U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-21-2015, 05:50 PM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
2,091 posts, read 3,019,580 times
Reputation: 864

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Meh. Agriculture.. No surprise. Engineering? Doubtful. Pretty sure there are other engineering programs in other power 5 Texas schools better than a&m (Baylor, and UT I would imagine). Much less all the power 5 schools combined.

Agree with pretty much everything else though.
Funny, my wife's brother is a mathematical genius. He was accepted to all the top Engineering schools- M.I.T, Cal Tech, Stanford, UT, etc. He actually liked A&M's program the best of the lot. Guess it worked out for him as he is now working for Google, as one of the main engineers on Project Wing. I think A&M is pretty highly ranked though-much higher than when he went through the program. Just a quick search has them ranked 8th by US News. However, I totally agree with Chickenfried- those academic rankings can be bogus a lot of the times.

All I care though is I always beat him in Trivial Pursuit. Take that engineer!

Last edited by Acuda; 01-21-2015 at 05:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-21-2015, 06:01 PM
 
Location: The Dirty South.
1,573 posts, read 1,432,226 times
Reputation: 1097
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Meh. Agriculture.. No surprise. Engineering? Doubtful. Pretty sure there are other engineering programs in other power 5 Texas schools better than a&m (Baylor, and UT I would imagine). Much less all the power 5 schools combined.

Agree with pretty much everything else though.
You should take your UT shades off. A&m is academically better than ut and a good amount of sec schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2015, 11:37 PM
 
Location: The Bayou City
3,220 posts, read 3,740,307 times
Reputation: 1457
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
You should take your UT shades off. A&m is academically better than ut and a good amount of sec schools.
My allegiance doesnt belong to UT, but I'm not about to make the claim a&m is academically better than UT. I don't know how anyone could say that. Pretty sure you're the first person I've ever heard that from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2015, 06:20 AM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,345 posts, read 14,113,036 times
Reputation: 5964
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
You should take your UT shades off. A&m is academically better than ut and a good amount of sec schools.
According to US News, who regularly ranks schools academically, Texas A&M is 68th nationally. That does put A&M ahead of most of the SEC academically. It does not, however put A&M ahead of UT who ranks 53rd.

National Universities Rankings

(the college football forum seems an odd place to fight over academics)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2015, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Hialeah, Florida
506 posts, read 343,041 times
Reputation: 1334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Funny, my wife's brother is a mathematical genius. He was accepted to all the top Engineering schools- M.I.T, Cal Tech, Stanford, UT, etc. He actually liked A&M's program the best of the lot. Guess it worked out for him as he is now working for Google, as one of the main engineers on Project Wing. I think A&M is pretty highly ranked though-much higher than when he went through the program. Just a quick search has them ranked 8th by US News. However, I totally agree with Chickenfried- those academic rankings can be bogus a lot of the times.

All I care though is I always beat him in Trivial Pursuit. Take that engineer!
Maybe your wife's mathematical genius brother liked Texas A&M the best because it was the easiest program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2015, 05:36 PM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
2,091 posts, read 3,019,580 times
Reputation: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrasshat View Post
Maybe your wife's mathematical genius brother liked Texas A&M the best because it was the easiest program.
Actually, he thought the other programs were full of nerds. Since he got hired at Google and is a lead engineer on a Google X project, I'm willing to bet his work ethic, dedication, and competitive drive is probably fairly strong and he would have done well in any program. I mean, he still tries to beat me at Trivial Pursuit even though he loses each time (don't mess with someone who has a degree in history, anthropology, and geography, who likes sports and teaches science- I pretty much cornered every category and rule that game during the holidays)

But, good inference there, chief. Brilliant.

Last edited by Acuda; 01-26-2015 at 06:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2015, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Hialeah, Florida
506 posts, read 343,041 times
Reputation: 1334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Actually, he thought the other programs were full of nerds. Since he got hired at Google and is a lead engineer on a Google X project, I'm willing to bet his work ethic, dedication, and competitive drive is probably fairly strong and he would have done well in any program. I mean, he still tries to beat me at Trivial Pursuit even though he loses each time (don't mess with someone who has a degree in history, anthropology, and geography, who likes sports and teaches science- I pretty much cornered every category and rule that game during the holidays)

But, good inference there, chief. Brilliant.
I'm sorry I did not realize that I was dealing with an individual as brilliant as you, which is why it is even more puzzling to me why your suggesting that Texas A&M's academic standards are equivalent with other Universities simply because your mathematical genius brother in-law is a graduate. If you take a few steps back, you might be able to see the poor foundation on which your claim is based. Texas A&M very well could have the highest academic standard in the world, but your brother in law's attendance is not proof of this.

From your comments what is actually apparent is that your mathematical genius brother in law actually did not like the other programs because these so called "nerds" bring his mathematical genius designation into serious question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2015, 03:04 PM
 
Location: The Bayou City
3,220 posts, read 3,740,307 times
Reputation: 1457
Dang this guy is good...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2015, 07:06 PM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
2,091 posts, read 3,019,580 times
Reputation: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrasshat View Post
I'm sorry I did not realize that I was dealing with an individual as brilliant as you, which is why it is even more puzzling to me why your suggesting that Texas A&M's academic standards are equivalent with other Universities simply because your mathematical genius brother in-law is a graduate. If you take a few steps back, you might be able to see the poor foundation on which your claim is based. Texas A&M very well could have the highest academic standard in the world, but your brother in law's attendance is not proof of this.

From your comments what is actually apparent is that your mathematical genius brother in law actually did not like the other programs because these so called "nerds" bring his mathematical genius designation into serious question.
What is even more puzzling is the fact you completely disregarded the context of the conversation when I mentioned my mathematical genius brother-in-law. It is clear we are in the midst of another genius right here and now- I mean, wow- the ability to take my response to another earlier poster marginalizing a relatively high ranked engineering program. Then extrapolating it into me suggesting A&M is the absolute equivalent of every program because my BIL went there. But, masters of debate such as yourself take it to the next level, the proverbial 11, us mortals can never dream to achieve- completely ignoring the fact that even in my original statement, it was clearly written that I thought the program is ranked much higher now compared to when he went through it (and only mentioning it was more than likely thought of as pretty good). But the coup de grace- you infer he more than likely went to A&M because he was concerned he wouldn't measure up intellectually- and then go on to mock my comments' foundation as rather weak, like we are in the courtroom. Masterful indeed. Actually, bottom line- he was far more concerned that he would be brought down to their level of social inadequacy- Dungeon and Dragonitus I believe it is called- rather contagious.

Now, if you think my response was in anyway the opening salvo for a basis of an argument that A&M is viewed as stronger or even equal to all other programs, shoot, you're wrong. I would probably add some charts, a few graphs, maybe a professional looking PowerPoint. I hear those are the new latest rage. Frankly, I do not know enough about engineering programs to state with any certainty how good programs are. In fact, few do unless they have been to every program. What I do know, just as other posters like Chickenfried (go read his post) believe, is those rankings are bunk. You can get a good education at a lot of schools in every major. A great education for one may not be great for another. There are a lot of schools that have outstanding programs that one would not have guessed. My mathematical genius brother-in-law is proof that you can achieve high levels of success by going to what some may consider a lesser school. There will still be people out there thinking a school like A&M is full of farmers and maybe a couple ROTC dudes all with giant class rings and rather strange traditions (coming from an outsider).

But, let's address your final comment and ignore one last thing- Google is notoriously difficult to get hired at. There is major competition- tons of applicants from those top universities with lots of experience, you know. I learned that from Zite, and maybe a few picture books I read from time to time. And since he did go to a lesser program with far less respect, with less of an alumni network, surely his mathematical genius designation would have gotten exposed during the interview process. I wonder if he knows he is more than likely surrounded by graduates he did everything in his power to avoid when he went to college, because, I mean, the whole head to head thing. Oh, wait, now I got it, maybe Google X is just a politically correct way of saying- Special Ed. of Google. Yup, that's it- my BIL is SPED...that's why I always beat him in Trivial Pursuit.

No more discussion on my mathematical genius brother-in-law. We are off topic in 3,2,1...

Last edited by Acuda; 01-27-2015 at 08:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2015, 07:44 PM
 
328 posts, read 329,173 times
Reputation: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Dude, you serious? You do realize that the Big 12 has the next highest top 2 teams (3 and 7) after the Big 10..? By your logic the Big 12 should be the second best conference. So how is the big 12 "way overrated"? If anything it's underrated since people brush off Baylor and TCU as being flukes, just like yourself. But look at the history. Baylor has the highest winning percentage out of all the big 12 schools, FOR THE LAST FOUR YEARS. The last time the Bears lost at home? October 2012 (against TCU). This season was no fluke. If you don't recall, Baylor finished the season 11-2 last year as well. It took him a few years, but once Briles got the program up and running Baylor became one of the most unstoppable/potent offenses in the nation. And Bennett has turned the defense around and is improving on their performance year after year. Oh, and Balyor continues to pull the best recruits it's ever landed.. capped off this year by the recent commitment of 5* dual threat QB Jarrett Stidham.

Having the highest winning percentage in a conference with good teams going downhill fast means zero.

TCU or Baylor would not beat Ohio St, Alabama or Oregon in my opinion. They could have beaten Fla St but none of the other three.

B12 is overrated with only two decent schools with good teams. The rest of the conference is extremely weak and Texas and Oklahoma becoming has beens.

Do not forget Baylor got hammered physically by the 4th best team in the BIG 10 Michigan St.

When the 4th best team in the B10 best what you call the best B12 that tells us something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top