U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 09:15 PM

2,091 posts, read 3,019,580 times

Advertisements

Is this Oregon's starting QB next year? Vernon Adams is a straight stud. He destroyed both Oregon State and UW, so his talent is undeniable. The kid is very level headed and decided to take a chance and try his hand vs. the big boys of D-1. Many recruiting experts in the West have said he would have been rated higher out of high school had he not been so short. Guess we will see if Big Play V.A. will live up to expectations in Eugene next year.

[vimeo]98390750[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/98390750
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 12:39 AM

3 posts, read 1,681 times
people try to hard to rate conferences and overlook most of the teams themselves.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:13 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,935,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Actually, A&M is indeed one of the best schools academically - at least in terms of engineering and agriculture. You won't find an A&M graduate becoming an internationally-renowned expert on 14th Century Russian Literature, but uh, I kinda doubt the average Aggie grad cares.

I think that posters constantly injecting academics into a discussion about sports is kinda lame. I'm a graduate of an SEC school (undergrad) but completed a grad school program at a pretty exclusive private institution and I've lived all over the nation and even in another country. Not that any of that matters, but I've had plenty of opportunities to evaluate the intellectual heft of graduates from different schools in different regions of the United States. I've not been especially impressed with any graduates of Big10 or ACC schools any more than I have been someone from an SEC college. Academic rankings are nothing but puffery, buoyed mainly by factors such as selectivity among high school graduates and how much money people are willing to pay to put a particular institution's name on their degree. These rankings are not really evaluating quality of instruction or the resources available to students. But more to the point, it's pretty clear that when you interview star athletes from other conferences, they're not exactly Rhodes scholars, either.
There are several schools ranked ahead of Texas A&M, like Georgia Tech, Cal, Stanford, Michigan, Purdue, Texas, etc. It is NOT one of the best engineering schools in the U.S.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:09 PM

1,573 posts, read 1,432,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
There are several schools ranked ahead of Texas A&M, like Georgia Tech, Cal, Stanford, Michigan, Purdue, Texas, etc. It is NOT one of the best engineering schools in the U.S.
Strange because in Texas Texas a&m has a reputation as being the school for engineering.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:16 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,935,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Strange because in Texas Texas a&m has a reputation as being the school for engineering.
That's fine IN TEXAS, but outside of Texas there are several schools with a much more prestigious reputation. Texas A&M is way down the list.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:18 AM

5,414 posts, read 7,715,995 times
As the season ended from last year ranking the best teams of the Top 5 is as follows:

B1G
PAC
SEC
ACC
BXII

Old 04-17-2015, 01:13 PM

1,573 posts, read 1,432,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
As the season ended from last year ranking the best teams of the Top 5 is as follows:

B1G
PAC
SEC
ACC
BXII
I still think overall the sec is the best conference. My dark horse teams in. The sec darkhorses this coming year are Tennessee, Florida and A&M. I think a&m will lose two games next season.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:40 PM

1,673 posts, read 2,361,438 times
Why are we talking about academics in a college football forum? To me people who bring up academics when the conversation is obviously about football are usually fans of a program who hasn't won any type of championship in the modern era.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:14 PM

933 posts, read 1,208,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrasshat View Post
Football Ranked:

Academically ranked:

1. ACC
2. BIG 10
3. Pac 12

4. BIG 12

5. SEC
Just looking at your academic ranks, I think you have the Big 10 and the ACC switched. Duke and Northwestern are comparable and while I guess you can say, for the next tier, the ACC has UVA/UNC, while the Big 10 only has Michigan, the difference is the Big 10 has much more academic depth than the ACC. Wisconsin, Illinois, MSU, PSU, Rutgers, Indiana, etc. >> Syracuse, Pitt, Miami, FSU, NCSU, etc.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:07 PM
Status: "Phillies baseball is MLB dysentery." (set 3 days ago)

1,240 posts, read 584,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
Just looking at your academic ranks, I think you have the Big 10 and the ACC switched. Duke and Northwestern are comparable and while I guess you can say, for the next tier, the ACC has UVA/UNC, while the Big 10 only has Michigan, the difference is the Big 10 has much more academic depth than the ACC. Wisconsin, Illinois, MSU, PSU, Rutgers, Indiana, etc. >> Syracuse, Pitt, Miami, FSU, NCSU, etc.
Boston College, The Georgia Institute of Technology, and Wake Forest University should have headlined the part in bold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or