Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 06:26 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times

Advertisements

Two simple questions:

1) Where have you seen (or played in) college football games in your lifetime?

2) What stadiums would you like to get to in the future (i.e. your bucket list)?

Here's my list:

BEEN THERE
Division I-A/FBS
*Penn State
*Temple (Lincoln Financial Field only)
*Navy
*Maryland
*RFK Stadium (Eagle Bank Bowl)
*FedEx Field (Penn State/Indiana in 2010)

Division I-AA/FCS
*Penn
*Lehigh
*Lafayette
*Georgetown
*Towson
*Villanova
*Yankee Stadium III (Lehigh/Lafayette 150 in 2014)

Division II
*Indiana (PA)
*East Stroudsburg

Division III
Juniata

WANT TO GO THERE
*Virginia (I-A)
*Delaware (I-AA)
*James Madison (I-AA)
*Princeton (I-AA)
*Richmond (I-AA)
*Howard (I-AA)
*Shepherd (II)
*Bowie State (II)
*Bloomsburg (II)
*Moravian or Muhlenberg for a Moravian/Muhlenberg game (III)

With my "bucket list" stadiums above, what I really want to do is attend a game there involving a team I follow rather than just go to a random game there.

One stadium I may add this year to my Division I-A/FBS list of stadiums where I've seen games is M&T Bank Stadium; I may try to go to the Penn State/Maryland game there this coming season. There's also a chance I may add Houston and/or Rice if I visit my brother in Houston this fall. Finally, I might add SMU depending on the NBA schedule. (Temple plays at SMU on 11/6 and the Philadelphia Eagles visit the Dallas Cowboys on 11/8. If the Dallas Mavericks play a home game on 11/7, especially if it is against the Philadelphia 76ers, I may try to make a weekend sports trip to the DFW area in early November.)

I'm sure some fans have a long list of stadiums where they've attended games. Hopefully you'll share yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 11:55 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,927,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
Two simple questions:

1) Where have you seen (or played in) college football games in your lifetime?

2) What stadiums would you like to get to in the future (i.e. your bucket list)?

Here's my list:

BEEN THERE
Division I-A/FBS
*Penn State
*Temple (Lincoln Financial Field only)
*Navy
*Maryland
*RFK Stadium (Eagle Bank Bowl)
*FedEx Field (Penn State/Indiana in 2010)

Division I-AA/FCS
*Penn
*Lehigh
*Lafayette
*Georgetown
*Towson
*Villanova
*Yankee Stadium III (Lehigh/Lafayette 150 in 2014)

Division II
*Indiana (PA)
*East Stroudsburg

Division III
Juniata

WANT TO GO THERE
*Virginia (I-A)
*Delaware (I-AA)
*James Madison (I-AA)
*Princeton (I-AA)
*Richmond (I-AA)
*Howard (I-AA)
*Shepherd (II)
*Bowie State (II)
*Bloomsburg (II)
*Moravian or Muhlenberg for a Moravian/Muhlenberg game (III)

With my "bucket list" stadiums above, what I really want to do is attend a game there involving a team I follow rather than just go to a random game there.

One stadium I may add this year to my Division I-A/FBS list of stadiums where I've seen games is M&T Bank Stadium; I may try to go to the Penn State/Maryland game there this coming season. There's also a chance I may add Houston and/or Rice if I visit my brother in Houston this fall. Finally, I might add SMU depending on the NBA schedule. (Temple plays at SMU on 11/6 and the Philadelphia Eagles visit the Dallas Cowboys on 11/8. If the Dallas Mavericks play a home game on 11/7, especially if it is against the Philadelphia 76ers, I may try to make a weekend sports trip to the DFW area in early November.)

I'm sure some fans have a long list of stadiums where they've attended games. Hopefully you'll share yours.
The only college stadium that I'd put on a bucket list to attend a game at is Nebraska. I've heard the atmosphere in the stadium is electric.

I like attending college games (around here FCS and NAIA mostly), but I'm generally not too enthralled about any particular place UNLESS I'm a fan of a particular team. My primary BCS team is the Iowa Hawkeyes and attending games there (especially with the incredible tailgating before hand) is a happening.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:24 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
I've only been to Husky Stadium (my opinion is biased since that's my school), Martin Stadium (mostly a good environment; they're good fans), Hughes Stadium (I was only seven, so I wasn't paying the proper attention at my first CFB game), Stanford Stadium (the band is the most entertaining aspect), and Camp Randall.

The latter mystified me. From the atmosphere on State St. and on the way to the stadium, I'd expected this thundersome noise machine. Nah. The crowd is more interested in getting more brats than it is in the game, and that's mainly what they do, get up for brats and return with brats. In the middle of a play, without any notion that this should never be done. I also hadn't expected verbal abuse on the way to the stadium (I was in neither side's gear, and had come to most definitely root for the Badgers) and on the street. The Jump Around is pretty cool. Camp Randall (like Martin used to be; haven't been since remodel, but maybe the Cougs built some to replace the long line of sani-cans back of the end zone) doesn't have nearly enough toilets, so the upstairs concourse hallway (clogged with eager brat-seekers) is full of sani-cans.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:02 PM

44 posts, read 63,637 times
Ohio State
Princeton
Rutgers
Stanford

The rest I've been to only for NFL, not NCAA:

Lincoln Financial Field
Fedex Field
Giants Stadium
Candlestick Park (no longer there)
Oakland Raiders Coliseum

Old 07-05-2015, 11:02 AM

2,327 posts, read 3,935,664 times
Jones Stadium/Texas Tech
Royal-Memorial Stadium/Texas
Floyd Casey Stadium/Baylor (since replaced)
Bobcat Stadium/Texas State
Milan Puskar Stadium/West Virginia

Have been to other CFB stadiums like the Rose Bowl, TCU's Amon Carter Stadium (well before the renovations), Rice Stadium, VT's Lane Stadium, UVA's Scott Stadium, and Tennesee's Neyland Stadium, but not for regular season college football games.

Would like to see a K-State game in Manhattan & maybe a Nebraska game. Have thought about going to Arkansas this year, but haven't decided yet.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:46 PM

199 posts, read 257,882 times
Stadiums I've been to:

Tiger Stadium/LSU
Williams-Brice Stadium/South Carolina
Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium/ECU (my alma mater, Go Pirates!)
Neyland Stadium/Tennessee
Kenan Memorial Stadium/UNC
Beaver Stadium/Penn State

A&M, Auburn, Bama, and Georgia are all on the short list. LSU was incredible, awesome atmosphere and it was loud as hell. Tennessee was pretty good at the start but I saw them against Bama and they got whooped so the atmosphere wasn't so great halfway through the game. I'm biased but Dowdy is pretty outstanding for ECU not being in a "big time" conference.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:35 AM

523 posts, read 494,913 times
BEEN THERE
Division I-A/FBS
UTSA(Alamodome spring game only)

Division I-AA/FCS
none

Division II
none

Division III
none

WANT TO GO THERE
Houston(Robertson Stadium or NRG Stadium)
Texas State
Incarnate Word(FCS)

Old 07-07-2015, 09:41 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Hughes Stadium (I was only seven, so I wasn't paying the proper attention at my first CFB game)
You didn't miss much. Saw plenty of games at Hughes because that's my alma mater, but it's a concrete s*&thole and that's putting it nicely. That stadium should never have been built where it was. Thankfully, after almost 50 years, that horrid decision will be undone in 2017 when the stadium moves back to campus.

I've also been to War Memorial (Laramie), University Stadium (Albuquerque) and Oklahoma Memorial Stadium.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:42 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times
I have been to at least one game at all four of the Tobacco Road stadiums and I can honestly say that when you get down to it, none of them are all that special.

While I did not attend a game here, I was in Clemson, SC when they were playing Virginia Tech in 2012. If you have ever had a desire to see a town swell from 15k to 100k+ well Clemson is your place. You can hear the roar of the fans even when the stadium is not in sight. I was also quite impressed with how well the traffic flowed throughout the day though I was told it is usually worse.

I have also been to Columbia, SC a couple of times when the Gamecocks had home games but I was not near the stadium. I have however been by the stadium and while it looks impressive, the warehouses that surround it give off a weird vibe. There doesn't seem to be a lot of options for parking or tailgating here. Columbia is also ridiculously hot in September so keep that in mind if you go.

I would love to eventually go to a home game at every SEC stadium. First on my list I think would be Sanford Stadium since Athens is probably my favorite college town. Next would be either LSU or Tennessee.

Outside the South, I would like to visit some of the Big Ten stadiums like Ohio State, Michigan and MSU, and Penn State. Throw in a few places like Oregon, Texas, West Virginia, and Oklahoma and I think I would be all set.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:30 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,372,997 times
BEEN THERE
Division I-A/FBS
*Clemson Memorial (numerous games)
*Sun Devil Stadium (Fiesta Bowl: Oklahoma v. Wyoming 1976)
*Bobby Dodd Stadium (Georgia Tech v. Clemson 1977)
*Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium (Peach Bowl: Clemson v. Baylor 1979)
*Gator Bowl (Clemson v. Ohio State 1978, Georgia v. Michigan State 1988)
*Memorial Stadium - Baltimore (Maryland v. Clemson 1986)
*Sanford Stadium (UGA - numerous games)
*Citrus Bowl in Orlando (Clemson v. Oklahoma 1989)
*Tiger Stadium (LSU v. UGA 1990, LSU v. Ole Miss 1993)
*Vaught Hemingway (Ole Miss v. Auburn 1992, Ole Miss v. SMU 1997)
*Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium - Jackson (Ole Miss v. LSU 1992)
*Williams-Brice (USC v. Clemson 1993)
*SuperDome (Tulane v. Ole Miss 1993)
*Cotton Bowl (SMU home games including SMU v Ole Miss 1998, Texas v. OU games, Cotton Bowl - Oklahoma State v. Ole Miss)
*Amon Carter (TCU v. SMU 1997)
*Gerald J. Ford Stadium (SMU - numerous games)
*Georgia Dome (several Peach Bowl games)

Division I-AA/FCS
*Brown

WANT TO GO THERE
*Neyland (Tennessee)
*Alumni Stadium (Boston College)
*Sun Bowl (UTEP)
*Kenan (UNC)
*Bobcat Stadium (Texas State)

Last edited by hbdwihdh378y9; 07-19-2015 at 01:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football