U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2015, 01:38 PM

2,086 posts, read 1,026,666 times

Advertisements

Texas downs Oklahoma to win the Red River Showdown!

Also, Ole Miss slaughtered NMSU, but it's NMSU.

Baylor destroyed Kansas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 02:38 PM

397 posts, read 310,317 times
People need to watch out for this Baylor team. They started the season respected, but outside the truly favored pack. Wins over Kansas and Texas Tech don't mean much, but if you watched the team play, they know exactly what they need to do.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:43 PM

2,086 posts, read 1,026,666 times
I know no one in here cares about North Texas, but what the hell happened? Two years ago, y'all were in a bowl game, now you're getting shutout 59-0 by Portland State.

Tennessee won today as well. Orange supremacy! Yeah!

Michigan is a deadly team, and they might be in the Top 4 for the playoff this year.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:09 AM

8,440 posts, read 11,212,585 times
It wasn't quite the game I expected, but I'm still thrilled Utah beat Cal. Booker deserved a breakout game in rushing and he got it.

One take away I'd learn from this for the Utah coaching staff: It's one thing to give Wilson and other Srs. the bye week off. However, the youngest players need to practice. Maybe every other day, but their rust from not practicing after Oregon showed tonight.

I thought the one ESPN Commentator (Griese, I believe), did all he could to discount UTAH and prop up Cal's QB Goff. He must have said at least 10 times, "Seven coaches think they (UT) are the number one team." I find that disrespectful of the coaches, the UT team and just an ignorant think to say. Even his studio guys had to reign him in some. But then they did say he went to MI. Ah..Utah has defeated MI three years in a row.

I'll still take the W.

MSR -Go Utes!

Old 10-11-2015, 07:06 AM

4,728 posts, read 4,496,854 times
Georgia blew it again, and Chubb is more than likely out for the season. Richt did the same thing with Gurley. He keeps running the same player over and over until they are hurt. Chubb's stats for one and a half years of playing time are right there with Derrick Henry's stats for three years of playing time. Also, Bama had trouble with Arkansas but managed to pull it out.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:21 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,161,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
It wasn't quite the game I expected, but I'm still thrilled Utah beat Cal. Booker deserved a breakout game in rushing and he got it.

One take away I'd learn from this for the Utah coaching staff: It's one thing to give Wilson and other Srs. the bye week off. However, the youngest players need to practice. Maybe every other day, but their rust from not practicing after Oregon showed tonight.

I thought the one ESPN Commentator (Griese, I believe), did all he could to discount UTAH and prop up Cal's QB Goff. He must have said at least 10 times, "Seven coaches think they (UT) are the number one team." I find that disrespectful of the coaches, the UT team and just an ignorant think to say. Even his studio guys had to reign him in some. But then they did say he went to MI. Ah..Utah has defeated MI three years in a row.

I'll still take the W.

MSR -Go Utes!
Utah is a force to be reckoned with in the Pac-12. Congrats to the Utes!

Old 10-11-2015, 12:43 PM

6,564 posts, read 12,358,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
They didn't show nearly as dominant against Cal as I expected. Right now I feel pretty good about only losing to Berkeley by seven. I thought Goff was going to end up on a stretcher. Brave kid, kept battling even when he chucked five picks and with his body often crushed under enormous heaps of vowels.

I think Oregon's fanbase is beginning to realize that the team that lost to Utah and now Wazzu is what it appears to be. On that topic, for their financial sake, I hope all bars in Pullman had enough beer on hand yesterday (and today; they will continue drinking). Only those who have drank with Cougs can possibly imagine their capacity, which is nearly Australian. Thank the gods they don't burn couches in the Palouse, or at least they didn't when I lived near it.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Thanks! They really didn't have that good of a game, but a W is a W.

An interesting Stat to check. Since joining the PAC, UTAH has struggled against conference opponents at home. I believe CAL was only the second Conference win at home. I'll double check that. But it will become easier now.

Also, few realize UTAH has both a new OC and DC. They have only worked with Coach Whitt and the Athletes about six months. There are lots of questions and answers about what or who was previously holding Utah back

Lots of props to other PAC -12 teams, including Washington and Washington State

It was a good day/night in the Beehive State with BYU, USU and UTAH all winning. But now to prepare for the next opponents.....at least extra transportation is available

Extra Service for ESPN College GameDay, U of U and BYU Football Games | Utah Transit Authority

It was a beautiful thing

MSR

Old 10-12-2015, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
They didn't show nearly as dominant against Cal as I expected. Right now I feel pretty good about only losing to Berkeley by seven. I thought Goff was going to end up on a stretcher. Brave kid, kept battling even when he chucked five picks and with his body often crushed under enormous heaps of vowels.

I think Oregon's fanbase is beginning to realize that the team that lost to Utah and now Wazzu is what it appears to be. On that topic, for their financial sake, I hope all bars in Pullman had enough beer on hand yesterday (and today; they will continue drinking). Only those who have drank with Cougs can possibly imagine their capacity, which is nearly Australian. Thank the gods they don't burn couches in the Palouse, or at least they didn't when I lived near it.
Great post jkk. The Utes made so many errors against CAL, but it's time for some change in the PAC-12.

I'very never seen a team quite like OR is, and I watched the Crimson Tide with an Alum religiously for about two decades. UT hit on all cylinders in Autzen and I wouldn't be honest if I didn't say I was glad to see UT thump OR big time. Proud of Wazzu too. It's time for others besides the Ducks! They need to know as a program what it feels like to lose by large margins, theyhave done that to teams for years. Kyle Whittingham doesn't let UT do that to other teams, except when there is a huge point to be made. The Freshmen and third string started playing in the third quarter at Autzen.

Oregon can't seem to get through the fog of they aren't who they were. I struggle to think of such profound denial as Oregon is showing. The local reporters in Eugene get it and reportedly the fans are catching on they may have paid too much for their seats this year.

Personally, I think UT had to defeat Oregon with the margin they did to plant the seeds of doubt. Wazzu did exactly what they needed to do as well. Oregon is rebuilding. No shame in that except to those who can't admit it.

MSR

Old 10-12-2015, 01:09 AM

6,564 posts, read 12,358,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Oregon can't seem to get through the fog of they aren't who they were. I struggle to think of such profound denial as Oregon is showing. The local reporters in Eugene get it and reportedly the fans are catching on they may have paid too much for their seats this year.
I suppose, being realistic and as objective as I can on the subject, there was a time when Washington may have perceived as Oregon has been. I certainly hope not; I know that James and Lambo teams didn't run up the score, and we definitely didn't do the uniform thing back then. (Except Lambo's awful purple helmets, which make a good Dawg weep to see in old clips.) We played very rough, but until Neuheisel, I don't think we had an unsportsmanlike rep, or a rep as hideous hosts (and I don't think we do now). I was less engaged with football back then, mainly because I didn't own a TV until 1997--eleven years after graduation. If we in fact had, in those days, the same insufferable entitlement and attitude as Oregon developed, that sense of a completely purchased success, then it's understandable if everyone laughed and laughed and threw brickbats at us as the Tytanic broke in two and sank to 0-12. But I don't think we quite did. I think that if we were irritating in our power days, it was more in the exasperating sense of juggernaut frustration that Carroll's USC teams brought on. That I can understand, though I never hated Carroll's teams; they were just great, and the only way to beat them was to step up one's game to the highest level. If we were irritating under Neu, I can't fault anyone, because the guy really washed people's faces in it. All I can say is that I was never in favor of hiring him, never liked his antics, hated the bad citizenship in some of his recruits, wasn't surprised he got us in trouble and lied, and wasn't sorry to see him go. I was sorry to see what his recruiting patterns did to our roster, as I knew they would set us up for years of underperformance.

In any case, it'll be interesting (especially living here in beautiful Oregon) to see just how the fall affects the fanbase as the bandwagoners bail. A lot of ours bailed, but those who stuck it out got stronger--if you don't bail at 0-12, it's hard to imagine what would make you bail, ever. If our uniforms get any worse, though, I may have to resort to listening to radio broadcasts. Just so awful. The reality is that even historic superpower programs, like Alabama and USC, have brief down periods. Double digit wins and major bowls are not guaranteed, and a great coach can slip back to 8-4 and it's not time to bring out the pitchforks--unless he truly is no longer a great coach.

As for UU, they are for real. I hope they play Stanford this year, because that'll be a heavyweight match worth seeing. And if UU wins the conference and makes the playoffs, I hope they win the national title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or