U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 01:20 PM
Status: "What if there were no hypothetical questions?" (set 4 days ago)

3,208 posts, read 4,663,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
New Mexico goes mostly for UNM. Support for New Mexico St is mostly just around Las Cruces.

Iowa goes mostly for Iowa, though it's not as clear-cut as New Mexico. Obviously you'll find more Cyclone fans around Ames and Hawkeye fans around Iowa City, but the rest of the state is pretty mixed, probably about 2:1 in favor of the Hawkeyes.

My experience in Texas is pretty limited, but as far as the Waco area (aside from the obvious majority of Baylor fans), I have been surprised to see that support for the Longwhorns is not as high as I had expected, and support for A&M is higher than I expected prior to moving here. How that plays out over the rest of the state though, I don't know.

Iowa Hawkeye fans are state wide. ISU pretty much dominates only in the Des Moines/Ames area. Des Moines might be almost 50/50. Northeast Iowa has a pretty strong U. of Northern Iowa fan base.

One other thing that has struck me over the last 8 years that my son has lived in southwestern and west central Iowa is that Nebraska Cornhusker fans outnumber Iowa, ISU, and U. Northern Iowa fans there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 01:44 PM

447 posts, read 475,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
Having lived in SC for 12 years now I get the sense that USC draws most of the attention being that it is is centrally located in Columbia and seems to have a larger alumni base in state. Clemson seems to exist only along I-85 from Rock Hill down to Anderson and even then Rock Hill it seems falls into the USC camp.
You will find pockets of support for Clemson all over the state, but particularly in the Upstate. SC is a larger school and alumni base. Clemson alumni seem to be more broadly scattered across the region and neighboring states. During their run of success, SC picked up a lot of bandwagon fans that had no particular connection to the university, although recently all those chicken flags seem to be getting stowed away in closets...

Old 11-30-2015, 03:00 PM

977 posts, read 1,634,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
One other thing that has struck me over the last 8 years that my son has lived in southwestern and west central Iowa is that Nebraska Cornhusker fans outnumber Iowa, ISU, and U. Northern Iowa fans there.
Very true. I was one of them when I was growing up outside of Sioux City.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:59 PM
JJG

13,250 posts, read 19,235,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaching View Post
I am in Dallas and know just as many Texas Tech fans as I do UT and TAMU. I would even venture to say that the Baylor continengent is just as strong. The privates in Texas like Baylor & TCU really do pull a large chunk. Look at the stadiums at these privates, that is a sure sign of a large fan base.
Speaking as a TCU fan... we do NOT have a large fanbase.

It's really just Fort Worth and Tarrant County. That's about it.

Old 12-01-2015, 03:39 PM

11,787 posts, read 13,422,604 times
Alabama has the majority control over the state but i feel like there is an equally strong auburns fanbase here in the Birmingham metro even though Tuscaloosa is practically in the metro area. The aubies claimed otherwise to get the Iron Bowl moved away from the city but i think it initially helped them because when it was initially alternating between Birmingham and arrbrins it was an advantage for them being like a home game alternating between a neutral site game. UAB is struggling to be a distant third. I think Huntsville is really in Tennessee so they have just as many orange fans up there as they do either Alabama school. Montgomery slants towards awwwbud. Not sure about Mobile.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:20 PM

7,260 posts, read 8,262,815 times
North Carolina isn't just UNC and NC State although these two would be the biggest followings state-wide amongst the NC schools. There is also East Carolina University in Greenville which has a good number of fans in the state. And despite being an FCS program until this season, Appalachain State in Boone has a very solid following.

I live in Charlotte and honestly, Clemson and South Carolina are the two biggest Football followings I see here. I should also point out Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, and the Triad areas have seen a lot of transplants from Big Ten country in the past 25 years. Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan and Michigan State all have a rather noticeable presence in Raleigh and Charlotte. And on top of that, Florida and Florida State, Georgia, Tennessee, Virginia and Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Note Dame, and Alabama/Auburn all have a decent following here.

IMO, there isn't really a "winner" here. I guess if you were add everything up, UNC would probably be that "winner", but this state pretty diverse in the college department that picking a winner isn't as easy as other states.

Last edited by Canes2006Champs; 12-01-2015 at 08:00 PM..

Old 12-01-2015, 07:47 PM

6,564 posts, read 12,344,061 times
In Washington, we have a number of smaller state universities, most of which play in I-AA or lower. I would say that support for WSU is disproportionate to the population base of the eastern half of the state, for a number of reasons, starting perhaps with the fact that WSU has about half the student body of UW, whereas eastern WA probably does not have 1/3 of the state's population. WSU fandom is more integral to eastern WA life than UW fandom is to western WA life, in part because there are fewer Seattle distractions close to hand. I'd say it's about 60/40 in favor of UW overall. Having lived as a UW alum in eastern Washington for seventeen years, I was far more isolated there than any WSU alum is likely to feel in Seattle.

Both universities serve important niches. UW has prestigious medical, dental, nursing, and law programs, and does many things well. WSU has a fine engineering school, and its agricultural knowledge and research propel the diverse agricultural bounty of the state; it offers a number of programs not available at UW. I am purple and gold until the day I die, but anyone who can't appreciate what WSU does well academically is simply being small-minded (of course, that should not extend to wanting them to be good at football). The land grant initiative that created our agricultural, engineering, and mining-focused schools is a good example of the sort of forward thinking that used to characterize the United States, and many states (including nearly all the Western ones) are living the benefits of that brilliant decision.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:48 PM

500 posts, read 384,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Speaking as a TCU fan... we do NOT have a large fanbase.

It's really just Fort Worth and Tarrant County. That's about it.
There is a fair number of TCU fans in Dallas and Collin Counties.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:55 PM

500 posts, read 384,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
I should also point out Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, and the Triad areas have seen a lot of transplants from Big Ten country in the past 25 years. Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan and Michigan State all have a rather noticeable presence in Raleigh and Charlotte.

Same here in the Dallas area. Wonder if any of these schools have any fans still left in their home state. You pretty much listed all of the main ones we see here in Dallas on a daily basis in addition to Notre Dame.
Places like Rally House here in DFW that sell sports team clothing, etc always have a decent inventory of:
Notre Dame, Michigan, Penn St, Ohio St, LSU. We see it at the Dallas Stars games, every home game the visiting team has a good showing of fans, some Stars STH that are there every game wearing Stars stuff will be sporting their hometowns jersey. Shows how transient our society has become.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:19 PM

7,260 posts, read 8,262,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaching View Post
Same here in the Dallas area. Wonder if any of these schools have any fans still left in their home state. You pretty much listed all of the main ones we see here in Dallas on a daily basis in addition to Notre Dame.
Places like Rally House here in DFW that sell sports team clothing, etc always have a decent inventory of:
Notre Dame, Michigan, Penn St, Ohio St, LSU. We see it at the Dallas Stars games, every home game the visiting team has a good showing of fans, some Stars STH that are there every game wearing Stars stuff will be sporting their hometowns jersey. Shows how transient our society has become.
I've got a friend who is currently going to school at Michigan State. I went to visit him when they played Indiana this season and we did tailgate but didn't go to the game. Of the 20 or so Spartans that were in our group, I think only 5 were still living in Michigan. The rest were mostly living in the SE USA or Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or