U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2015, 07:53 PM

907 posts, read 556,348 times

Advertisements

Wsu is now bowl eligible...yes sir! Now I want the apple cup !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 09:01 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,018,402 times
The refs screwed Sparty.

Alabama has most likely ruined LSU's undefeated season as well.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:30 PM

2,937 posts, read 1,782,978 times
I feel bad for Michigan State. It was one thing with a bad call last weekend between 2 irrelevant teams. But to make a call that effectively ends a teams undefeated record. That sucks. Idk a solution though.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:43 PM

16,526 posts, read 20,972,483 times
Alabama over LSU 30-16!

#4 over #2!

Old 11-07-2015, 09:54 PM

988 posts, read 1,193,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
FALSE.

The refs used replay in determining the block in the back was legal. Just listen to the refs final address of the game. He specifically mentions that they determined it was a legal block.

Mike Pereira (former VP of officiating for the NFL) even addressed this in his Twitter feed after the game. He said: "More importantly they used replay to decide to pick up the flag for the block at the 25. Replay is not allowed to review a call for that"

He went on to say:

"Word is that the crew made the decision but that is bogus as the referee called over the officials after going back to talk to replay a 2nd time."

"So the crew used replay to pick up the flag ...."

So there you have it - dare I say an expert on officiating saying the refs stepped outside the rule book to decide a game.

And yes, the illegal man wouldn't have decided the game, but it's the cherry on top of evidence that the refs were not watching the game not doing their job when it mattered most.

So in conclusion, you have:

- unreviewable play reviewed
- Miami player with a knee down while in possession of the ball
- missed block in the back at the 15
- uncalled illegal man on the field

In other words, probably the worst example of officiating ever.

Regardless, the ACC has said Duke should've won the game. Now they need to work on a system for correcting egregious errors. Perhaps they should determine the last play of a game is reviewable until noon of the next day if there's a situation like this.
So now you are making things up? The ACC has released a statement saying thy hudled and make the call about the block in the back and did not use replay he did not word his statement right. The plyer running on the field is a dead ball foul, sideline warning and is 15 yards on the kick off or PAT, so that would have not changed the play. Also they have now come out and said the whole game was bad and that there were game changing plays that were incorrectly called against Miami. Are you going to cry and throw a fit for Michigan State now that Nebraska just beat a top 10 undefeated team on a terrible call? Does that need to be reversed and is the media going to go nuts?

http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-announces-11-01-2015

From the ACC report above

A block in the back foul was called at the Duke 26-yard line. After the officials conferred, which is appropriate, they correctly determined that the block was from the side, which resulted in the flag being picked up. The replay official was not involved in the decision to pick up the flag; however, the referee did not effectively manage communication and properly explain why the flag was picked up.

In addition, the on-field crew failed to penalize a Miami player for leaving the bench area and entering the field prior to the end of the play. This foul would not have negated the touchdown because it would have been enforced as a dead ball foul.

More from the ACC
Atlantic Coast Conference acknowledged “multiple incorrect calls” against the Hurricanes in last weekend’s wild win over Duke, including an erroneous pass interference call on the drive where the Blue Devils scored a go-ahead touchdown.

Duke’s go-ahead touchdown with 6 seconds remaining should have been reviewed closely to see if the ballcarrier actually broke the plane of the goal line.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:01 PM

2,091 posts, read 3,017,801 times
LSU were paper tigers

Old 11-07-2015, 10:01 PM

500 posts, read 381,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Alabama over LSU 30-16!

#4 over #2!
ROLL TIDE

Fournette kept to 31 yards

Alabama's Henry 210 yards

Old 11-07-2015, 10:11 PM

988 posts, read 1,193,803 times
Bama played them perfectly. Knew it would be tough for them that they couldn't just pound them because Kirby Smart has Bama's defense playing well every year. Wonder who slides into 4th now that MSU, LSU, TCU, and Memphis all went down. Does that bring Notre Dame into 4th?

Old 11-07-2015, 11:49 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,510,747 times
Is Clemson for real? I know they beat FSU... but would they have any chance in a game against Alabama or Ohio State? Or will they just get embarrassed in the playoffs (assuming they stay undefeated)?

Old 11-08-2015, 12:56 AM

9,426 posts, read 7,083,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Is Clemson for real? I know they beat FSU... but would they have any chance in a game against Alabama or Ohio State? Or will they just get embarrassed in the playoffs (assuming they stay undefeated)?
Well, let's look at the past 4 years..

In 2011 they beat 4 ranked teams (#21, #11, #11 again and #5), lost to #14 SC and got totally destroyed by West Virginia in the Orange Bowl.

In 2012 they beat 1 ranked team (#25) and lost to 2 ranked teams (#4 and #13) and beat LSU who was ranked #9 in the Chick-Fil-A bowl

In 2013 they beat 1 ranked team (#5) and lost to 2 ranked teams (#5 and #10) and beat #7 Ohio State in the Orange Bowl

In 2014 they lost to 3 ranked teams (#12, #1 and #24) and beat Oklahoma in the Russell Athletic Bowl

This year.. They've beaten 2 ranked teams, no losses so far.. They've won in blowouts(Miami and most other games not mentioned after this), they've won defensive battles (Louisville and Florida State), they've won offensive explosion games(NC State), they've won downpour games(Notre Dame)..

Since 2011, they're 5-4 against the SEC, with 3 of the 4 losses coming to South Carolina in a rivalry game. And with SC being a top 15 team those years.

Wins against Auburn, Georgia, LSU and SC.

So.. They've beaten most of the SEC East. They've beaten Ohio State.. Why would you wonder if they have a chance?

Now.. Baylor.. There's someone you might wonder about. They haven't beaten any ranked teams.. But, if they remain undefeated, they'll have beaten 3 in a row.

I'd put question marks on Ohio State, because.. Who have they played? They beat Penn State in a rivalry game.. That counts for something.

Alabama is strong, but they still have to make it past Auburn (Don't care how much a down year it is for Auburn) and Florida to stay in consideration.

Until LSU lost.. I didn't consider Clemson to be the #1 team.. I would have given it to LSU. Now.. I say it's pretty indisputable that Clemson is the #1 team.

Their defense pretty much played lights out after the 1st quarter against FSU.

Total Offense Clemson #28, Ohio State #38, Alabama #59
First Downs - Clemson #36, Ohio State #47, Alabama #62
Passing - Clemson #40, Ohio State #83, Alabama #67
Rushing - Clemson #24, Ohio State #15, Alabama #39
Receiving - Clemson #40, Ohio State #83, Alabama #67
Returns - Clemson #56, Ohio State #124, Alabama #80
Kicking - Clemson #19, Ohio State #94, Alabama #55
Punting - Clemson #93, Ohio State #92, Alabama #64
Total Defense - Clemson #5, Ohio State #10, Alabama #3

Total QBR - Watson - 86.6 - 3rd in nation
Coker - 66.5 -46th in nation
Cardale Jones - 52.5 - 79th

Now, would you rather have the 28th ranked offense with the #3 ranked QB vs the #3 ranked defense, or the #59 ranked offense with the #46 ranked QB vs the #5 ranked defense?

The biggest things that Clemson has in their way.. Outside of "Clemsoning".. The expectations they have on them. I think that showed through in the first quarter today. The Rivalry game against SC, as rivalry games where one team is at the top of the mountain and the other has nothing to lose are dangerous. An injury to Watson. Will they hang on to make it into the playoffs? I think so. Will they win in the playoffs? That I can't say.. But, I don't see an embarrassment. How will Ohio State or Alabama do on a neutral site? Clemson will have half the student body out there with their $2 bills with a tiger paw stamped on them..

Here's a telling stat.. Clemson has never lost while ranked #1.. They have never beaten a team ranked #1. I think I have that right.. Of, if they ever have beaten a #1, it was long ago.So, keeping that #1 ranking is important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or