U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2015, 09:13 AM

1,579 posts, read 983,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
..parade of rinky-dinky, everybody-participates bowls!
/laughter/.. true, there's a full slate of Toilet Bowls. But I'm starting to get swayed by the counter-argument, that there is no harm in them. None of the competitors in the lower bowls are in a position to knock-off the Final Four, so those Final 4 teams are still rewarded & protected as a result of their superior regular seasons.
And from a fan perspective, it gives us more end-of-the-year viewing. Even a losing team like Nebraska has played at a high level at points. They had a regular season win over Michigan State, & looked damn good beating an 8-4 UCLA last night. There's still some quality football seen in the lesser Bowls. peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 10:37 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,126,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
/laughter/.. true, there's a full slate of Toilet Bowls. But I'm starting to get swayed by the counter-argument, that there is no harm in them. None of the competitors in the lower bowls are in a position to knock-off the Final Four, so those Final 4 teams are still rewarded & protected as a result of their superior regular seasons.
And from a fan perspective, it gives us more end-of-the-year viewing. Even a losing team like Nebraska has played at a high level at points. They had a regular season win over Michigan State, & looked damn good beating an 8-4 UCLA last night. There's still some quality football seen in the lesser Bowls. peace
Good commentary. That's true about these lower end teams/bowls having no effect on the upper tier teams, and these games can certainly be entertaining, perhaps even revealing some up-and-coming strengths or weaknesses for these teams.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:46 AM

32,468 posts, read 26,339,737 times
Quote:
Thanks, guys.

Sounds like we'll continue to have this parade of rinky-dinky, everybody-participates bowls!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Quote:
Good commentary. That's true about these lower end teams/bowls having no effect on the upper tier teams, and these games can certainly be entertaining, perhaps even revealing some up-and-coming strengths or weaknesses for these teams.
personally i think all these bowl games are a prelude to a tournament style playoffs for NCAA football, much like the NCAA basketball tournament at the end of march. that also holds open the possibility that there will also be an NIT tournament for those not able to make the "big football dance".

Old 12-28-2015, 03:58 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,018,902 times
And the AAC finally won a bowl game. Congrats to Navy!

Old 12-28-2015, 07:19 PM

32,468 posts, read 26,339,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger099 View Post
And the AAC finally won a bowl game. Congrats to Navy!
GO NAVY!!!

Old 12-28-2015, 07:58 PM

Also, all 3 5-7 teams that got a bowl won them.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:39 PM

Cal won the Armed Forces Bowl 55-36. Also, Part 3 of bowl picks.

Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl: Houston vs. Florida State
Orange Bowl: Oklahoma vs. Clemson
Cotton Bowl: Michigan State vs. Alabama
Outback Bowl: Northwestern vs. Tennessee
Citrus Bowl: Michigan vs. Florida
Fiesta Bowl: Notre Dame vs. Ohio State
Rose Bowl: Stanford vs. Iowa
Sugar Bowl: Oklahoma State vs. Ole Miss
TaxSlayer Bowl: Penn State vs. Georgia
Liberty Bowl: Kansas State vs. Arkansas
Alamo Bowl: Oregon vs. TCU
Cactus Bowl: West Virginia vs. Arizona State

Here are my picks.
Houston vs. Florida State (I haven't bought into the Houston hype this season.)
Oklahoma vs. Clemson (Clemson is overrated.)
Michigan State vs. Alabama (Michigan State says they're putting 8 in the box to stop Henry. The bad news? Coker is gonna torch them through the skies.)
Northwestern vs. Tennessee (I'm not sold on Northwestern. Even though they beat Stanford, i don't see them taking down Tennessee.)
Michigan vs. Florida (Florida's offense has gone down the drain.)
Notre Dame vs. Ohio State (Ohio State has good talent. And so does Notre Dame. I think this game will be enjoyable, but the Buckeyes take this one.)
Stanford vs. Iowa (I think the loss to Michigan State ruined the Hawkeyes. I think McCaffrey's gonna run through 'em.)
Oklahoma State vs. Ole Miss (Ole Miss lost both Nkemdiche players. And they're valuable. Chad Kelly and Laquon Treadwell won't be enough this time.)
Penn State vs. Georgia (With everything going down in Athens, i won't be surprised if this happens.)
Kansas State vs. Arkansas (This one, you can bet is a win.)
Oregon vs. TCU (High-octane offense, no defense. This could likely be an 84-77 game. or 73-70. or 77-73, or whatever.)
West Virginia vs. Arizona State (It's an understatement when you say that both Arizona teams were disappointing this season.)

Last edited by SouthernTiger; 12-29-2015 at 04:47 PM..

Old 12-29-2015, 06:18 PM

447 posts, read 472,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger099 View Post
Oklahoma vs. Clemson (Clemson is overrated.)
Love it when people say that, lol! All we do is win. So far, Oklahoma seems to think they are in a trash talking contest. That didn't help them last year, and I don't see much changing...

Old 12-29-2015, 09:10 PM

14,573 posts, read 22,421,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zumaboy View Post
That didn't help them last year, and I don't see much changing...
The roster changed a bit.

CSU Rams vs Nevada, clock management.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:50 PM

3,220 posts, read 3,736,706 times
How about that Baylor run game? Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or