U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 01:31 PM

462 posts, read 335,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCguy81 View Post
I'm sorry. Let me be clear. Whatever type of academic assistance, requires a commitment. In this case, the university, through whatever means, will pay the associated costs for an opportunity at a higher level of education, thus you play football on Saturdays ( or when directed ). This country was absolutely founded on contract principle and the ability to freely enter into such agreements. But that's for the political forum. They should announce their intention to transfer to protest such abhorrent conditions. But get that education.
Huh?

Old 11-08-2015, 01:44 PM

903 posts, read 654,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild100s View Post
Huh?
Lol. I get it. You want to discuss Ferguson

Old 11-08-2015, 01:57 PM

462 posts, read 335,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCguy81 View Post
Lol. I get it. You want to discuss Ferguson
I knew you'd eventually tell on yourself.

Old 11-08-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild100s View Post
I knew you'd eventually tell on yourself.
You want to go first?

Old 11-08-2015, 04:22 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,864,702 times
From what I understand HC Gary Pinkel is in full support of the football players who've threatened to boycott the remaining three games of this season, unless the university president either resigns or is removed from office. I'm not sure what precipitated the threatened boycott. My local newspaper didn't really cover the issue other than state that minority students at the University of Missouri have racial grievances that the school has yet to address to their satisfaction. Whatever the racial issues are, it must be some serious *****, because the leading protester is on a hunger strike.

Old 11-08-2015, 04:50 PM

3,190 posts, read 6,346,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Syracuse University had 10 black players boycott spring practice during 1970 and it pretty much ruined the program for more than a decade.
Anyone who has read the recently-published "Leveling The Playing Field, the Story of the Syracuse Eight" will find it to be a great read. Mind you, the players involved were blatantly blackballed from all forms of pro football, even Canada! The players consulted with Jim Brown and John Mackey, who, while supporting them, told them the real consequences. They knew what was gonna be up, fell back on their academics and all became productive members of society!

As for Mizzou, one has to ask folk who support stripping scholarships for not playing: Isn't a university's obligation to have an atmosphere conducive and safe for all to learn? And if a school is forstering a hostile environment, don't student athletes have an argument about a school failing on its end of the 'deal'?

One should consider those questions, as well as the consequences for retaliating against student athletes who take action against what they belive is a hostile campus environment. As was said above, Syracuse took a decade to recover (actually, a decade and a half), due to a coach who was hard set in his ways, both on and off the field! Does the University of Missouri, currently at 4-5, want to risk double-digit losses, lost football revenue, and declining enrollment for the next 15 years by taking a hard stand against its athletes? Those are some questions to consider. Syracuse went through all of that!

With that, it is my hope that the issues in Columbia are worked out for the good of all!

Old 11-08-2015, 05:11 PM

6,564 posts, read 12,311,734 times
I support the players. They're taking a stand which has serious potential to affect their future and dreams, for a cause they believe in. They realize that they have power in their hands and they're choosing to use it. They're stepping up as leaders. Offhand, I'd say this guy they're mad at, his name is now mud and it's just a matter of making it official.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:03 PM

145 posts, read 127,918 times
Could it be the athletes are NOT getting the academic "free ride" so often expected when scholarships are given for excelling in a sport that could eventually prove to be the athletes bread and butter? Free passing grades just for winning football games........What is the record at Mizzou?

Old 11-08-2015, 10:44 PM

16,977 posts, read 8,633,785 times
The folks that cried wolf were last month demanding a statue of Jefferson be removed because it is racist... so many racial tensions stories its a little/LOT worn out

Old 11-09-2015, 09:35 AM

University of Missouri President steps down / resigns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football