Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 01:10 PM

852 posts, read 1,357,524 times

Advertisements

Why not start a thread dedicated to the newest member of the Big Ten? Now that Nebraska has ditched the sinking ship that is the Big XII, what do you think about the move to the Big Ten? How will our beloved Huskers fare in the new conference? I know that in the state of Nebraska, expectations are high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 04:55 PM

977 posts, read 1,956,497 times
Expectations are high, and I hope they pan out. I am optimistic that they can win their division and earn a rematch with Wisconsin. I am still not sold on the offense though, they did not look good overall yesterday against Chattanooga.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:44 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
They better pray Texas doesn't move to the Big 10.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:34 PM

The offense is definitely a work in progress. I am hopeful that a more simplistic system will pay dividends especially as the players become more familiar with it. It's all going to come down to Taylor Martinez. If he stays healthy, they'll do very well. If he goes down, then all bets are off. Brion Carnes is unproven though he had a great spring game.

There ain't no way that Texas is going to the Big Ten. They are much more likely to remain in the Big XII or go to the Pac-12. I still think the end game for them is to go independent.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:09 AM

1,224 posts, read 2,189,580 times
I love the move. I couldn't think of a better fit for the B1G Ten or for Nebraska itself.

Football wise I think Nebraska will compete this first season, but I am not yet sold that they will win their division. Lucky most of the teams in the Legends are a little down though.

The biggest hurdle will be having no experience with these teams. Pelini knew most of the Big 12s offenses better than some of those other teams players. That isn't the case anymore.

In the end I think the Big Red could go as poor as 8-5 or as good as 13-1. I think they will end up in the 11-3 region though.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
I love the move. I couldn't think of a better fit for the B1G Ten or for Nebraska itself.

Football wise I think Nebraska will compete this first season, but I am not yet sold that they will win their division. Lucky most of the teams in the Legends are a little down though.

The biggest hurdle will be having no experience with these teams. Pelini knew most of the Big 12s offenses better than some of those other teams players. That isn't the case anymore.

In the end I think the Big Red could go as poor as 8-5 or as good as 13-1. I think they will end up in the 11-3 region though.
I tend to think that they'll lose two to three in-conference games this year. They'll definitely be in the running for the division title. In the end, I think it will come down to Nebraska or Michigan State playing Wisconsin.

Which games do you think they'll lose? I'll say Wisconsin and Penn State and possibly Michigan.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:58 AM

1,224 posts, read 2,189,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yman97 View Post
Which games do you think they'll lose? I'll say Wisconsin and Penn State and possibly Michigan.
I actually think the same as you there. Ohio St. will also be a possible one, we all remember the October home game last season that Husker fans got really hyped up for and the team ended up laying an egg.

Going to Penn St. will always be tough.

Michigan could be really good by the end of the season, they have the talent.

I honestly can't see the Huskers beating Wisconsin, I will be surprised if they do.

So between those 4 if they go .500 that is only a 2 loss season, which I will take in a heartbeat.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:17 PM

977 posts, read 1,956,497 times
It looks like the kicking game is in good shape despite the departure of Alex Henery. One should never underestimate the value of a good kicker, and Brett Maher looked great on Saturday. The Big 10 took notice.

Five Big Ten Schools Earn First Weekly Football Honors of 2011 Season - BIG TEN OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE

Old 09-05-2011, 02:26 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,949 times
I don't think they'll win the division, although they won't be bad either. I just think it's a really big jump from the Big 12 North to the Big 10.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:04 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yman97 View Post
The offense is definitely a work in progress. I am hopeful that a more simplistic system will pay dividends especially as the players become more familiar with it. It's all going to come down to Taylor Martinez. If he stays healthy, they'll do very well. If he goes down, then all bets are off. Brion Carnes is unproven though he had a great spring game.

There ain't no way that Texas is going to the Big Ten. They are much more likely to remain in the Big XII or go to the Pac-12. I still think the end game for them is to go independent.
Texas will probably go PAC 12, but never independent. The Big 10 would be my 2nd choice. The Dinky Dozen is a dead end.

Good luck to the Huskers up north, and please stomp a mudhole into the Buckeyes.

Are y'all going to schedule any of your old rivals from the Big 8 for OOC games?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football