U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 02:04 PM

5,802 posts, read 6,582,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Because he's quitting in the middle of the year.
Actually he has said something to the effect that if things began going south, he would get out of the way very quickly and let someone else take over.

In his mind he felt that it was better to leave now and see if some fresh minds can turn the program around. At the very least it will give USC more time to find another head coach if they are looking outside the program.

Some would see that as being honorable...a man of his word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 09:05 AM

2,038 posts, read 2,431,411 times
The timing is weird on this.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:18 AM

11,787 posts, read 13,372,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
When Sark left UW, one player's tweet stuck with me. It was Troy Williams, a QB-in-the-wings who has since transferred. I think my quote is near exact: "Don't never commit because of a coach. Faker than a three dollar bill." That's wisdom well beyond age nineteen. Commit because of a location, commit because of academics, commit because of an experience to be had, commit because of facilities, commit because it just feels right, commit because of a tradition. Don't commit because of someone who might retire mid-season, leave a dinner with recruits for another job, get canned on the tarmac at LAX, or find himself in rehab.
Oh come one now, of course they commit because of coaches. The big name schools in big name locations in big name conferences get the big name coaches. However there are a lot of big time programs and the coaches who are the best recruiters get the best players.

Getting fired on the tarmac, quitting at a dinner with recruits - yeah stuff happens, but are just anomalies.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:18 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,128,635 times
Hmmm... Kliff Kingsbury to South Carolina?

http://www.foxsports.com/college-foo...oosters-101315

Old 10-14-2015, 06:23 PM

7,231 posts, read 8,240,550 times
While I get USC fans are upset about not finishing the season, Spurrier is ultimately I think doing the program a favor by giving a chance to someone else (in this case Shawn Elliot) and see if he is the right fit for the job or if the university ultimately decides to go w/ someone else next season.

Despite never winning an SEC title there, I never saw more Gamecock fans excited about their football team than I did during the Spurrier era, especially the 2010-13 stretch. He definitely breathed life into that program.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:47 AM

242 posts, read 224,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
While I get USC fans are upset about not finishing the season, Spurrier is ultimately I think doing the program a favor by giving a chance to someone else (in this case Shawn Elliot) and see if he is the right fit for the job or if the university ultimately decides to go w/ someone else next season.

Despite never winning an SEC title there, I never saw more Gamecock fans excited about their football team than I did during the Spurrier era, especially the 2010-13 stretch. He definitely breathed life into that program.

I definitely agree with the second part of your statement.

I think we need to clean house when it comes to a new coach and staff. I was really excited about the possibility of Elliot becoming the next head coach when he first arrived in Columbia. He is an SC native, grew up a Gamecock fan, very intense and passionate about the program and he has had the opportunity to learn from two great coaches. The on the field results from his o-line has been lacking. He has had a good number of injuries to deal with but has never been able to develop any depth on the o-line.

Jr. needs to go. yea he has coached some great WR but we outside of whoever was the great WR of the team (Cooper now, Ellington, Jeffery, etc. before) we have only seen flashes of greatness shown by the others. It is really frustrating to see a guy have a great game and then disappear for the next month or so, especially when the passing game has generally been lacking. As recruiting coordinator he has also been sub-par in my opinion. I think it was Shane Beamer's classes (before he left to join his dad's staff) that led USC to prominence, Jr.'s classes have led to mediocrity (and that is being generous).

Mangus has gotten some high profile recruits out of the NE but very few of those guys have actually finished their career at USC. Our QB play (outside of this year) has generally been solid, but with a noticeable lack of arm strength.

Ward and Adam need to go period, end of discussion, how either of them manage to still have a job baffles me.

Botkin's LBs have been the strength of the defense the last year and a half, but they still take some really poor angles at times.

The ST coach (whose name escapes me right now) hasn't really been all that special.

Quote:
Hmmm... Kliff Kingsbury to South Carolina?
I wouldn't put a ton of stock in this, considering their "source" is fitsnews. I like Kingsbury but I don't think he would be a good fit at SC.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:43 PM

904 posts, read 655,419 times
Im looking forward to "Gameday"! The HBC will be a guest

Old 10-15-2015, 01:54 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,098,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post

He built on what Holtz did. I'm all for him getting the credit for building them into a top-10 program, however.. Without Holtz.. I don't know that Spurrier even accepts the job to start with. Holtz gave the program promise.. Spurrier delivered on that promise.. Even if he didn't ever win an SEC championship.

So.. Just saying that Holtz deserves credit for what he did as well.

Old 10-15-2015, 05:26 PM

397 posts, read 307,992 times
I am eager to see if a certain Spartan decides to make the move back to his alma mater.

Dantonio in the SEC. Scary.

One former Michigan State coach making waves is enough.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:01 PM

904 posts, read 655,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
The timing is weird on this.
In the words of Bobby Bowden "That's just Steve being Steve". The timing is perfect. In spurriers words "he fired himself". The team needed a new message. He likes the idea of an interim opportunity in this case. At least the staff has a shot at redemption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football