U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 11:08 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,847,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Sherman burned Atlanta.
Yes, and Fort Worth can be burned the same way.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:46 PM

4,670 posts, read 6,153,167 times
I'm B10 born and raised but I took Oregon -5.5

Ohio St. beat 'Bama with their 3rd down conversion rate. Oregon's D has the benefit of knowing Jones will/can run the ball on 3rd down, which caught Bama off guard.

A lot of folks think Ohio St. will work the clock and keep Oregon's offense off the field. Oregon is the one team that can score with lightning quickness and doesn't need a lot of time.

Ohio St.'s defense let some pretty sh*tty teams put some points on the board this season.

Oregon's defense is the best it's been since Oregon became Oregon.

Hope it's a barn burner and neither team runs away with it.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:26 PM

2,558 posts, read 3,462,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I'm B10 born and raised but I took Oregon -5.5

Ohio St. beat 'Bama with their 3rd down conversion rate. Oregon's D has the benefit of knowing Jones will/can run the ball on 3rd down, which caught Bama off guard.

A lot of folks think Ohio St. will work the clock and keep Oregon's offense off the field. Oregon is the one team that can score with lightning quickness and doesn't need a lot of time.

Ohio St.'s defense let some pretty sh*tty teams put some points on the board this season.

Oregon's defense is the best it's been since Oregon became Oregon.

Hope it's a barn burner and neither team runs away with it.

Oregon won't be ready for the physicality of Cardale and Zeke's runs. Little guys won't be able to tackle these big runners very easily.
OSU's defense is playing much better at the end of the year here than they did earlier. I don't see us shutting Oregon down a lot but we'll stop them enough times to pull away for the win.

Oregon is 0-8 agaisnt OSU...time to go to 0-9.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:47 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,630,887 times
My final analysis and pick --

I think it ought to be a good contest; this could even be the Hagler-Hearns of the college football world. I think that, offensively, Urban Meyer will use the running game to slow the pace of the game down and to keep the number of plays to a minimum. If Ohio State's offensive line and Ezekiel Elliot can move the ball about 4 to 5 yards and keep it to third and short, then you figure that Cardale Jones will get into a comfort zone. Ohio State knows that FSU was able to run the ball on Oregon with at least some success until they committed those turnovers and started putting FSU's offense into more predictable passing situations. Maybe they can run the ball and not make those mistakes -- and keep the number of plays to a minimum for Oregon. If they can do that and score in the red zone, then that will put pressure on Mariota and the Ducks to score.

But there's a lot of *if* in that paragaph.

I think Oregon's speed is going to be the deciding factor, and I don't mean just on offense - that's where all the focus is, but I really think people need to look at Oregon's team speed and physical play on defense. Both teams will probably have early success on offense, but if I were to guess which team is going to make the right adjustments, I'd say Oregon. They will dial up blitzes and start putting the pressure on Cardale Jones to get rid of the ball. He's good at throwing the deep ball and that was something they were able to exploit with Alabama's weak pass coverage and diminished line strength. Oregon is a different beast, though. They use timing and speed. They use angles of attack. They're sneaky. They will disguise blitzes well and I think that this is where sophomores for OSU are going to get exposed.

Offensively, they can practice all they want, but there is no way Ohio State will be prepared for what Oregon does on offense. They might have a little less speed to worry about at WR, but I don't think that Carrington is irreplaceable. The system that Oregon runs has the pieces in place that it needs. The offensive line is probably the best in the nation in executing its offensive game plan, play after play.

I think Ohio State might get out to an early lead and land a few punches to the nose so to speak - maybe they jump out to a 17-7 or 21-7 lead. But I think the angry lion will awaken soon enough and flat out maul the Buckeyes in the second half. I like Oregon, maybe 45-34.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:49 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,630,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Oregon won't be ready for the physicality of Cardale and Zeke's runs. Little guys won't be able to tackle these big runners very easily.
OSU's defense is playing much better at the end of the year here than they did earlier. I don't see us shutting Oregon down a lot but we'll stop them enough times to pull away for the win.

It's not 2009; Oregon's not little anymore. I think you'll see that tonight.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:53 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,944,285 times
I have zero reason to choose the Ducks, so I'm choosing the Ducks.

And they've never won before.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:12 PM

4,670 posts, read 6,153,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post

What position do you play, homer?

Old 01-12-2015, 03:35 PM

32,522 posts, read 17,845,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
What position do you play, homer?
Armchair Expert!

I don't care who wins, I just want to see a good game. I am chilling the brewskies on ice in preparation. But if I had to choose, I will go with Oregon. Simply because they beat OU (Oklahoma) a few years back. Anyone who beats OU is my second favorite team.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:35 PM

328 posts, read 331,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Try and re-read my post and think about what I wrote. I was responding to someone who claimed that the Bucks have been doing some conditioning to prepare for the Ducks. At this point tOSU will not be doing that because if they haven't already, it would have been a waste of time.

This Oregon team is far superior to the 2009 team that was qb'd by a 5'9" JC transfer that was really just capable of trucking dbs. The current rbs were 5 stars out of hs and Royce Freeman has more yards rushing than LaMichael James had when he was a frosh (guess we will see how they compare at the end of their career). The offense may have ran plays faster then, but defenses across the country have adapted and Oregon doesn't run the zone read the same way they did 5 years ago. The wrs are better than 2009 and we are overall bigger, stronger, and better. The defensive/offensive front is also bigger too. I guess we will see if they are better than tOSU tomorrow.

Both teams are far different than they were 5 years ago. So, feel free to look back at 2009 and cling to that, but come tomorrow it will not matter. Half of the kids for both teams were 13 or 14 years old the last time we met.

Win or lose, I will be there hoping the Ducks keep rolling and are fortunate to claim their first National Championship. I am confident they are ready for this game.
LOL

I did re read it and you mentioned the team from 09-10 so I responded.

tOregon is fast, larger, stronger for sure.

And Ohio St is faster, stronger, extremely more talented, has the best coach in college, a very good 3rd string QB and Brutus, who ate the Duck for supper.

My hope is Ohio St as they did with Alabama just beats them up physically.

Mich St was right with them until they started making mistakes.

Whoever turns the ball over will be in trouble.

I cannot remember a better matchup game for a title in many years.

This playoff worked out well for everyone involved and the season was very exciting start to finish.

Either way, Ohio St or tOregon will finish 1 or 2 which is fine by me.

Oregon was expected to be here, Ohio St was not.

Let them game begin. Time to see some football!!!

Now you all know why I love college football far better then the NFL which is boring until you get into round two of the playoffs.

It has been a fantastic year for college football fans. I think we can all agree with that.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:38 PM

328 posts, read 331,517 times
Quacky got ran over by Brutus.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or