U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2015, 11:59 PM

122 posts, read 430,533 times

Advertisements

Hello

I've read on many occasions that varsity sports cause a huge drain on college / university budgets. If so, why are they retained?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 08:54 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,705,831 times
It's actually a good inquiry.

I do think the many sports that don't bring in money and keep the overall sports budget from bring in the black financially will be turned into more of a club type sport. We're many years away from such drastic measures but it could happen in our life time conievably.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:09 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,772 posts, read 54,408,375 times
According to Forbes, colleges with good football programs are bringing in revenue at the rate of double the expense, so it's the opposite for them. They are helping to support their colleges financially. Oregon, for example, in 2012 spent 20 million on football, but brought in 52 million. Considering that there isn't much difference in the cost of a football program, other than a few million more for a top coach, those schools with a poor fan base, and weak TV contracts are a drain.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:03 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,949,542 times
SI did an article years ago like 7 or 8 hears ago on this issue and how only the top 15-20 Big D1 football programs actually bring in enough revenue to the point where the other sports at the school see substantial benefit as a result.

To that end as a former collegiate athlete myself at the D2 level I can tell you that sports are a way to bring in revenue to the school as whole, not just the athletic department.

for example - at the D2 level and well anything that is not D1 basketball or football you are typically only getting partial athletic aid. the NCAA only allows enough athletic aid for basketball and football to begin with so sports like baseball where the NCAA only allows I think 14 schollys for a roster of 35 it becomes a matter for the coach to decide who gets what and how can I get them more $$$$ that's not athletic aid.

In my case it was either walk on to a D1 program or sign with a D2 school. During the financial aid process our family was honest and up front with D2 schools and said he's either signing with you or walking on to Big State University which costs X amount of dollars. The thought process being if you want him bad enough then get the price down to at least at or below what the state cost is.

From the perspective of the school look at it this way. If we get greenvillebuckeye enough aid say down to the state cost then we're at least getting that amount of money from him and not losing that money by not signing him.

I have a buddy who coaches D2 wrestling who basically was told by his admissions people as well as the university powers that be to sign as many kids as he could and they would find a way to make it financially enticing to them. This was done he said to simply "get butts in the seats". if butts aren't in the seats then nobody gets paid, if butts are in the seats then at least some money is coming in. and some money is obviously better than no money. he also said they wanted to specifically recruit kids who could qualify for pell grants since that's fed money.

so to answer your question. schools keep their respective sports around simply because it's better to operate in the red than to not operate at all.

the D2 college my buddy coaches at has an enrollment of 900 students, 400 of which play a varsity collegiate sport. get rid of those 400 period and the college would be half of what it is not just enrollment wise either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or