Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Notre Dame & Syracuse to be part of the Big Ten Conference?
YES 2 16.67%
NO 10 83.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 03:10 PM

246 posts, read 230,567 times

Advertisements

Do you think Notre Dame & Syracuse should be part of the Big Ten Conference?

If yes then here is the Big Ten Conference list:

Penn State
Ohio State
Michigan State
Michigan
Purdue
Indiana
Northwestern
Illinois
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Iowa
Nebraska
Syracuse
Notre Dame
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 03:58 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,393,373 times
I like that idea but I have to say no because you have already Maryland and Rutgers who joined last year. Quite frankly I'm getting sick of schools switching from one conference to another.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:46 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,601 times
notre dame will never give up their nbc contract for one. for another they already are part of the ACC with an awesome option on their end to only play a few ACC games a season in football and thus give up any chance at an ACC crown but keep their revenue stream going via NBC.

I would LOVE to see both in the Big Ten though because it would force both schools to reinstate their wrestling programs. The Big Ten powers will NOT allow schools to join unless they field wrestling. That was part of looking at schools when they did Rutgers and Maryland. Both schools had / have wrestling so it was easy.

Old 12-11-2015, 02:20 PM

75 posts, read 57,869 times
I think it would be great for the conference and the teams. I would like to see it aligned like this.

East

Michigan
Michigan State
Wisconsin
Penn State
Syracuse
Rutgers
Maryland
Indiana

West
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Iowa
Nebraska
Northwestern
Purdue
Minnesota
Illinois

Old 12-11-2015, 02:33 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent23 View Post
I think it would be great for the conference and the teams. I would like to see it aligned like this.

East

Michigan
Michigan State
Wisconsin
Penn State
Syracuse
Rutgers
Maryland
Indiana

West
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Iowa
Nebraska
Northwestern
Purdue
Minnesota
Illinois
16 would be a bad idea. It's bad enough they already have 14. In football, teams from each division would only play each other once every four years (unless they met in the Big Ten title game). In basketball, apart from 3 teams, you would only play every team once.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:56 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,992 times
In addition to the size of the campuses, the athletic budgets of, say, Ohio State and Michigan are waaaaaaay out of Syracuse's league! This comes from a Cuse alum. The ACC is the right fit, although it's taking a bit of time to get the football right! (LOL!)

....and didn't the ND trustees vote NO to the Big Ten 20 years or so ago?

Old 12-12-2015, 06:56 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Has there ever been a school that so divorced itself from its region as the current football program at Notre Dame?

With its 5 required ACC games and its desire to play one game in California every year (thus keeping both USC and Stanford on the schedule annually), Notre Dame has virtually removed itself from its location in the heart of the midwest. Where once Michigan, MSU, and Purdue were regular opponents, only Purdue remains.

Does ND see itself as an east coast school? One could make a compelling argument that it does. At some point, I would think, ND's secession for its heartland location has to hurt the Irish. Wouldn't interest in ND be stronger in ND's largest fan base and a metro area upon which it fringes, Chicagoland, if those B10 schools (including occasionally Northwestern) were still on the schedule?

Old 12-12-2015, 09:11 PM

469 posts, read 576,986 times
Notre Dame should be in the BIG10, Syracuse should be in the ACC.

Honestly...some of the "conferences" are really jacked up though. There needs to be a realignment. Rutgers and Maryland shouldn't be in the BIG10, Texas A&M and Missouri shouldn't be in the Southeastern Conference, and West Virginia shouldn't be in the BIGXII, just off the top of my head, there is certainly more. West Virginia should be in the ACC or SEC IMO. The road games our kids have to travel to are brutal. The closest (Iowa State) road game is something like 1000 miles away.

Last edited by wvtraveler; 12-12-2015 at 09:22 PM..

Old 12-14-2015, 06:42 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
Let ND do what ND wants to do until ND become irrelevant.

Syracuse to B1G? No.

It's too bad conference realignment essentially killed football in the Northeast. BC has had little success in the ACC as it's a smaller school with no geographical rivalries, the same is now true for Syracuse and Pitt, although Pitt under Narduzzi is showing signs of regaining some relevancy. UConn got totally screwed. Rutgers is simply not going to be a power in the B1G.

Joe Paterno (and I'm not a fan, but have to give him credit here) had the right idea - a Northeastern football conference. Granted, the conference JoePa wanted would've greatly benefited Penn State more than any school, but it would've helped college football remain popular in the NE instead of ceding interest to hoops. A conference with PSU, Syracuse, BC, Rutgers, Pitt, WVU, UConn, Temple, Army and Navy as the charters would rejuvenate NE football, and would further help encourage programs like Buffalo and UMass to invest more in football. And before anyone claims the G5 schools mentioned here aren't deserving, take a look at what schools like Wake Forest offer the ACC... which is nothing.

IMO, sticking to the current P5/G5 alignment has essentially muted future interest in football in the NE, with possible exceptions of Rutgers and Pitt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football