U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 11:56 AM

9,701 posts, read 7,264,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where2now22 View Post
AAlabama is very beatable...I am very confident The Ohio State would whoop that azz, AGAIN!!!!
For some reason, OSU fans appear to have been watching a different game last year. The OSU-Bama game was very close, that came down to the final possession. Either team could have won. Yet for some odd reason OSU fans always say OSU "destroyed" Bama. If they played that game 10 times last year, I would bet on Bama winning the majority, as there were tons of turnovers and special teams miscues that had nothing to do with OSU, and their QB had his worst game of the year.

There is no reason to think that OSU would beat Bama this year. Unlike last year, Bama has a fantastic defense. Last year's defense was a dumpster fire; they were in the BCS because of fantastic offensive production. OSU has been weak all year, despite a pathetic schedule and were beaten by MSU (frankly manhandled in that game). If OSU wanted to repeat they should have won their division, but they didn't even make it to the division game.

My guess is that Bama would have beated OSU by at least three touchdowns this year. They're simply a much better team. Their defense is entirely rebuilt and has mostly different players from last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 01:12 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,551,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where2now22 View Post
After last years National Championship win, I said to myself that I am willing to accept a down year. We'll I have changed my mind after seeing The Ohio State handle a good Notre Dame team. This year has been a very hard pill to swallow especially considering the teams remaining. I am not impressed with Clemson (weak team and weak schedule). Alabama is very beatable...I am very confident The Ohio State would whoop that azz, AGAIN!!!! The Buckeye D line and O line would handle both squads. Zeke would run for 200 yards against both. But, all that cant happen because they choked against a sucky Michigan State team. Speaking of them, Northwestern, Iowa and MSU embarrassed the Big Ten. They should be suspended from Big Ten play. WTF was that!!! Finally, Thanks to the team up north for beating the crap out of Florida! Season's over, I am done!
Oh please, OSU had one of the easiest schedules in CF. OSU only played two good teams and lost to one of them

Old 01-02-2016, 05:19 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,810,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattClyde View Post
Oh please, OSU had one of the easiest schedules in CF. OSU only played two good teams and lost to one of them
Eight of Ohio State's opponents have played in bowls, with four of those teams winning their bowl games. So, I don't agree that Ohio State had one of the easiest schedules in college football, no matter what some ranking system might say. Every one of Ohio State's opponents is a stronger program than Middle Tennessee, Louisiana-Monroe and Charleston Southern (sans maybe Hawaii).

I certainly believe Ohio State had the talent this season and that coaching failed them. I felt all along that Barrett should've been the starter, and I don't like two-QB systems. That said, the performance on the field and the loss to Sparty deservedly knocked the Buckeyes out of national championship contention. Maybe they would've beat Bama again, and maybe not. Credit Bama for taking it to Sparty. Michigan State dared Bama to beat them with the passing game, and Bama did. We'll see if they can do the same to Clemson. Urban will have the Buckeyes back in the hunt at some point.

Last edited by grmasterb; 01-02-2016 at 06:35 PM..

Old 01-02-2016, 05:23 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,513,271 times
They may have underperformed against MSU, but their coaching was awful that game. They kept on running QB run plays. What the heck happened to Zeke?

Old 01-02-2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
They may have underperformed against MSU, but their coaching was awful that game. They kept on running QB run plays. What the heck happened to Zeke?
It goes back further than that. They tried to run an offense more designed for Barrett when starting Jones. And Jalin Marshall has not stepped up and taken over the Devin Smith role like he was supposed to.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:48 PM

3,807 posts, read 6,536,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
For some reason, OSU fans appear to have been watching a different game last year. The OSU-Bama game was very close, that came down to the final possession. Either team could have won. Yet for some odd reason OSU fans always say OSU "destroyed" Bama. If they played that game 10 times last year, I would bet on Bama winning the majority, as there were tons of turnovers and special teams miscues that had nothing to do with OSU, and their QB had his worst game of the year.

There is no reason to think that OSU would beat Bama this year. Unlike last year, Bama has a fantastic defense. Last year's defense was a dumpster fire; they were in the BCS because of fantastic offensive production. OSU has been weak all year, despite a pathetic schedule and were beaten by MSU (frankly manhandled in that game). If OSU wanted to repeat they should have won their division, but they didn't even make it to the division game.

My guess is that Bama would have beated OSU by at least three touchdowns this year. They're simply a much better team. Their defense is entirely rebuilt and has mostly different players from last year.
OSU fans must have been watching another game. Alabama was leading for the 11st half. The 3rd 1st was when tOSU started to show up and the 4th 1st was when Bama started to close the gape. If you beat a team by a TDcare less than that was not a dominant game. 38-0 is a dominant game ! Winning by a touch down just means that the game could have went either way and the team that won had a better chance.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:58 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,956,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post

I think many use the phrase "destroy" simply because after the first quarter OSU outscored Bama 36-21. Remember that Vegas odds makers had Bama by 9 in that game too. A 9 point underdog rips off 36 points in the second half to go on to win gives off the impression of Bama got man handled.

The score was close obviously but when you go back and actually look at the game film OSU clearly out played Bama in the second half. If you play that second half 9 more times OSU wins all of them. You could see it the body language of the Bama O-Line and in the performance of Blake Sims. The Bama O-Line wanted nothing to do with OSU's front 7 in that second half.

You and I can sit here along with others til we're all blue in the face and outline different variables that impacted that game but at the end of the day the game was played, OSU won, went on to win the first national title in the playoff era and that's how it will always be until the good lord strips this down and starts over again.

Now to the present haha. We'll never know what an OSU / Bama rematch would entail. If they played that game then you and I wouldn't be on here offering "what ifs" and "half truths" about the possibility. I think the powers that be clearly wanted an OSU / Bama rematch (especially in the title game itself). A marquee match up like that would have given amazing ratings. And when OSU lost they got pissed and made sure that Michigan State played Bama to get them out of the way and put Oklahoma up against Clemson HOPING for an Oklahoma / Bama showdown. Half that worked out for them.

Which BTW did anyone else see the ratings for this years semi games? Both games down 6 points from last year's. Now yes they were done on New Years Eve I get that, but come on. NYE does not eliminate 6 whole ratings points. The fact is of these 4 teams only Oklahoma and Bama have national followings at best and none of the match ups created watchable draws. Clemson v. Oklahoma? who cares. Bama v. MSU? same thing.

Last year you had the MIGHTY Oregon PAC-12 offense with their heisman QB versus one of the most hated programs in America FSU and their former Heisman AND the most successful program in America these last few years in Alabama versus an underdog Big Ten team that had really a bunch of nobodies prior to the big ten championship game being led by their 3rd string QB. All of those factors made for some great drama.

Repeat or no Ohio State got their bowl win, sent their seniors out appropriately, will be losing a ton to the draft and will hopefully have lower expectations in 2016 haha.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:13 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,956,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattClyde View Post

I love this argument because SOS has little meaning whatsoever. It's an objective variable used by espn and their "experts" to subjectively justify why they think this team is better than that team and conversely then people on this website think "well hey if lee corso says it, it must be true". Listen up folks. Lee Corso is a moron. He's 80 ok? He and Dick Clark are in the same boat. Rant over :-)

to your "statement". I being nice by naming it that btw.

OSU's schedule had 6 teams on it that competed in bowls and those 6 went 2-4. Not amazing I get it.

Bama's schedule had 10 teams on it play in bowl games going 8-2 this bowl season. Impressive yes.

Oklahoma played 8 teams who made bowls going 5-3. Not bad IMO.

Clemson played 6 teams who made bowls going 1-5 (HORRIBLE). And Clemson is playing Bama in the national title game.

By your logic and well ESPN's Clemson should have been waxed by Oklahoma and will get owned by Alabama. I'll be back on January 12th and we can discuss what happened.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
I love this argument because SOS has little meaning whatsoever. It's an objective variable used by espn and their "experts" to subjectively justify why they think this team is better than that team and conversely then people on this website think "well hey if lee corso says it, it must be true". Listen up folks. Lee Corso is a moron. He's 80 ok? He and Dick Clark are in the same boat. Rant over :-)

to your "statement". I being nice by naming it that btw.

OSU's schedule had 6 teams on it that competed in bowls and those 6 went 2-4. Not amazing I get it.

Bama's schedule had 10 teams on it play in bowl games going 8-2 this bowl season. Impressive yes.

Oklahoma played 8 teams who made bowls going 5-3. Not bad IMO.

Clemson played 6 teams who made bowls going 1-5 (HORRIBLE). And Clemson is playing Bama in the national title game.

By your logic and well ESPN's Clemson should have been waxed by Oklahoma and will get owned by Alabama. I'll be back on January 12th and we can discuss what happened.
I may have to double check, but I counted 8 Ohio State opponents in bowls going 4-4. But, hey, credit Bama for playing that brutal non-conference schedule that included Middle Tennessee, UL-Monroe and Charleston Southern.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:37 PM

529 posts, read 280,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I may have to double check, but I counted 8 Ohio State opponents in bowls going 4-4. But, hey, credit Bama for playing that brutal non-conference schedule that included Middle Tennessee, UL-Monroe and Charleston Southern.
When your in conference includes such juggernauts as Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Rutgers and Maryland I guess you better schedule some stellar non-con opponents like Western Michigan, Northern illinois and Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football