Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 05:57 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,408,909 times

Advertisements

What the players realize is that, while the university could in theory rescind their scholarships if they boycotted team activity, doing so would butcher out the athletic cash cow. It would also annoy alumni, including wealthy donors, who want to see the team win, and who influence the school in proportion to their donations. So the players acted from a place of relative safety, and in so doing, served notice to their school that its leaders should respect their concerns and viewpoints. This has to have university admins all over the country turning pale. Considering what a bunch of craven five-star corporate horses' posteriors many of those admins are, it warms my soul.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:48 PM

455 posts, read 646,317 times
Bingo...

Old 11-09-2015, 07:12 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,042,089 times
Another perspective Mizzou Meltdown - FITSNews

Old 11-09-2015, 09:21 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,230,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zumaboy View Post
I really don't have much of a dog in this hunt... However, if their scholarships can be taken away for them not performing on demand, that sounds like they are employees - which is a slippery slope that universities don't want to go down. If they are simply on scholarship, can they not engage in protest activities like any other scholarship student? It's not as simple as it seems on the surface, that's all I'm saying...

that's the same thing if I take an academic scholarship and not show up for the classes....it can be taken away.

every scholarship comes with strings attach that the student agrees when they take the scholarship....you can't change the rules after you agree to an agreement because you think the President of the University is "too white" or "too privilege"

if they give you a scholarship to play football and you agree you have to show up especially if the school will get fine 1 million dollars for for not showing up.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
So the players acted from a place of relative safety, and in so doing, served notice to their school that its leaders should respect their concerns and viewpoints. This has to have university admins all over the country turning pale. Considering what a bunch of craven five-star corporate horses' posteriors many of those admins are, it warms my soul.

explain how the President disrespected their concerns and viewpoints? ....have you look at the protesters demands? its absurd......all because 1 student decided to go on a hunger strike because the school is "too white" and the President "too privilege".

this is the same crowd that won't take no for an answer and wanted the police officer who shot Mike Brown on self defense hanged no matter the evidence.......I will bet you the same people who made a circus out of Ferguson are the same people behind this.

now you have students and the mob running the school....good luck with that.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:32 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,042,089 times
Mizzou elected an openly-gay, black homecoming king. *The school was also where*Michael Sam – the first openly gay person selected in the NFL draft – terrorized opposing quarterbacks.

(Sam is black, incidentally).

Does that sound like a*hotbed of “systematic” intolerance to you?

Old 11-09-2015, 09:58 PM

what did the President exactly do wrong?.....please details.......1 student started all this with a hunger strike because he thinks the President is "too white" and "too privilege" and wanted him to resign.

he was called the "N" word (allegedly) outside of the university from guys in a truck and its the President's job to run out there and chase the truck and bring them to justice outside of school grounds? come on, this whole thing is absurd.

Just like when a few Rams player came out with their hands up after Ferguson....ignoring all the facts about the case.....this is a bad circus.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:13 PM

455 posts, read 646,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
that's the same thing if I take an academic scholarship and not show up for the classes....it can be taken away
Actually it's more like you take an academic scholarship and then participate in a protest against something the university does that you think is wrong, and then the university takes away your scholarship. I don't think there are any easy answers here, but it's a little more complicated than the "strip their scholarship" crowd wants to believe...

Old 11-09-2015, 10:19 PM

back in October someone apparently drew a swastika on the wall of a gender-neutral dorm on campus … using human feces.
That display prompted 25-year-old Jonathan Butler – a black graduate student at the school – to launch a hunger strike. According to Butler, he was willing to die for his cause – namely opposing the “systematic oppression” of Mizzou’s minority students.
“I already feel like campus is an unlivable space, so it’s worth sacrificing something of this grave amount, because I’m already not wanted here,” he told The Washington Post. “I’m already not treated like I’m a human.”

please, is it just me or should this Jonathan Butler should be slap many tines for being a pansy......not even my nephews who are in elementary school act like this fool.....if nobody wanted him around is because he is a troublemaker and a pansy....Hunger Strike???? LOL....he thinks he is Gandhi now?

if somebody in college drew swastika on the wall of a gender-neutral dorm on campus using human feces....you find out who it was and if you can't then you clean the wall.....the JANITOR of the school should be complaining not this fool........this is college, a lot of boneheaded fools will pull pranks, some get caught others don't.....that is no reason to go in a hunger strike.....and shouldn't a swastika be more of an offense to Jews....I didn't see a Jew in campus go into a hunger strike...they must have 1 or 2 Jews on campus.

how easily one ignorant fool can start a chain reaction of ignorance and many will follow.....lol

Old 11-09-2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumaboy View Post
Actually it's more like you take an academic scholarship and then participate in a protest against something the university does that you think is wrong, and then the university takes away your scholarship. I don't think there are any easy answers here, but it's a little more complicated than the "strip their scholarship" crowd wants to believe...

you can protest all you want but you still have to show up for class and play football it that's what your scholarship demands....life goes on.

there aren't any easy answers???? this is obvious and simple to explain........this was a mob student rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football