Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2015, 09:36 PM

529 posts, read 369,746 times

Advertisements

Now things are really heating up and we have some great games to look forward to this final month of the regular season.

Week 10

Penn St. at Northwestern - While Penn St. has only lost two road games to Temple and Ohio St. who have but one loss between them. There best win was against (4-4) Indiana @ Home. Northwestern, on the other hand, also has two losses, one on the road @ unbeaten Iowa and the other to a 2 loss Michigan squad at home. The Wildcats have two pretty strong road wins one at Stanford, the other at Duke. NW however, have taken a dive since their early season heroics and 5-0 start, barely beating Nebraska in their last game to stop the bleeding after losing two in a row. Very tough call.

Duke at North Carolina - Duke was just robbed last week against Miami. They will have a chip on their shoulder. NC just beat Pitt on the road, and coupled with the Duke loss have assumed control of the Coastal. Winner of this game likely wins the division.

Florida St. at Clemson - Florida St. lost to Ga Tech on a bizarre end of the game play. Clemson has been rolling, and seemingly getting stronger. I don't think FSU has been all that good this season and fully expect Clemson to win by 3 touchdowns or better.

TCU at Oklahoma St. - Two unbeaten teams square off in the first of a tremendous 4 week stretch in the Big 12. Since all of the "big games" in the Big 12 are in November, both teams best win is at Texas Tech. TCU won by three and OSU won by 17, although TT came out fast and jumped out to a 17-0 lead. Overall the Frogs have been winning by fairly large margins, whereas the Cowboys have had quite a few 10 point or less wins.

Navy at Memphis - These teams are a combined 14-1. Navy's only loss came on the road at ND, by 17. Their best win came at home against Air Force. Navy's had a great season, but I do believe Memphis is too strong for them.

LSU at Alabama - Another pair that carries a 14-1 mark coming into November. Bama has been inconsistent but has played well against the better teams they've played. Their only loss came to Ole Miss after they committed 5 turnovers. LSU has been getting better each week. Fournette is a beast who will get his toughest test against a typically tough Bama run defense. Brandon Harris enters this game as the #2 ranked QB is the SEC, if he can perform like he is capable of, it could be a long day for the Tide. On the other hand, LSU hasn't yet faced a rusher like Henry. As usual the winner of this game likely wins the West.

Honorable Mention:

California at Oregon - Not a super big game, but the winner of this game becomes bowl eligible.

Week 11

Memphis at Houston - Two unbeatens at the start of November. Memphis has a pretty strong win at home against Ole Miss, but Houston's best win is against (4-4) Louisville. They have not beaten a team that currently holds a winning record.

Pittsburgh at Duke - If Duke wins in week 10 against NC, this game will secure the Coastal for them.

Alabama at Mississippi St. - I expect Miss St. to have won during week 10, so at worst this will be two 2 loss teams battling to stay relevant in the Bowl selection process.

Oklahoma at Baylor - The second of the Big 12 power match-ups this month. Baylor has been dominant but again like the TCU/OSU game both of these team's best win is against Texas Tech. Barring a meltdown vs rival Texas in the Red River Shootout, this would be another battle of unbeatens. Baylor at home will likely be favored, but I wouldn't be surprised if that Sooner defense slows down this Bear offense and gives them a very good game.

Washington St. at UCLA - Two 5-3 teams. Winner becomes bowl eligible. Wazzou almost upset Stanford, and UCLA really needs this game if they want to have any chance at recovering the South. If they can pull out the win they still have Utah and USC and can still walk out with the South title.

Week 12

Toledo at Bowling Green - Bowling Green has but two losses entering the month, and could be 8-2 when these two collide. If the Rockets get by NIU, this is Toledo's biggest challenge to end the regular season unbeaten.

Memphis at Temple - I fully expect Memphis to hammer Houston pretty good, and they'll be undefeated coming in. Temple lost a close one against ND, and if they play like that they can beat the Tigers. This is probably going to be a preview of the AAC championship game.

TCU at Oklahoma - Game 3 of the Big 12 battle of heavyweights.

Baylor at Oklahoma St. - Game 4 of the Big 12 battle of heavyweights.

Michigan St. at Ohio St. - This game probably decides the East. Michigan St. knows they are fortunate to still be unbeaten and Ohio St, while looking sluggish the first half of the season looks to be back in form.

Michigan at Penn St. - Both enter November with only 2 losses. The 4 combined losses come to teams who enter the month carrying a 30-2 record. Now Penn St. could have suffered another loss @ NW during week 10, but if not, the winner of this game still has an outside shot at the East.

Northwestern at Wisconsin - Two more teams entering the month with only 2 losses so far. Both teams have lost to Iowa and both will need a complete meltdown from the Hawkeyes to have a shot at the West. Loser of this game is essentially eliminated from even that outside shot.

LSU at Ole Miss - If LSU beats Bama this game decides the West. If Bama wins that game, Ole Miss needs to win to avoid a three way tie.

UCLA at Utah - If UCLA can beat Wazzou in week 11, this game will go a long way in determining the winner of the South.

California at Stanford - California could come into this game @ 7-3. Stanford was sluggish against Wazzou and maybe showed a weakness that Cal can exploit.

Honorable Mention:

USC at Oregon - Likely not important by week 12, but as of right now two 5-3 win teams.

Week 13

Navy at Houston - I expect both to have been beaten by Memphis earlier this month, and for this game to be for 2nd place in the West.

Marshall at Western Kentucky - Entering November at 7-1 and 6-2 respectively, both are 5-0 in conference play and it is likely that this game determines the East crown of CUSA.

Baylor at TCU - The match everyone has been eyeballing for weeks now. I have a feeling one or both will have already suffered at least one loss, but if not, this game decides the Big 12 and who will make the final 4.

Oklahoma vs Oklahoma St. - Depending on the previous three weeks, this game could also decide the Big 12.

Ohio St. at Michigan - You know Harbaugh has been game planning for this game all year. He failed to win his first instate rivalry on a fluke play. He will be extra hungry for this one. Should be fun.

Penn St. at Michigan St. - Penn St. could have as many as 4 losses by the time this game rolls around, but I expect them to give the Spartans a decent game.

Southern Miss at LA Tech - Like the Marshall/W. Kentucky game this will decide CUSA's West crown.

Florida St. at Florida - This rivalry game is always tough, and even if FSU loses to Clemson as expected, they should be still be ranked when they walk into Gainesville.

Ole Miss at Miss. St. - The eggbowl may be pretty big if things go well for both teams.

Notre Dame at Stanford - Both could be 10-1 coming in and still hopeful of an invite to the big dance.

Honorable Mention

UCLA at USC - Might decide the South, but also could feature two teams completely out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 11:38 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,460,573 times
Week 12 looks really good! Toledo/Bowling Green is a big rivalry game and I think that might be one of the midweek MACtion games (not sure though). Then the 2 Big 12 games, LSU vs. Ole Miss, and the big game between Cal/Stanford.

As for this week: In terms of "must watch" I'd rank Navy vs. Memphis ahead of Florida State vs. Clemson. You can make a really strong case Clemson should've beaten them last year in Tallahassee, and the Clemson team last year wasn't nearly as good this as the Clemson team this year while the FSU team from last year would wipe the floor with the 2015 team. Add in the fact Clemson is at home and I think Clemson wins in a rout. The option attack of Navy is difficult to prepare for especially if you don't play them often (this will be the first time Navy & Memphis have ever played) AND don't have multiple weeks to prepare for them: i.e opening the season, in the bowl, or a bye week. Since Memphis played last week, even with this game at home and playing Houston & Temple on the road I think Navy gives Memphis their toughest game of the season (and I agree they beat both Houston & Temple).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football