U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 08:34 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,005,003 times

Advertisements

My Georgia family want Richt gone, but don't want to follow the Nebbie path to destruction.
Nebbie's game with Purdue wasn't as close as the score appears. I think if Reilly survives this season, he will be coaching for his job in 2016.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 08:39 AM

3,114 posts, read 2,525,978 times
Syracuse University has a new Athletic Director and Scott Shafer will be canned soon.

Old 11-01-2015, 11:06 AM

6,564 posts, read 12,311,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
My Georgia family want Richt gone, but don't want to follow the Nebbie path to destruction.
Nebbie's game with Purdue wasn't as close as the score appears. I think if Reilly survives this season, he will be coaching for his job in 2016.
As a Pac-12 fan who likes to see Nebraska do well, I could have told them that Riley was past it. My guys beat OSU two years straight in very assertive fashion, and what stood out to me was the defeated, tired, 'so done with this' look on Riley's face. He's probably the best coach the Beavs ever had, he's certainly one of the best people to represent OSU, and it was time for him to retire to Bandon and enjoy life.

It's hard to get everything a fanbase wants in a coach. Pelini won most of the time, but Husker fans weren't satisfied with it. I think it was partly because Pelini didn't see the fanbase the way it sees itselves, and because he was cantankerous. With the same record, if Pelini had been better at the PR aspects, I bet he'd still be there.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:23 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,090,419 times
Not that I think he's going to be fired, but.. Beamer at VT.. You have to wonder how much longer that will go on. Oh, crap.. Lol.. Ok.. Beamer's out.. Seriously, I looked it up while typing this to see if they had a prayer of being bowl eligible and the report came out 30 mins ago that he's retiring..

Frank Beamer to retire as Virginia Tech Hokies coach at end of season

Another one that I don't think will be fired, but might die on the sidelines is Steve Addazio at BC.. well, I see several things happening there.. He falls over dead from a heart attack on the sidelines, or he punches out an opposing player, or it comes out that he attacked one of his own players. There's just too much of an intensity level there, in a bad way. He seems to be a berating intense type person. with marginal results. Bad combination

VT has a shot at a bowl.. BC.. I don't think so. I don't see them beating ND.

Old 11-01-2015, 01:03 PM

6,544 posts, read 4,495,395 times
The loser of that game yesterday has no chance at being bowl eligble. BC still has to play ND (that'll be loss #7 for them) while VT still has to play @ Georgia Tech & UNC. They wouldn't have beaten both of them which is what they would've needed to do had they lost yesterday, but if they beat Virginia they can at least afford to lose 1 of those 2 and still finish 6-6.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:15 PM

1,673 posts, read 2,359,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
As a Pac-12 fan who likes to see Nebraska do well, I could have told them that Riley was past it. My guys beat OSU two years straight in very assertive fashion, and what stood out to me was the defeated, tired, 'so done with this' look on Riley's face. He's probably the best coach the Beavs ever had, he's certainly one of the best people to represent OSU, and it was time for him to retire to Bandon and enjoy life.

It's hard to get everything a fanbase wants in a coach. Pelini won most of the time, but Husker fans weren't satisfied with it. I think it was partly because Pelini didn't see the fanbase the way it sees itselves, and because he was cantankerous. With the same record, if Pelini had been better at the PR aspects, I bet he'd still be there.
It's obvious that the Nebraska fan base is still living in the past when it was an elite program. They fired a 9-3 coach Frank Solich only to hire Bill Callahan which was a disaster. Now they fire a decent 8-5, 9-3 coach Bo Pelini only to hire a coach who was blown out by Purdue yesterday.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:26 PM

6,561 posts, read 10,277,227 times
You can add Hawaii to the list of FBS openings. The Rainbow Warriors fired Norm Chow today.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:29 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,005,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
It's obvious that the Nebraska fan base is still living in the past when it was an elite program. They fired a 9-3 coach Frank Solich only to hire Bill Callahan which was a disaster. Now they fire a decent 8-5, 9-3 coach Bo Pelini only to hire a coach who was blown out by Purdue yesterday.
They are still living in the Big 8. Where is just them and OU that care about football. Even then they were delusional. TO almost went to Colorado.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:10 AM

3,190 posts, read 6,346,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Syracuse University has a new Athletic Director and Scott Shafer will be canned soon.
I like Shafer's defensive mindset! He was able to stop Geno Smith, twice, as DC, and edge out a bowl win in his first season!

But in this day and age, finding 5-star talent to go to Cuse, these days with so many other school options; add to that the college game going through an era of offense, and Shaf may be at the wrong place at the wrong time!

The other problem is while Syracuse has a big of a history, a private school in the north with a small-seat Domed stadium these days, is a hard sell on any big name coach! With that said, does Cuse want to take back a Doug Marrone, despite the circumstances in which he left? (see Bobby Petrino back at Louisville as a model!)

Old 11-02-2015, 01:21 PM

3,190 posts, read 6,346,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
I like Shafer's defensive mindset! He was able to stop Geno Smith, twice, as DC, and edge out a bowl win in his first season!

But in this day and age, finding 5-star talent to go to Cuse, these days with so many other school options; add to that the college game going through an era of offense, and Shaf may be at the wrong place at the wrong time!

The other problem is while Syracuse has a big of a history, a private school in the north with a small-seat Domed stadium these days, is a hard sell on any big name coach! With that said, does Cuse want to take back a Doug Marrone, despite the circumstances in which he left? (see Bobby Petrino back at Louisville as a model!)
Oh, yeah, another add: Shaf's defenses are not playing well, nowadays!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or