U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2015, 04:15 AM

75 posts, read 45,374 times

Advertisements

Well my Spartans lost to Nebraska and are eliminated from playoff contention, great weekend of action though. How about Navy going to 7-1 and after they rolled over previously unbeaten Memphis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 05:16 AM

3,022 posts, read 4,524,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
I feel bad for Michigan State. It was one thing with a bad call last weekend between 2 irrelevant teams. But to make a call that effectively ends a teams undefeated record. That sucks. Idk a solution though.
I was hoping they would lose....but due to that call, I really feel sorry for those kids. What a BS call. Not only did it kill the undefeated season, but it just made them irrelevant as for as the Natty now. Even with win over Ohio, I don't think they have a chance. Terrible call..what the heck is the reason a review can not over turn stuff like this? What ever the reason, I hope they change this someday.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:22 AM

Ok Awesome, now my Ducks just need to blow out Stanford. Standford needs to lose all of the rest of there games...Wa state needs to lose at least one game....then we need to beat the Pac 12 South team, who ever that might be...go to the simi finals, beat that team and then beat Alabama in the Natty!!! Ok simple!!! err...well maybe next year

Old 11-08-2015, 05:50 AM

71,957 posts, read 83,597,281 times
Best game of the day: had to be: Razorbacks and Rebels; well if you like scoring and exciting finishes anyway. One more win and AR goes to a bowl. Who would have thought it about 3 weeks ago?

Old 11-08-2015, 05:59 AM

4,728 posts, read 4,472,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Well, let's look at the past 4 years..

In 2011 they beat 4 ranked teams (#21, #11, #11 again and #5), lost to #14 SC and got totally destroyed by West Virginia in the Orange Bowl.

In 2012 they beat 1 ranked team (#25) and lost to 2 ranked teams (#4 and #13) and beat LSU who was ranked #9 in the Chick-Fil-A bowl

In 2013 they beat 1 ranked team (#5) and lost to 2 ranked teams (#5 and #10) and beat #7 Ohio State in the Orange Bowl

In 2014 they lost to 3 ranked teams (#12, #1 and #24) and beat Oklahoma in the Russell Athletic Bowl

This year.. They've beaten 2 ranked teams, no losses so far.. They've won in blowouts(Miami and most other games not mentioned after this), they've won defensive battles (Louisville and Florida State), they've won offensive explosion games(NC State), they've won downpour games(Notre Dame)..

Since 2011, they're 5-4 against the SEC, with 3 of the 4 losses coming to South Carolina in a rivalry game. And with SC being a top 15 team those years.

Wins against Auburn, Georgia, LSU and SC.

So.. They've beaten most of the SEC East. They've beaten Ohio State.. Why would you wonder if they have a chance?

Now.. Baylor.. There's someone you might wonder about. They haven't beaten any ranked teams.. But, if they remain undefeated, they'll have beaten 3 in a row.

I'd put question marks on Ohio State, because.. Who have they played? They beat Penn State in a rivalry game.. That counts for something.

Alabama is strong, but they still have to make it past Auburn (Don't care how much a down year it is for Auburn) and Florida to stay in consideration.

Until LSU lost.. I didn't consider Clemson to be the #1 team.. I would have given it to LSU. Now.. I say it's pretty indisputable that Clemson is the #1 team.

Their defense pretty much played lights out after the 1st quarter against FSU.

Total Offense Clemson #28, Ohio State #38, Alabama #59
First Downs - Clemson #36, Ohio State #47, Alabama #62
Passing - Clemson #40, Ohio State #83, Alabama #67
Rushing - Clemson #24, Ohio State #15, Alabama #39
Receiving - Clemson #40, Ohio State #83, Alabama #67
Returns - Clemson #56, Ohio State #124, Alabama #80
Kicking - Clemson #19, Ohio State #94, Alabama #55
Punting - Clemson #93, Ohio State #92, Alabama #64
Total Defense - Clemson #5, Ohio State #10, Alabama #3

Total QBR - Watson - 86.6 - 3rd in nation
Coker - 66.5 -46th in nation
Cardale Jones - 52.5 - 79th

Now, would you rather have the 28th ranked offense with the #3 ranked QB vs the #3 ranked defense, or the #59 ranked offense with the #46 ranked QB vs the #5 ranked defense?

The biggest things that Clemson has in their way.. Outside of "Clemsoning".. The expectations they have on them. I think that showed through in the first quarter today. The Rivalry game against SC, as rivalry games where one team is at the top of the mountain and the other has nothing to lose are dangerous. An injury to Watson. Will they hang on to make it into the playoffs? I think so. Will they win in the playoffs? That I can't say.. But, I don't see an embarrassment. How will Ohio State or Alabama do on a neutral site? Clemson will have half the student body out there with their $2 bills with a tiger paw stamped on them..

Here's a telling stat.. Clemson has never lost while ranked #1.. They have never beaten a team ranked #1. I think I have that right.. Of, if they ever have beaten a #1, it was long ago.So, keeping that #1 ranking is important.
This is a long post with a lot of stats, but the stats are based on who they play. I don't think the schedules of all teams have been equally difficult not by long shot.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
I was hoping they would lose....but due to that call, I really feel sorry for those kids. What a BS call. Not only did it kill the undefeated season, but it just made them irrelevant as for as the Natty now. Even with win over Ohio, I don't think they have a chance. Terrible call..what the heck is the reason a review can not over turn stuff like this? What ever the reason, I hope they change this someday.
And btw...didn't the M. State have 1 second left on the clock...why was this ignored?

Old 11-08-2015, 09:15 AM

977 posts, read 1,629,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
And btw...didn't the M. State have 1 second left on the clock...why was this ignored?
Didn't you see the replay that clearly showed there was no time on the clock?

The out of bounds call on the touchdown was garbage, but was a makeup call for the missed pass interference on the previous Nebraska possession that ended up chewing up a lot more clock. Not to mention there was still 17 seconds left, which would have been plenty of time for Nebraska to score the touchdown anyway given the complete and utter lack of Michigan State defense on the last 2 drives. Or the fact that Michigan State couldn't burn the clock after Nebraska made it 38-33. Nebraska only had 2 timeouts and yet they were only able to eat up 40 seconds....and an end around to a tight end on 3rd and 8?

Nebraska got the ball on their own 9 with 55 seconds left...no way they should have even been in position to score 3 plays later. Yeah it was a bad call but Michigan State was up 38-26 with under 2:00 to go, so let's not act like it was the only thing responsible for the outcome. At this point in the season, I'll take it. Go Big Red

Old 11-08-2015, 09:58 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,510,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Well, let's look at the past 4 years..

In 2011 they beat 4 ranked teams (#21, #11, #11 again and #5), lost to #14 SC and got totally destroyed by West Virginia in the Orange Bowl.

In 2012 they beat 1 ranked team (#25) and lost to 2 ranked teams (#4 and #13) and beat LSU who was ranked #9 in the Chick-Fil-A bowl

In 2013 they beat 1 ranked team (#5) and lost to 2 ranked teams (#5 and #10) and beat #7 Ohio State in the Orange Bowl

In 2014 they lost to 3 ranked teams (#12, #1 and #24) and beat Oklahoma in the Russell Athletic Bowl

This year.. They've beaten 2 ranked teams, no losses so far.. They've won in blowouts(Miami and most other games not mentioned after this), they've won defensive battles (Louisville and Florida State), they've won offensive explosion games(NC State), they've won downpour games(Notre Dame)..

Since 2011, they're 5-4 against the SEC, with 3 of the 4 losses coming to South Carolina in a rivalry game. And with SC being a top 15 team those years.

Wins against Auburn, Georgia, LSU and SC.

So.. They've beaten most of the SEC East. They've beaten Ohio State.. Why would you wonder if they have a chance?

Now.. Baylor.. There's someone you might wonder about. They haven't beaten any ranked teams.. But, if they remain undefeated, they'll have beaten 3 in a row.

I'd put question marks on Ohio State, because.. Who have they played? They beat Penn State in a rivalry game.. That counts for something.

Alabama is strong, but they still have to make it past Auburn (Don't care how much a down year it is for Auburn) and Florida to stay in consideration.

Until LSU lost.. I didn't consider Clemson to be the #1 team.. I would have given it to LSU. Now.. I say it's pretty indisputable that Clemson is the #1 team.

Their defense pretty much played lights out after the 1st quarter against FSU.

Total Offense Clemson #28, Ohio State #38, Alabama #59
First Downs - Clemson #36, Ohio State #47, Alabama #62
Passing - Clemson #40, Ohio State #83, Alabama #67
Rushing - Clemson #24, Ohio State #15, Alabama #39
Receiving - Clemson #40, Ohio State #83, Alabama #67
Returns - Clemson #56, Ohio State #124, Alabama #80
Kicking - Clemson #19, Ohio State #94, Alabama #55
Punting - Clemson #93, Ohio State #92, Alabama #64
Total Defense - Clemson #5, Ohio State #10, Alabama #3

Total QBR - Watson - 86.6 - 3rd in nation
Coker - 66.5 -46th in nation
Cardale Jones - 52.5 - 79th

Now, would you rather have the 28th ranked offense with the #3 ranked QB vs the #3 ranked defense, or the #59 ranked offense with the #46 ranked QB vs the #5 ranked defense?

The biggest things that Clemson has in their way.. Outside of "Clemsoning".. The expectations they have on them. I think that showed through in the first quarter today. The Rivalry game against SC, as rivalry games where one team is at the top of the mountain and the other has nothing to lose are dangerous. An injury to Watson. Will they hang on to make it into the playoffs? I think so. Will they win in the playoffs? That I can't say.. But, I don't see an embarrassment. How will Ohio State or Alabama do on a neutral site? Clemson will have half the student body out there with their $2 bills with a tiger paw stamped on them..

Here's a telling stat.. Clemson has never lost while ranked #1.. They have never beaten a team ranked #1. I think I have that right.. Of, if they ever have beaten a #1, it was long ago.So, keeping that #1 ranking is important.
The Orange Bowl victory over OSU is pretty meaningless. Ohio State completely fell apart after their loss to MSU. OSU has the best coach in the country, not to mention a great QB situation. Until they lose, they should be the #1 team. As far as I can tell, their only real threat is Alabama. That OSU-Alabama game last year was damn good.

Your numbers don't mean much. OSU typically plays its conference mates pretty close. Just like last year. While Baylor and TCU were blowing people out all year. We all know TCU and Baylor would have gotten laughed out of the playoffs if they'd actually gone up against Bama.

Now I haven't watched any Clemson this year (or ever), so maybe they could put up a fight. But those stats don't prove anything. But when OSU and Bama have Meyer and Saban at coach, and OSU has Barrett and Elliott playing for them, and are defending champions, it seems pretty laughable to put them at #3, or even #2 (assuming Bama doesn't jump them this week).

Keep in mind Mariota was the best QB last year (stats-wise) and Oregon was blowing people out all year, then they got embarrassed in the national championship. That game wasn't even worth watching.

OSU still has MSU (and Michigan) to play. That's a tough game. It's the game that propelled them to playoff contention last year. Obviously if they lose they're out of the playoffs, but assuming they win out, that's a quality victory.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:49 AM

9,426 posts, read 7,080,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
This is a long post with a lot of stats, but the stats are based on who they play. I don't think the schedules of all teams have been equally difficult not by long shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
The Orange Bowl victory over OSU is pretty meaningless. Ohio State completely fell apart after their loss to MSU. OSU has the best coach in the country, not to mention a great QB situation. Until they lose, they should be the #1 team. As far as I can tell, their only real threat is Alabama. That OSU-Alabama game last year was damn good.

Your numbers don't mean much. OSU typically plays its conference mates pretty close. Just like last year. While Baylor and TCU were blowing people out all year. We all know TCU and Baylor would have gotten laughed out of the playoffs if they'd actually gone up against Bama.

Now I haven't watched any Clemson this year (or ever), so maybe they could put up a fight. But those stats don't prove anything. But when OSU and Bama have Meyer and Saban at coach, and OSU has Barrett and Elliott playing for them, and are defending champions, it seems pretty laughable to put them at #3, or even #2 (assuming Bama doesn't jump them this week).

Keep in mind Mariota was the best QB last year (stats-wise) and Oregon was blowing people out all year, then they got embarrassed in the national championship. That game wasn't even worth watching.

OSU still has MSU (and Michigan) to play. That's a tough game. It's the game that propelled them to playoff contention last year. Obviously if they lose they're out of the playoffs, but assuming they win out, that's a quality victory.
Ok.. so.. Both of you are looking at schedules.. How many ranked teams has Ohio State beaten this year?

Zero.

So, shouldn't you be wondering, right now, if they would be embarrassed vs Clemson? So far as having the best coach in the nation.. Well, Clemson beat that best coach when that team 'fell apart'. If we're just handing out trophies based on coaches, then why play the games?

Alabama.. Much better. They've lost, but it was to a top 15 team, and they've beaten 4 ranked teams.

Oregon last year is a good point. They were putting up tons of points.. But they were also giving up lots of points. So, when they hit someone who shut their offense down, they didn't have a good enough defense to keep the offense around. Clemson not only is putting up alot of points at times, they also have a very good defense that can shut an opposing offense down.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:01 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,510,388 times
You're right, but like I said, they're going to beat MSU and UMich this year, so that'll be two (unless they lose, in which case they're out of the playoffs and this conversation is meaningless anyway).

You don't hand out trophies based on the coach. All I'm saying is Meyer and Saban are fantastic, and I'd expect pretty much anyone else to get thoroughly outcoached by them in the playoffs.

By the way, Oregon forced 4 turnovers that game, and still lost by 20+.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or