategy, and they recruit to fill their needs. They don't necessarily have to go to the south to get what they want; it's just that the south is a region that's rich in talent. But if Oregon or Ohio State or Big Red can build a network and get enough players to fit into that philosophical approach to the game, then they can probably build a program that's capable of competing with Alabama, Auburn, or whoever.

FWIW, I would say that based on everything I'm seeing now, the SEC might be on the decline for the next five years. You figure that Nick Saban won't be around forever. Urban Meyer went to Ohio State. There's more parity within the conference, and FSU, Clemson, and Georgia Tech are back. Texas won't be down for long. They'll all fight over recruits.
 
Old 01-02-2015, 01:24 PM
 
16,897 posts, read 8,607,598 times
Reputation: 9697
ESPN Is overrated too..
 
Old 01-02-2015, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
13,720 posts, read 25,531,774 times
Reputation: 9216
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The Big Ten is by far the darling conference. I say this as someone who grew up in the Northeast not caring about college football...at all. Who other than Big Ten alums wants to see an OSU-Michigan game in the Tri-State area? Yet that crap gets forced down our throats year after year. The same is true with ACC basketball and the UNC-Duke rivalry.

I'd say the PAC 12 might be second.

I'm not sure why any Black player would play for an SEC school when they wouldn't even allow you on campus a few decades ago.

And college athletes should receive some type of remuneration.
The Big Ten is by far the darling conference? Coming from a person that didn't care about college football. Who forces this down your throat?

What other misconceptions do you have about the South? Why are blacks moving back to the South? Why is Boston more racist than Atlanta?

Are southern schools in the ACC or Big 12 different than schools in the SEC?

Last edited by hoffdano; 01-02-2015 at 02:00 PM..
 
Old 01-02-2015, 01:36 PM
 
Location: somewhere on I-35 in-between Austin and San Antonio
296 posts, read 424,530 times
Reputation: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
well who is the number one team in the country in basketball at the moment .. as a matter of fact they are said to be the number one and number two at the same time .. .. who is the defending national champs in baseball ? oh yeah .. a weak SEC team from vandy .. who is the defending national champs in softball .. oh yeah ..another weak team from the SEC .. who is the defending champs in gymnastics .. how many championships in womens basketball does tennessee have .. football is not the only reason the SEC is the greatest conference in the country ..we play some pretty good golf and tennis as well ..
Right, in the SEC there is obviously more focus on athletic achievement and less emphasis on education. SEC universities are willing to spend more on athletics (and do pretty much whatever is necessary to win) when compared to other conferences, so you have more programs winning championships.
 
Old 01-02-2015, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Houston, Tx
8,260 posts, read 9,556,776 times
Reputation: 8198
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
ESPN Is overrated too..
Nah, you would have to think highly of them for them to be overrated. ESPN just sucks. They really don't have any competition, so people are forced to watch idiots like Skip Bayless,Stephen A Smith, Paul Finebaum, Micheal Wilbon, Doris Burke, and idiot eye candy "side line reporters" like Erin Andrews who know nothing about sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top