U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 12:21 PM

7,237 posts, read 8,243,766 times

Advertisements

I've often heard and read that Vince Young didn't win the award in 2005 because of his performance in the Texas A&M game. He was still incredible that season nonetheless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 07:31 AM

3,192 posts, read 6,350,397 times
Us Cuse folk in 1987 thought that Don McPherson should've taken the Heisman over Tim Brown of Notre Dame. McPherson had the breakout senior year that mad Syracuse 11-0-1, while senior Tim Brown, while the best wide receiver in college history, had a better junior year!

Old 09-09-2015, 08:29 AM

8,396 posts, read 8,388,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
I've often heard and read that Vince Young didn't win the award in 2005 because of his performance in the Texas A&M game. He was still incredible that season nonetheless.
Yeah, he had a subpar game defeating the aggies 40-29.

11 carries for 19 yards and passing:
24-13-1 162 1 25 3

Old 09-09-2015, 12:58 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,884,166 times
Apart from Barry Sanders' 1988 season, has there ever been a clear cut winner in the last 30 years?

Besides, winning the Heisman is nice, but look at how many guys have won the thing only to have awful NFL careers (or did not even go into the NFL) - Jason White, Matt Leinhart, Eric Crouch, Danny Wuerffel, Charlie Ward, Mark Ingram, Tim Tebow, Troy Smith, Gino Torretta, Andre Ware, etc. I feel like as time has gone on, the players winning the Heisman don't really do a whole lot with their NFL careers.

Old 09-10-2015, 04:35 AM

6,885 posts, read 6,207,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
My biggest robbery was beleive it or not when Archie Griffin won his first Heisman in 1974. Back in those days the voting was done before all the games were completed.

Anthony Davis and Archie Griffin were neck and neck, but in USC's last game against Notre Dame, Anthony Davis scored 6 touchdowns including a second half kickoff for a 102 yard touchdown return. He averaged a record 42.5 yards per kick off return that season.

But since the voting had already taken place, the game was never taken into consideration when it came to Heisman votes, and Davis came in second to Griffin.

The NCAA realized an injustice was served, they changed the voting rules the next season so this wouldn't ever happen again.
The NCAA has nothing to do with the Heisman. The Heisman committee is in charge of how things are done. The early voting and presentation of the Heisman continued for many years after 1974. It's ironic because Charles While of USC won the Heisman over Billy Sims in 1979 after Sims rushed for over 550 yards in the last two regular season games. Yet the votes were already in and White won the award.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:47 AM

2,015 posts, read 2,015,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The NCAA has nothing to do with the Heisman. The Heisman committee is in charge of how things are done. The early voting and presentation of the Heisman continued for many years after 1974. It's ironic because Charles While of USC won the Heisman over Billy Sims in 1979 after Sims rushed for over 550 yards in the last two regular season games. Yet the votes were already in and White won the award.
I stand by what I wrote, the ballots were already in before USC demolished Notre Dame and Anthony Davis's 6 touchdowns. Had the voting been done a week earlier, the outcome IMO would have been different.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:28 AM

3,192 posts, read 6,350,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
It technically didn't count, but White's Rose Bowl game v. Ohio State put all questions to bed! I still remember that game, to this day!

Y'all forgot Art Schlister was on the other side, right?

Old 10-12-2015, 11:46 AM

7,499 posts, read 8,048,375 times
Gino Torretta over Marshall Faulk

Old 10-13-2015, 07:44 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,152,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
My biggest robbery was beleive it or not when Archie Griffin won his first Heisman in 1974. Back in those days the voting was done before all the games were completed.

Anthony Davis and Archie Griffin were neck and neck, but in USC's last game against Notre Dame, Anthony Davis scored 6 touchdowns including a second half kickoff for a 102 yard touchdown return. He averaged a record 42.5 yards per kick off return that season.

But since the voting had already taken place, the game was never taken into consideration when it came to Heisman votes, and Davis came in second to Griffin.

The NCAA realized an injustice was served, they changed the voting rules the next season so this wouldn't ever happen again.
archie griffin the only 2 time winner, should not have won in 1975 either:

Archie Griffin-1357 yards, 5.5 ypc, 4 TD.
Tony Dorsett- 1544 yards, 6.8 ypc, 11 TD
Chuck Muncie 1460 yards, 6.4 ypc, 13 TD
Ricky Bell- 1957 yards, 5.1 ypc, 13 TD

Also, in 1980 Hugh Green should have won, I know defensive players are at a major disadvantage but the level he dominated should have been respected.
I see Suh in this argument, a guy who had 24 total sacks in his college career. Green had 53
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football