U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 03:43 AM

17,032 posts, read 26,866,938 times

Advertisements

Lou Holtz leaves ESPN on 'mutual agreement' - SBNation.com

I think its a good decision by both parties. It was becoming sad to watch Lou, kind of like Madden the last couple years. He still had his moments but you could tell they were phasing away from him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 08:50 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,158,624 times
It was sad years ago. Long overdue.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:31 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,121,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post

I think its a good decision by both parties. It was becoming sad to watch Lou, kind of like Madden the last couple years. He still had his moments but you could tell they were phasing away from him.
Sad to hear this about Lou Holtz, actually.

The same thing may eventually happen to Lee Corso...

Old 04-14-2015, 09:54 AM

731 posts, read 357,924 times
Considering he can barely speak coherently at this point, it's really for the best.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:58 AM

1,665 posts, read 751,354 times
Sorry to see Lou leave ESPN, but agree it's long overdue.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:34 AM

950 posts, read 714,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post

A good lesson for older people who believe they are the most valuable employee and are just as sharp/productive as ever.

Many employees, athletes, and sports announcers should retire while still being productive rather than having the boss show you the door.

Boxers were the worst.
Pathetic to watch an over-the-hill boxer getting pounded who was once great.

Have some pride !
Retire on your own terms while you still.................."got it"

Old 04-17-2015, 11:27 AM

2,011 posts, read 2,011,689 times
I am happy to see him gone, like most have said this was long overdue. He too often would speak from his heart and not his brain.

Notre Dame could be 0 and 6 and play the number one team in the nation and he would still pick Notre Dame to win.

He once on air referred to USC as University of Spoiled Children. That was something college studets might say, not a "professional" analyst.

He needed to go.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:05 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,717,705 times
I don't feel sorry for Lou Holtz at all. Possibly the worst sports analyst I've ever seen. Barely coherent, rarely correct, yet was paid huge amounts of money.

Hey, if it were Ernie the school janitor being put out to pasture, that would be one thing. But Lou Holtz has been backing up to the pay table for years.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:02 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,923,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I don't feel sorry for Lou Holtz at all. Possibly the worst sports analyst I've ever seen. Barely coherent, rarely correct, yet was paid huge amounts of money.

Hey, if it were Ernie the school janitor being put out to pasture, that would be one thing. But Lou Holtz has been backing up to the pay table for years.
I wouldn't say he was the worst sports analysts because he had some great insight, but his speech was generating way too much saliva and he often didn't finish words. I felt sorry for him but couldn't listen to him anymore.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:36 AM

1,578 posts, read 982,048 times
I like Holtz, and appreciated his insights.. But I'm in basic agreement w/you guys. His diction is basically getting unintelligible.
But, that said, why should that disqualify him from tv work. We live in a recent market where guys like Warren Sapp, Neon Deion, Bart Scott, et al., are half Holtz' age and collect paychecks for delivering barely intelligible commentary. The other night, watching an NBA wrap up, I saw Shaq at the desk, mumbling with a mouth full of grapes. At this point, what's the difference..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or