U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 11:54 AM

6,611 posts, read 6,935,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Boston College, The Georgia Institute of Technology, and Wake Forest University should have headlined the part in bold.
Three highly respected institutions that were completely (conveniently) overlooked. And don't forget Notre Dame.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 04-18-2015 at 12:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
Just looking at your academic ranks, I think you have the Big 10 and the ACC switched. Duke and Northwestern are comparable and while I guess you can say, for the next tier, the ACC has UVA/UNC, while the Big 10 only has Michigan, the difference is the Big 10 has much more academic depth than the ACC. Wisconsin, Illinois, MSU, PSU, Rutgers, Indiana, etc. >> Syracuse, Pitt, Miami, FSU, NCSU, etc.
I think it was exactly right...Duke and Northwestern are comparable, but Duke consistently ranks higher and has a much higher profile. The ACC has plenty of depth by comparison, with Duke, UVA, UNC, Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, Miami, Syracuse, and Boston College ranked in the top 50 and Pitt/Clemson/Virginia Tech ranked just outside of that. NC State and Florida State are both still in the top 100, and Louisville is the only one ranked lower than 100. The ACC is a pretty stout competitor when it comes to academics, and you conveniently left out some of the best in the ACC.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:01 PM

5,414 posts, read 7,715,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
I still think overall the sec is the best conference. My dark horse teams in. The sec darkhorses this coming year are Tennessee, Florida and A&M. I think a&m will lose two games next season.
I'm not talking top to bottom best overall conferences. I'm regarding the best teams at the TOP of their conference.

Ohio St. (and maybe even Michigan) is gonna be tough competition for the SEC Big Dogs for years to come.

(SEC has Bama, to a lesser extent LSU, and Florida when Urban Meyer was there fulfilling that role as the top teams in a otherwise average conference.....much to the dismay of ESPN and all the SEC Hype folks wanting to assert it's the best conference from top to bottom year in and year out.)

Old 04-22-2015, 08:26 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
Just looking at your academic ranks, I think you have the Big 10 and the ACC switched. Duke and Northwestern are comparable and while I guess you can say, for the next tier, the ACC has UVA/UNC, while the Big 10 only has Michigan, the difference is the Big 10 has much more academic depth than the ACC. Wisconsin, Illinois, MSU, PSU, Rutgers, Indiana, etc. >> Syracuse, Pitt, Miami, FSU, NCSU, etc.
Five years ago I think having the ACC in front of the B1G was correct. Now I don't think that's the case anymore... they added Louisville for crying out loud... it's arguably the weakest academic school of any Power Five conference team.

Still, it's pretty close. The separation between the B1G, the ACC, and the PAC is fairly slim. But ultimately it's the dead weight at the bottom of the ACC and PAC which puts the B1G in first (their weakest schools would be average or above-average in any other conference).

The SEC actually has better academics than the Big 12. Outside of Texas and TCU (and maybe Baylor), they don't have a lot to crow about. The SEC has Vanderbilt (a very strong school and is better than anything the Big 12 has to offer), Florida (comparable to Texas), Georgia and Texas A&M would be in the Top 3, and Alabama and Auburn would be better than any B12 school not in the state of Texas. Their weakest schools (MSU, Kentucky, etc) are no worse than the Big 12's weakest schools (WVU, OK State, Texas Tech, etc)

Old 04-23-2015, 11:27 PM

1,573 posts, read 1,432,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I'm not talking top to bottom best overall conferences. I'm regarding the best teams at the TOP of their conference.

Ohio St. (and maybe even Michigan) is gonna be tough competition for the SEC Big Dogs for years to come.

(SEC has Bama, to a lesser extent LSU, and Florida when Urban Meyer was there fulfilling that role as the top teams in a otherwise average conference.....much to the dismay of ESPN and all the SEC Hype folks wanting to assert it's the best conference from top to bottom year in and year out.)
Sec also has Texas a&m on the rise, Arkansas, Georgia, Mizzou, auburn etc.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Five years ago I think having the ACC in front of the B1G was correct. Now I don't think that's the case anymore... they added Louisville for crying out loud... it's arguably the weakest academic school of any Power Five conference team.

Still, it's pretty close. The separation between the B1G, the ACC, and the PAC is fairly slim. But ultimately it's the dead weight at the bottom of the ACC and PAC which puts the B1G in first (their weakest schools would be average or above-average in any other conference).

The SEC actually has better academics than the Big 12. Outside of Texas and TCU (and maybe Baylor), they don't have a lot to crow about. The SEC has Vanderbilt (a very strong school and is better than anything the Big 12 has to offer), Florida (comparable to Texas), Georgia and Texas A&M would be in the Top 3, and Alabama and Auburn would be better than any B12 school not in the state of Texas. Their weakest schools (MSU, Kentucky, etc) are no worse than the Big 12's weakest schools (WVU, OK State, Texas Tech, etc)
The ACC has 6 schools ranked outside the top 50 while the B1G has 9. The ACC has 9 schools ranked in the top 50 while the B1G has 5. Each has 1 school outside of the top 100. Louisville is a good bit lower than any B1G school, but Duke is higher than any B1G school. It sounds like the ACC is a little ahead of the B1G to me.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:43 PM

144 posts, read 156,805 times
LOL. These rankings must include the women's sports. The Pac 12 hasn't won jack in men's sports in years. For college football, the SEC is still king of the mountain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
I just saw that ESPN posted their rankings of the Power 5 conferences. This is how they ranked them:

1. PAC-12
2. SEC
3. Big 12
4. Big 10
5. ACC

I agree with that. I think the top 2 are close. I think the Big 12 and 10 are close and I agree with the ACC being number 5. What do you think?

Old 04-27-2015, 01:44 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGarrison View Post
LOL. These rankings must include the women's sports. The Pac 12 hasn't won jack in men's sports in years. For college football, the SEC is still king of the mountain.
Fair or not, you know the league is getting mad props when Alabama is still widely viewed as the team to beat, even though they haven't won it all since the conclusion of the 2012 season. It may well be that way until Saban calls it a career.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:14 AM

8,399 posts, read 8,388,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Strange because in Texas Texas a&m has a reputation as being the school for engineering.
Maybe in B-CS it does, but UT has a higher ranked engineering program - civil, mech., electric, petroleum, etc., while A&M excels at Ag engineering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
That's fine IN TEXAS, but outside of Texas there are several schools with a much more prestigious reputation. Texas A&M is way down the list.
Check out the world university rankings sometime, you might be surprised.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:16 AM

8,399 posts, read 8,388,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
As the season ended from last year ranking the best teams of the Top 5 is as follows:

B1G
PAC
SEC
ACC
BXII
And we can thank Nebraska, A&M, & Mizzou for that.... along with DeLoss Dodds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or