Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 04:51 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times

Advertisements

Many of our states have two major public universities; in some cases they are both seen as flagships. The football support for the two in a given state runs the gamut between overwhelmingly for one school (usually the oldest and the flagship) to fairly even divide for the two fan bases.

How does the support for each school divvy up for your state if yours is a two public u's state, such as….

UNC-NC St
SCar-Clem
UVa-VT
PSU-Pitt
UGa-GT
UF-FSU
Ala-Aub
Ole Miss-Miss St
IU-Pur
U-M-MSU
Ia-Ia St
KU-K-St
OU-OkSt
UT-A&M
Col-Col St
UNM-NMSU
Utah-USU
UA-ASU
Cal-UCLA
Ore-Ore St
Wash-WSU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 05:48 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,311,334 times
Georgia is predominately UGA supporters. It is kind of like Tech who? Bama is more evenly split, but Bama still has a considerable edge. At least everyone knows who Auburn is.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:28 AM

977 posts, read 1,956,080 times
New Mexico goes mostly for UNM. Support for New Mexico St is mostly just around Las Cruces.

Iowa goes mostly for Iowa, though it's not as clear-cut as New Mexico. Obviously you'll find more Cyclone fans around Ames and Hawkeye fans around Iowa City, but the rest of the state is pretty mixed, probably about 2:1 in favor of the Hawkeyes.

My experience in Texas is pretty limited, but as far as the Waco area (aside from the obvious majority of Baylor fans), I have been surprised to see that support for the Longwhorns is not as high as I had expected, and support for A&M is higher than I expected prior to moving here. How that plays out over the rest of the state though, I don't know.

Old 11-29-2015, 04:31 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
My experience in Texas is pretty limited, but as far as the Waco area (aside from the obvious majority of Baylor fans), I have been surprised to see that support for the Longwhorns is not as high as I had expected, and support for A&M is higher than I expected prior to moving here. How that plays out over the rest of the state though, I don't know.
IMO, the Longhorns/Aggies divide is as much urban vs. rural as it is proximity to the school and partly specific to some professions whose majors are offered at one school and not the other.

Texas doesn't neatly apply to the OP's premise, since it has 4 state university systems: UT, A&M, Texas Tech and Texas State. The divide in professions that I mentioned above gets a little murkier when you factor in Texas Tech, since it has overlap in majors with the unique majors offered at both of the 2 largest systems.

Old 11-29-2015, 04:55 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,849,134 times
Having lived in SC for 12 years now I get the sense that USC draws most of the attention being that it is is centrally located in Columbia and seems to have a larger alumni base in state. Clemson seems to exist only along I-85 from Rock Hill down to Anderson and even then Rock Hill it seems falls into the USC camp.

Ohio where I grew up is and always will be OSU first, everyone else second.

Old 11-29-2015, 05:26 PM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times
It used to be CU Buffs #1, and CSU Rams/Air Force sucking hind teet.

Now, it's CU Buffs sucking hind teet with CSU Rams and the Zoomies fighting for the top spot.

When the Zoomies beat the Buffs next season, that will cement this fact.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:48 PM

2,326 posts, read 3,934,483 times
Can't mention Utah without BYU. Then Notre Dame is in Indiana, though people might forget that.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:34 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
hey, guys, i was comparing the base of state-wide public universities (state institutions) so I avoided any suggestion that I was interested how private schools, parochial ones (BYU, ND), or military academies (USAF) fit into the mix.

just the two in-state state u's going head to head.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:11 AM

500 posts, read 583,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
IMO, the Longhorns/Aggies divide is as much urban vs. rural as it is proximity to the school and partly specific to some professions whose majors are offered at one school and not the other.

Texas doesn't neatly apply to the OP's premise, since it has 4 state university systems: UT, A&M, Texas Tech and Texas State. The divide in professions that I mentioned above gets a little murkier when you factor in Texas Tech, since it has overlap in majors with the unique majors offered at both of the 2 largest systems.

No, Texas does not fit into this type of poll. Even though this is between the publics, the privates in Texas also have a huge following that take away a large chunk of the fan base.

I am in Dallas and know just as many Texas Tech fans as I do UT and TAMU. I would even venture to say that the Baylor continengent is just as strong. The privates in Texas like Baylor & TCU really do pull a large chunk. Look at the stadiums at these privates, that is a sure sign of a large fan base.

This is why there is no way to try and compare the fan base of only 2 publics in Texas. Texas is way too big and has too large of a population that evenly splits up between at least the 3 largets publics: UT, TAMU, TT.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:14 AM

500 posts, read 583,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Georgia is predominately UGA supporters. It is kind of like Tech who? Bama is more evenly split, but Bama still has a considerable edge. At least everyone knows who Auburn is.

Agree, Bama ovver auburn. It also depends on location in the state. More people in the SE part of Alabama are going to follow auburn over Bama. However, Bama does seem to have a larger overall fanbase, not just in Alabama but nationally. With almost 60% of the student body now being from out of state, the fanbase has grown significantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football