U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 12:09 PM

6,657 posts, read 6,420,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
OSU didn't let Oregon play their "A" game. You know, your opponent does have *some* impact on the way you play.
Of course, but go watch the first arizona game in eugene. In that game oregon also beat themselves, this and that game looks almost exactly similar. Now look at what Oregon did to Arizona in the PAC-12 championship when they didn't beat themselves? Thats my point. Im not saying that Ohio St wouldn't have beaten Oregon if Oregon wasn't beating themselves or not clicking. But im just sad because one, we didn't get to see a truely awsome, epic game had Oregon been mentally in it. Two it appeared to be a no contest, which is really false( i say this because ohiost and oregon share something in common this year. Both played Mich st. Which Oregon beat Mich st worse then Ohio St did) And the season stats say that Ohio St is just not that dominant. Really honest congrates to Ohio St, im not trying to be ugly or poor sport.

On Any given Sunday. Unfort no rematch

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 01-13-2015 at 12:20 PM..

Old 01-13-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
If we did not have the playoff, we would have had a Florida State - Alabama title game. So while it's not perfect, I think an 8 team playoff would be best, it's still a heck of a lot better than what we had.
Well i believe i read that the four team playoffs are in trial for the next 10 years and if works good they may goto an eight team system? I believe another great option is to breakdown the many conferences to less conferences.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:54 PM

638 posts, read 712,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
It's not 2009; Oregon's not little anymore. I think you'll see that tonight.
LOL Oregons defense got Trucked! by just about every buckeye who had the ball.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:21 PM

5,628 posts, read 4,221,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Of course, but go watch the first arizona game in eugene. In that game oregon also beat themselves, this and that game looks almost exactly similar. Now look at what Oregon did to Arizona in the PAC-12 championship when they didn't beat themselves? Thats my point. Im not saying that Ohio St wouldn't have beaten Oregon if Oregon wasn't beating themselves or not clicking. But im just sad because one, we didn't get to see a truely awsome, epic game had Oregon been mentally in it. Two it appeared to be a no contest, which is really false( i say this because ohiost and oregon share something in common this year. Both played Mich st. Which Oregon beat Mich st worse then Ohio St did) And the season stats say that Ohio St is just not that dominant. Really honest congrates to Ohio St, im not trying to be ugly or poor sport.

I think you can use the 'we beat ourselves' analogy in a lot if not most games. When you lose, something went wrong in the game plan so its easy to say, we beat ourselves but if you watched this game objectively which I think I did.. OSU dominated Oregon on the line of scrimmage and there was simply NOTHING Oregon could do about it. OSU was faster, bigger and stronger.. it was like Varsity playing Jr Varsity. Sure Jr Varsity will get a nice play now and then but most of the time, its minus 3 yards and PUNT. I think if they played 10 times, OSU wins 10 times unless they turn it over 6 or 7 times because 4 turnovers were not enough for Oregon to make this game competitive...

Old 01-13-2015, 02:12 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,608,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow- View Post
LOL Oregons defense got Trucked! by just about every buckeye who had the ball.
They sure did, but I thought they would make more effective use of blitzing and team speed, which they were able to do against Michigan and Florida State. It just didn't happen against OSU. I don't think that's a case of Oregon being "soft", I think it's a matter of OSU being much more physically imposing than I and a lot of others gave them credit for. I won't dance around it - I underestimated Ohio State.

I was more surprised at how physical Ohio State's defense was. Aside from the Wisconsin game, the Buckeyes had not really done much to prove that they were necessarily a solid defensive team. Maybe part of that is that they just never *had* to prove that they were a good defensive team. Maybe they were so used to outscoring opponents and using relentless pressure on offense that defense wasn't a huge concern with them. They did slam the door shut on Wisconsin, but I looked at that as an anomaly. Alabama had no problems scoring on them.

I thought Oregon was going to do the same, but I credit Urban Meyer's coaching staff for the perfect game plan. They were very careful to play within themselves. They understood what they could live with, and what they absolutely needed to get from their defensive unit. They knew when running plays were coming, and they knew when Mariota was going to try to keep it himself. They were careful not to overcommit to anything in the open field and they spaced their players very well and moved with him. When it got into the red zone, they loaded the box. I thought Oregon would win at least half those red zone battles, but not so much.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:17 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,608,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post

Oregon "beat themselves" mainly because Ohio State made them do it. Ohio State beat themselves even worse by turning the ball over four times and yet won by 3 touchdowns. If that's not superiority, I don't know what is. As others have mentioned, without the turnovers, it's probably 45-14 or something like it. Oregon was hanging around and fighting until the early 4th - I'll give them that. But you could see it on the faces of Mariota and everyone else: when they couldn't score and when OSU kept jamming the ball down Oregon's throat, frustration began to set in. They were beaten and if you look at the faces of the Ducks, they knew it.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:22 PM

12,446 posts, read 10,897,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
...They were beaten and if you look at the faces of the Ducks, they knew it.
The game was definitely dominated by OSU - no doubt about it. I'm an Alabama fan, but I have to say they did the same thing with Alabama - physical domination and some darned good option plays.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:23 PM

328 posts, read 328,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I think you can use the 'we beat ourselves' analogy in a lot if not most games. When you lose, something went wrong in the game plan so its easy to say, we beat ourselves but if you watched this game objectively which I think I did.. OSU dominated Oregon on the line of scrimmage and there was simply NOTHING Oregon could do about it. OSU was faster, bigger and stronger.. it was like Varsity playing Jr Varsity. Sure Jr Varsity will get a nice play now and then but most of the time, its minus 3 yards and PUNT. I think if they played 10 times, OSU wins 10 times unless they turn it over 6 or 7 times because 4 turnovers were not enough for Oregon to make this game competitive...

They did not beat themselves at all. Ohio St destroyed them in all aspects of the game.

Those two 6'8" defense ends of Oregons everyone was boasting about both went out of the game hurt.

Many duck players went out from the punishment Ohio St put on them.

No, if Ohio St would have not handed Oregon the ball 3 times Oregon would have been lucky to score 10 points.

Ohio St beat themselves by those fumbles, without them I could see a 55-10 game or close to it.

Oregon players faces surely showed they were out manned big time before halftime.

Even Mariotta on the sidelines was like " What in the heck, this team is beating the crap out of us".

All that speed we heard from ESPN, Fox Sports, here on this forum about Oregon this and Oregon that.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:41 PM

19,520 posts, read 20,898,162 times
I know one thing: I would love to be Ezekial Elliot's agent. He's going to be the second coming of Marshawn Lynch.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:37 AM

Oh brother, talk about big 10 and SEC Bias. You guys are not using logic. The reality is if Oregon lost because Ohio St was bigger and stronger then how in the hell did Oregon beat Mich st worse then Ohio St did or how did they get past Stanford, UCLA, Arizona, Utah etc etc all the teams have bigger stronger lines. Yes Oregon mentally beat themselves. Since none checked out the reference of the Arizona game being almost exactly like this game lets take a look ok. Oregon in the game against Arizona in Eugene rushed for less then 200 yards, Made alot of offensive penalties, the oregon receivers dropped alot of passes and the defense didn't tackle. So its obvious that Arizona is dominant against Oregon? Or was it Oregon beating themselves mentally? Because later Oregon met Arizona in the Pac 12 championship game and beat Arizona 51-13, what was different? Oregon rushed for 324 yards and total offensive was 630, Marcus went 27-40 for 302 yards passing. Recievers were catching, very few penalties and

Pg 1/2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or