U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2015, 12:02 AM

705 posts, read 537,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Before anyone celebrates, remember the score was only 35-20 not really a dominant victory. No i predicted that the team to beat Oregon was Oregon and oregon did beat themselves with stupid mental errors. The experts where correct about the first half, oregon was beating themselves, easy wide open drop balls, stupid offensive penalties, not capitalising on mistakes and oppertunities. This was much like the arizona game which oregon themselves lost, limiting themselves to less then 200 yards rushing, making stupid mental mistakes. But the saying about football is true "any given sunday".

Much like the Fla st game, Oregon forced 5 turnovers, Oregon this season scored 130 points off turnovers this year. Like i said self imploaded. The team i saw today wasn't the one who scored 130 points off turnovers. Part of it had to do with Ohio St but most of it had to do with Oregon themselves.

But i will agree that Ohio St head coach had his team mentally prepared. Except for the opening drive
Stage fright at Oregon? This team rose up on the Pac-12 Championship stage to beat an Arizona team that had beaten them twice in a row, including a 7 point victory in Eugene. Then they did away with Florida state in the Rose Bowl which has not been as familiar a place to Oregon as it has been to USC.

Remember the score was 42-20 but even a two score victory is convincing.

Anyway these are young players and they aren't going to perform with NFL consistency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Not impressed with mariotta at all. Not a Heisman caliber qb by a longshot
Mariotta was the #3 QB in the Pac-12 this year behind Cody Kessler at USC and Brett Hundley at UCLA. Oregon's propaganda machine funded by Uncle Phil got him the Heisman.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:03 AM

6,657 posts, read 6,424,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
I disagree with this. Give credit where credit is due. OSU's O was much bigger than Oregon's D. And OSU's D was bigger than Oregon's O. That is why OSU beat Oregon. Oregon didn't lose they got beat. Oregon couldn't stop OSU's RB. Oregon couldn't stop OSU's passing attack. OSU forced Oregon to throw the ball more than they were used to which threw off the way Oregon usually plays. Thus Oregon wasn't as successful as they usually are.
Most of the countries lines on both sides are bigger then Oregons, you forget Oregon played Mich St and beat them more then Ohio St did. You forget also that Stanford, USC and Arizona are all far bigger then Oregon and play smash mouth. No oregon leads the nation in takeaways. They also lead in points off turnovers. I disagree with you, Oregon beat themselves more. The Oregon team that doesn't beat themselves showed up on the opening drive. This game looked exactly like the arizona game, alot of offensive penalties, oregon limitted themselves

Pg 1

Old 01-13-2015, 12:08 AM

Pg 2

Continued. Limitting themselves to less then 200 yards rushing, Dropping wide open passes, to arm tackles. Sorry yes i agree that Ohio St played a great game but oregon helped them alot.

I will say Ohio St coach had his team better prepared mentally for the big game. Except the first drive which was vintage oregon not beating themselves.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardown91737 View Post
Stage fright at Oregon? This team rose up on the Pac-12 Championship stage to beat an Arizona team that had beaten them twice in a row, including a 7 point victory in Eugene. Then they did away with Florida state in the Rose Bowl which has not been as familiar a place to Oregon as it has been to USC.

Remember the score was 42-20 but even a two score victory is convincing.

Anyway these are young players and they aren't going to perform with NFL consistency.

Mariotta was the #3 QB in the Pac-12 this year behind Cody Kessler at USC and Brett Hundley at UCLA. Oregon's propaganda machine funded by Uncle Phil got him the Heisman.
Didnt this game remind you of the arizona game in eugene? Less then 200 yards rushing, offensive penalties, stupid dropped balls and arm tackles, not converting on turnovers and oppertunities. No its not stage fright, but oregon beats themselves sometimes with mental laziness. That was just my point, oregon helped ohio st alot.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:24 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,955,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Also Big10 trademarks.

They ran it up the gut all night. Can't get much more B10 than that.
But Big ten never had the combination plays; three yards and cloud of dust type. That is why OU got the heck beat out of them so many times after looking good in Big Ten. Myers used the SEC style which is more like pros. Same thing he did at Florida.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:27 AM

Oh if i remember the reason Mariotta got the Heisman was because he was the only QB this year to complete 280/ 408 attempts, have 40 touchdowns and throw for only 3 interceptions. His qb rating was 184.3 this year. But like anyone knows it also helps to be on a winning team too.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:33 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,240,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB86 View Post
Oregon players are dirty. The extra jabs, holding OSU players down, pull legs and the idiot RB putting his hands on a defensive player face mask is illegal and yet to be called. The first TD that was called no TD on Cardell watch the dirty rotten Oregon player shove the OSU WR over Jones after he was down.

The rotten dirty players on Oregon are getting upset because Ohio St is smacking them around and resorting to playing dirty.
Just a little bias are we? Next time you might want to clean your glasses off before the game.

That said, Ohio State played great and deserved to win.
Congrats Buckeyes fans!

Old 01-13-2015, 12:48 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,955,483 times
Quote:
Oh if i remember the reason Mariotta got the Heisman was because he was the only QB this year to complete 280/ 408 attempts, have 40 touchdowns and throw for only 3 interceptions. His qb rating was 184.3 this year. But like anyone knows it also helps to be on a winning team too.
It was no different in 2006 with the great Texas vs USC game. By the time that game was over there was no doubt who was most valuable player with the current and year before winners on the filed. I say the name Myer at coach likely meant more to recruiting than Ohio State with this team. Great coaches teacher high school athletes great football. Remember; Myer himself thought it would take three years to be at top level again. He did it a year early with new recruits. Both Bama and OU will both return a lot of players next year;should be interesting with OU playing SEC football. Jimmy Johnson did pretty much the same at Miami and then at Dallas. As Myer did at Florida.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:42 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,804,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
But Big ten never had the combination plays; three yards and cloud of dust type. That is why OU got the heck beat out of them so many times after looking good in Big Ten. Myers used the SEC style which is more like pros. Same thing he did at Florida.
Who is OU?

Old 01-13-2015, 06:12 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,610,104 times
Quote:
Didnt this game remind you of the arizona game in eugene? Less then 200 yards rushing, offensive penalties, stupid dropped balls and arm tackles, not converting on turnovers and oppertunities. No its not stage fright, but oregon beats themselves sometimes with mental laziness. That was just my point, oregon helped ohio st alot.
Yeah, but couldn't you say the same of Ohio State? Why does self-implosion only apply to Oregon? Ohio State had a lot to do with Oregon's inability to get going. Oregon had been successful at jamming the football against PAC-12 and even FSU, but not so much against OSU. Ohio State limited the space that Mariota had to work with and I thought the linebackers did an excellent job of moving laterally with Mariota and not committing too early and allowing him to turn up the field for a 30 yard score. In fact, OSU really did what strategy called for: they prevented the big play, which is what you have to do against Oregon. OSU didn't obsess with trying to completely stop Oregon - they knew they couldn't. But they shrugged off the movement of the football and knuckled up when it came to the final 10 yards of the field.

The other side of that is the running game. They gashed Oregon open, which is what most people thought they could do. But in tandem with everything else, they limited the amount of plays that Oregon could run. It was simple math: limit their time and limit their number of plays, and you keep the score manageable. OSU did that the entire game. The Buckeyes had better defensive players than I gave them credit for -- that was probably the one thing that I really underestimated about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or