Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 08:06 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,049,508 times

Advertisements

Can't blame Steve He stayed about 2 years too long. He made tremendous improvements to the program, but unfortunately it's time. The "powers that be" wouldn't allow the necessary changes to be made.

Last edited by 5ForksSC; 10-12-2015 at 08:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 10:15 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Problem is.. He didn't turn it into a place people wanted to come and play without him there.

His name got him alot of recruits.. But, I think you'll see a steady fall back to the pre-Holtz days unless they can hire a big name coach. And him quitting in the middle of the year I don't think will help in that search for a big name coach.

Say what you will, but Clemson pulled a miracle after Bowden left/was fired by putting Dabo in place. Dabo is a far better recruiter than he is a coach, and probably a better cheerleader than anything, but.. I think he knows that. Which is why he brings in OCs and DCs that could be head coaches on their own. I think he focuses on the recruitment more and has built a program geared towards long-term success. This was supposed to be (and still may be) a 'rebuilding' year for Clemson. And, it's not all about him, either.. Spurrier.. It was always all about him.

The question to me here.. Is Spurrier leaving because of an illness, perhaps? Or.. Has he realized that he'll be very, very lucky to play .500 this year, and doesn't want a losing record, so he's quitting? I don't buy an argument that he's letting them start their search.. Because if that was the case, announce your retirement, but finish the year.

I didn't have a whole lot of respect for Spurrier after the Redskins fiasco.. Less for him now.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:20 AM

243 posts, read 282,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Problem is.. He didn't turn it into a place people wanted to come and play without him there.

His name got him alot of recruits.. But, I think you'll see a steady fall back to the pre-Holtz days unless they can hire a big name coach. And him quitting in the middle of the year I don't think will help in that search for a big name coach.

Say what you will, but Clemson pulled a miracle after Bowden left/was fired by putting Dabo in place. Dabo is a far better recruiter than he is a coach, and probably a better cheerleader than anything, but.. I think he knows that. Which is why he brings in OCs and DCs that could be head coaches on their own. I think he focuses on the recruitment more and has built a program geared towards long-term success. This was supposed to be (and still may be) a 'rebuilding' year for Clemson. And, it's not all about him, either.. Spurrier.. It was always all about him.

The question to me here.. Is Spurrier leaving because of an illness, perhaps? Or.. Has he realized that he'll be very, very lucky to play .500 this year, and doesn't want a losing record, so he's quitting? I don't buy an argument that he's letting them start their search.. Because if that was the case, announce your retirement, but finish the year.

I didn't have a whole lot of respect for Spurrier after the Redskins fiasco.. Less for him now.
In my opinion Spurrier has lost control of the team. Last year and so far this year there has been very little fight in the Gamecocks. The talent that was there during the 11 win seasons is no longer there but I don't think the drop in talent is as big as the results indicate. There is no heart in the program right now, and I put a lot of that on Spurrier's shoulders. He has taken a very lackadaisical attitude towards recruiting the last few years and it is showing. Brandon Wilds comments after a game a few weeks ago and the situation surrounding his not playing last saturday indicated to me that there was a serious problem within the program.

A big problem that USC faced pre-holtz and spurrier was a lack of money to compete within the SEC (unlike UT, UGA, LSU, Arkansas we aren't the only big time game in town) and lack of facilities. Big improvements have been made in the area of facilities and more donors have stepped up. The ingredients are there to become a consistent player in the SEC, it is just going to take the right coach.

As a Carolina fan and alumnus I am pissed that he is apparently just walking out on the team. I will be forever grateful for the things that he did during his time here, but to just quit in the middle of the year (especially this year) makes me lose a lot of respect for him. I wanted him to retire but I see absolutely no point in him not at least finishing out the year like a man.

Tanner needs to open the checkbook up and do what it takes to get a great replacement as there are a lot of really good prospects coming through the state in the next few years.

Quote:
The "powers that be" wouldn't allow the necessary changes to be made.]
exactly what changes was he not allowed to make? He sure hasn't made many changes to the coaching staff when they haven't performed and the ones he did make took forever to happen. It certainly isnt the "powers that be's" fault that recruiting go long stretches without hearing from any member of our staff or that kids come up to Columbia on a visit only to find our that Spurrier is in Florida accepting some award.

Last edited by gamecock303; 10-13-2015 at 01:33 AM..

Old 10-13-2015, 03:11 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,049,508 times
[/b][/b]"Exactly what changes was he not allowed to make? He sure hasn't made many changes to the coaching staff when they haven't performed and the ones he did make took forever to happen" quote

GC303 you answered your own question. Bringing in Hoke wasn't his first choice. Whammy needs to go. His recruits are not being developed.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:53 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

Just curious why you have lost respect for Spurrier. The man is 70 years old. Right there should garner a ton of respect, since most of us will be lucky to be as active as he is when we reach his age.

Second, he had a 228–89–2 record as a college head coach, finding measures of rarely precedented success at each of Duke, Florida and his current gig. The 1996 national championship, seven conference titles and nine conference coach of the year awards lead his résumé.

The 1966 Heisman Trophy winner will be remembered as the greatest coach in the history of two SEC East programs to this point.

So things didn't go so well in the NFL and lately at USC. These small blips in an otherwise illustrious career are hardly reasons to lose respect for the man.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:42 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,610,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Just curious why you have lost respect for Spurrier. The man is 70 years old. Right there should garner a ton of respect, since most of us will be lucky to be as active as he is when we reach his age.

Second, he had a 228–89–2 record as a college head coach, finding measures of rarely precedented success at each of Duke, Florida and his current gig. The 1996 national championship, seven conference titles and nine conference coach of the year awards lead his résumé.

The 1966 Heisman Trophy winner will be remembered as the greatest coach in the history of two SEC East programs to this point.

So things didn't go so well in the NFL and lately at USC. These small blips in an otherwise illustrious career are hardly reasons to lose respect for the man.
Totally in agreement. Football won't be the same without the old ball coach. The very best to Steve Spurrier after a great career!

Old 10-13-2015, 08:58 AM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Because he's quitting in the middle of the year.

He committed to the students, to the team, to his recruits to be there this year and he's leaving them. Technically, I think he ran his mouth before the season about him being there another 5 or 6 years, but, I don't fault him for that..

If he has an illness or something.. I could understand it more. But, even to say "My heart isn't in it anymore" is a cheap way out. Finish out your commitment for the year, announce your retirement at the end of the season so that they can start a search for a new coach now.. Show that you still have some heart and belief in the team and that you give a rats ass about them and the program.

Who was it a few years ago that was at.. Cincinnati, i think.. Coach is sitting there at a recruits dinner and is telling the players how he's going to be there.. Gets up in the middle of the dinner and takes another job.. Tuberville.. That's who it was..

Tommy Tuberville Literally Left Texas Tech In The Middle Of A Dinner With Texas Tech Recruits

Spurrier isn't doing something THAT bad.. But.. It's got a whiff of the same stench on it.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:12 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,457,035 times
When Sark left UW, one player's tweet stuck with me. It was Troy Williams, a QB-in-the-wings who has since transferred. I think my quote is near exact: "Don't never commit because of a coach. Faker than a three dollar bill." That's wisdom well beyond age nineteen. Commit because of a location, commit because of academics, commit because of an experience to be had, commit because of facilities, commit because it just feels right, commit because of a tradition. Don't commit because of someone who might retire mid-season, leave a dinner with recruits for another job, get canned on the tarmac at LAX, or find himself in rehab.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:24 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,859,987 times
Great great coach and a great character. Sure this isn't an awesome way to go out but we don't know all the facts. Who knows what's up behind the scenes. He's second behind Bear Bryant in wins in the SEC. He's very vocal about compensating the players, the people paying all the bills. For that alone he's better than the rest. Turning around 3 different schools and making them relevant and/or good again can't be overlooked. Guy knows college football. The old ball coach is the guy everyone wants/ed at their school.

(full disclosure, I'm a UF grad and drank the gator/kool-aid ages ago haha)

Old 10-13-2015, 01:18 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,672,681 times
I go back to the days of "Bandit-Ball", in the USFL, when Tampa Bay was in punt formation, and the punt team sprinted to the sidelines, to be replaced by the offense on 4 and short! The other side had to take a time out!

Also wonder had he stayed at Duke, would he have made it a football/passing power, and whether Coach K would've been the big man on campus!

Everyone knows the Fun-and-Gun!

Everyone knows how he sucked in Washington! How much of that was Snyder, too?

I'll leave out the 0-26 days as a QB with John McKay's expansion Bucs!

With all said, happy trails, Coach!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football