Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 09:23 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,390,986 times

Advertisements

CBS does not agree with ESPN's Projected Bowl Games. Some are the same and some are quite different. For the first time there may not be enough Bowl Eligible Teams. Do some bowls not get played or how are the small amount of > .500 teams get selected?

NCAA College Football - CBSSports.com

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 07:44 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,542,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
CBS does not agree with ESPN's Projected Bowl Games. Some are the same and some are quite different. For the first time there may not be enough Bowl Eligible Teams. Do some bowls not get played or how are the small amount of > .500 teams get selected?

MSR

Jerry Palm @CBS is kind of a dork.

As to your question, yes they will still play all the bowls and just choose the "best" 5-7 team from whatever conference the bowl is tied to. In every bowl game it is always the bowl's choice as far as who they invite.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:58 AM

8,596 posts, read 14,792,371 times
I hope he's wrong. There's no way in hell I'm booking a trip to Boise at the end of December. Would rather see my Rams in Tucson or Fort Worth which is what the ESPN talking heads projected.

Old 11-30-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I hope he's wrong. There's no way in hell I'm booking a trip to Boise at the end of December. Would rather see my Rams in Tucson or Fort Worth which is what the ESPN talking heads projected.
I can't say that I blame you, bluescreen. I remembered seeing whatever name the Boise bowl uses. What a ridiculous name! Tells me Micron, Albertsons, Simplot or other regional/national sponsors weren't interested in sponsoring that bowl. Boise always brags about their wineries and even one local coffee company. Maybe they should seek different sponship. I'M never that interested to watch the blue turf bowl, although I have seen a game there.

Hope the Rams get a better bowl!

MSR

Old 11-30-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
Jerry Palm @CBS is kind of a dork.

As to your question, yes they will still play all the bowls and just choose the "best" 5-7 team from whatever conference the bowl is tied to. In every bowl game it is always the bowl's choice as far as who they invite.
I was reading comments in the ESPN conversation part when someone dared to mention CBS didn't see it the same way for certain bowls. Some don't like certain ESPN commentatord either. Different news sources will see things differently. I admit my interest was the PAC-12, so for me I like the CBS predictions better. Some teams deserve lesser bowls, IMO, despite the population of the city where the university is located.

Yes, I agree about going to 5-7 teams, although they may not make the money the others do. Yes and no about each bowl inviting teams. Certain bowls have a guaranteed slot for a specific Conference. I admit I don't know where in the bowl list it becomes at large invitations. I'm open to feedback if anyone can clarify further.

At one point in bowl history a lot of the decisions came from which teams could fill the stands. I'm not sure how that factors in 2015 with not enough teams at .500.

Thanks,

MSR

Old 12-02-2015, 09:25 AM

9,704 posts, read 7,383,978 times
Quote:

MSR

I think I read somewhere on ESPN last week or a couple weeks ago, that if any slots needed to be filled with 5-7 teams, that those 5-7 teams would be chosen based on the graduation rate or something to that effect (the something br). Can't say I blame them for that. As I've said previously, I don't even think a 7-5 team should be playing in a bowl game, much less a 5-7 team, so if you have any 5-7 teams, you might as well take the teams that graduate the most players. I know the NCAA treats FBS football & division 1 basketball like a business, but 90%+ of these "athletes" won't be playing professionally, are in school for a career opportunity, and are playing the sport that they love for one last time, for the most of them, competitively for the last time in their lives. May as well make those schools that treat their programs like it should be, to help the players advance their careers in the working class field, then as a business the NCAA portrays them to be.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:02 PM

9,704 posts, read 7,383,978 times
Quote:

MSR

I just counted this morning, there's going to be between 3 and 7 slots to fill. 75 teams have qualified, and another 3 were at 5-6 playing their final games today. So, there's at least going to be 3 5-7 teams and quite possibly 4 or 5 5-7 teams in bowls which brings up a big problem:
How do we decide which 5-7 team is better then the others: East Carolina beat Virginia Tech and only lost by 7 to BYU & Florida. Nebraska beat* Michigan State but got slaughtered by Purdue the worst team in the conference, Minnesota lost their coach, lost by 3 to Michigan, and by 5 to Iowa, Texas beat Baylor & Oklahoma, Kentucky beat Missouri, but lost 6 of 7 to end the season, Missouri started the season ranked, beat BYU but were 0-2 vs. ranked teams. That's 6 teams and we're not even talking about the Buffalo's, San Jose State's, or Louisiana-Lafayette's of the Mountain West, MAC & Sun Belt. So here's what I think the bowls should do:
Invite FCS teams! First of all, when the first bowl starts (December 19), that will only be final 4 weekend, so there will still be plenty of quality FCS teams that got their season ended earlier. I actually see this as a win/win: the bowls get a quality team, and even though the FCS teams are wishing they were still in the playoffs, at least they'd get another chance to prove their worth against an FBS team AND for one last positive we might actually see a competitive team. Imagine a 6-6 Auburn in the "St. Petersburg Bowl." In this current format they'll get paired up with like a 5-7 Nebraska or Texas, 2 teams going through the motions wishing the season would end, and wishing they were somewhere else. The game drags on as it's played sloppy by 2 uninteresting teams. Now in my fantasy format we sub the 5-7 Nebraska with the #5 ranked FCS McNeese state Cowboys who lost a 10 point game to the #4 seed the previous weekend. Instead of spending the summer sulking on it, they get to go on vacation to Florida, the seniors play another game, AND they get to play an SEC opponent in Auburn. On the other side of the coin, Auburn won't want to be embarrassed on national TV by the FCS team, so they'll actually try instead of mailing it in. Really, I don't see anything wrong it almost makes too much sense..........................which means the NCAA will NEVER approve it .

As for selection for FCS teams: Easy. Take the highest ranked team that isn't in the playoffs and go down the list until the bowls get the eligible number of teams.

Old 12-06-2015, 03:21 PM

8,596 posts, read 14,792,371 times
Welp, the bowl invites are all handed out. Unfortunately my Rammies are gonna make news for all the wrong reasons. They got into the inaugural Arizona Bowl - against Nevada. MW vs. MW - AND it won't be on TV. Pathetic.

Old 12-06-2015, 03:54 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,584,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Welp, the bowl invites are all handed out. Unfortunately my Rammies are gonna make news for all the wrong reasons. They got into the inaugural Arizona Bowl - against Nevada. MW vs. MW - AND it won't be on TV. Pathetic.
It'll be broadcast on ASN. Whatever that is. Haha.

http://americansportsnet.com/

Old 12-06-2015, 07:31 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,691,502 times
the pac12 puts ten teams into bowl games this year, only oregon st and colorado are staying home. my wildcats play the lobos in the new mexico bowl. i wonder if the kit carson rifle is up for grabs in this game?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football