U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 02:16 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,017,441 times

Advertisements

Steve Sarkisian Sues USC -- You Fired Me Over My Disability ... Wants More Than $30 Mil (UPDATE) | TMZ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 02:56 PM

6,552 posts, read 10,254,632 times
Guess he never wants to coach at the FBS level again. Suing a former employer is bad juju.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:07 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,119,337 times
Sounds like Sark
found an ambulance-chasing shark.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:45 PM

6,564 posts, read 12,300,912 times
As a Husky fan, I feel like a passenger in a plane that narrowly avoided hitting another aircraft as it banked over and into a dive. Makes me feel bad for SC, because I have long respected their program, and wasn't angry with Sark for leaving--at the cost of some steep bar tabs, he did us far more good than harm.

A Petersen-style rebuild may take longer than some Dawgs wish, but I'm going out on a limb and saying that "Petersen fired by email on his way to dry out in rehab, now suing university" is a headline that is about as likely as "Will Muschamp wins national title at South Carolina."

Old 12-07-2015, 05:57 PM

2,034 posts, read 2,427,411 times
I have a feeling this isn't going to go well for him.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:50 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,148,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
As a Husky fan, I feel like a passenger in a plane that narrowly avoided hitting another aircraft as it banked over and into a dive. Makes me feel bad for SC, because I have long respected their program, and wasn't angry with Sark for leaving--at the cost of some steep bar tabs, he did us far more good than harm.

A Petersen-style rebuild may take longer than some Dawgs wish, but I'm going out on a limb and saying that "Petersen fired by email on his way to dry out in rehab, now suing university" is a headline that is about as likely as "Will Muschamp wins national title at South Carolina."
I understand your point, jkk, but I'm not clear how much UW knew and didn't tell USC abut Sark. He clearly has a problem and I hope he can stay both aware of it (not think he has it beat and it's OK to drink 2-3 beers/night) and get all the help he needs as long as he needs. UW obviously has no responsibility about the firing, but how much did the average player, fan or even player know?

I'm not much of a Shark fan but will admit when I heard he was fired I wondered if he was still eligible for his USC health insurance. Rehab isn't cheap, even for college coaches. I hope he'll take this opportunity to make the changes needed to be happy and sober.

MSR

Old 12-07-2015, 11:27 PM

6,564 posts, read 12,300,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
I understand your point, jkk, but I'm not clear how much UW knew and didn't tell USC abut Sark. He clearly has a problem and I hope he can stay both aware of it (not think he has it beat and it's OK to drink 2-3 beers/night) and get all the help he needs as long as he needs. UW obviously has no responsibility about the firing, but how much did the average player, fan or even player know?
Since SC hired Sark away rather suddenly, I'm not sure how much opportunity UW would have had to say anything before the ink dried. In any case, it'd be up to SC to do its own homework on him prior to luring him away from us. Not faulting them for doing so, just mentioning that it limits our moral responsibility in the matter of informing them in advance. If MSR Inc. has a star sales rep, and their competitor JKK Ltd. hires him away rather suddenly, and JKK's sales manager (whose bright idea this was) soon finds out that the rep puts most of his pay up his nose, a complaint from JKK to MSR management would likely be met with: "Hey, you wanted him bad enough to lure him. Wasn't our idea." It'd be different, of course, if Sark had been an ex-UW employee and SC had wanted to hire him.

The answer to your question about how much people knew probably varies with one's distance from Montlake. As far away as Tri-Cities, there were at least vague rumors that Sark took a drink. He drank at places like the Ram, near campus, so a lot of locals had to see him on a few drinking nights. I think players knew more, but there's kind of a cone of silence around a lot of locker rooms. I don't think it was a secret among those close to the program, but I'm pretty sure very few people envisioned how far into the bottle he'd truly gone. I also think that the pressure at SC is greater than UW, and that his problem got worse as a result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
I'm not much of a Shark fan but will admit when I heard he was fired I wondered if he was still eligible for his USC health insurance. Rehab isn't cheap, even for college coaches. I hope he'll take this opportunity to make the changes needed to be happy and sober.
Well, considering how much money we and SC paid him, he should be okay affording whatever rehab and health insurance he wants. But I join you in hoping that he kicks it, realizes that he's one of the people who cannot touch the stuff at all, and rehabs his career once he rehabs his health and personal life to whatever degree he can.

At least, for about eight different reasons, we can safely assume he's not in the mix at his I-A alma mater.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:57 AM

51,862 posts, read 41,758,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
I have a feeling this isn't going to go well for him.
Is there any chance that he might damage the program further with testimony?

That can really be an incentive to settle even if the core suit isn't very meritorious.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:29 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,413,133 times
Don't take responsibility for your own actions whatever you do! That is the American way.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:06 AM

15,755 posts, read 14,989,976 times
USC described former football coach Steve Sarkisian's lawsuit against the school as "full of half truths" and "outright falsehoods" in a filing in Los Angeles Superior Court.
USC says Steve Sarkisian's suit is 'full of half truths' and 'outright falsehoods' - LA Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football