U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 09:45 AM

28,312 posts, read 26,320,585 times

Advertisements

Clemson is getting the athletes Florida State and Miami would have gotten back in the 90s. So I'm not sure why people see this big mismatch between them and Alabama.

The SEC has been able to dominate for so long because of their speed. Urban Meyer flipped the script on them last year. He brought the SEC to OSU. It looks like Dabo Swinney has done the same thing at Clemson.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 01-02-2016 at 09:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 09:55 AM

2,322 posts, read 1,770,735 times
it`s ok .. only once in the last 5 or 6 years has a team been favored to beat bama . that was this year at georgia ,, we know how that turned out ..

Old 01-02-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Clemson has a fantastic QB good offensive/defensive lines and probably the best secondary in college football.

I still think Alabama will win, probably by a few touchdowns, but let's be real. Clemson is very good. But I think Bama will be able to run on them effectively.
If Clemson's secondary is really that good (I'm not a big college football fan so I really don't know), then they can stop the run by sending blitzers into the backfield. They actually did that against OU quite a few times and it paid dividends.

Run-first teams always rely on the big play action. So to me, it seems, the key is getting into the backfield early and often to force them into obvious passing situations. The better your corners, the more aggressive you can be with blitz packages.

I wonder if Alabama will use their backup QB. He'd provide more versatility against Clemson, which they will likely need.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 01-02-2016 at 10:29 AM..

Old 01-02-2016, 09:28 PM

2,801 posts, read 1,774,719 times
It will be interesting because what gives the Alabama defense trouble is a mobile QB which Clemson has. They had trouble stopping the Tennessee QB.On the other side though Clemson has not faced a defense this good the whole season. If Watson and Gallman can not run the ball Clemson will have a hard time scoring.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:35 PM

8,563 posts, read 8,903,136 times
Hate to say it but I have to root Clemson.....go big orange team!

Old 01-03-2016, 12:02 AM

3,817 posts, read 6,547,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Not really. Bama is just better; MSU looked fine dominating Ohio State a few weeks ago, and that was with the backup QB.
Exactly !

Old 01-03-2016, 09:29 AM

2,322 posts, read 1,770,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Hate to say it but I have to root Clemson.....go big orange team!
no problem ... somebody has to ...

Old 01-03-2016, 02:17 PM

529 posts, read 281,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
It will be interesting because what gives the Alabama defense trouble is a mobile QB which Clemson has. They had trouble stopping the Tennessee QB.On the other side though Clemson has not faced a defense this good the whole season. If Watson and Gallman can not run the ball Clemson will have a hard time scoring.
I think that last sentence nails it. Watson RAN all over Oklahoma, but his passing day was mediocre at best. What was he, like 15/30 or something? Bama can put a spy on him to negate his running ability, then force him to beat them with his arm. I don't think he will be able to do so.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltergulick View Post
I think that last sentence nails it. Watson RAN all over Oklahoma, but his passing day was mediocre at best. What was he, like 15/30 or something? Bama can put a spy on him to negate his running ability, then force him to beat them with his arm. I don't think he will be able to do so.
It's interesting how people don't even bother to talk about offense when it comes to Alabama.

If I were Clemson, I wouldn't even be worrying too much about what Deshaun Watson is or isn't going to do. Clemson can shut down Alabama's offense a lot easier than Alabama can shut down Clemson's. I don't see Alabama as the type of team that can come back from behind with a stunning aerial attack. So the key for them is to not get behind.

That would be my strategy anyway. I'd put more bodies in the box than Bama could block and see if Jake Coker could catch lightning twice. The big difference between Clemson and MSU, though, seems to be that Clemson's defense is better all around than MSU's, and especially its secondary.

I think Clemson is a better all around team than Alabama. That's just my opinion. And I fully recognize that a better rounded team won't necessarily win at the end of the day. But in my mind, it's no different from boxing where you have one fighter with one punch KO power and another fighter with a solid jab, good defense, can fight off his back foot, can fight in the pocket, etc. The second fighter has more tools in his box to get the job done.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:16 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,418,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Clemson is getting the athletes Florida State and Miami would have gotten back in the 90s.
Clemson is getting the difference makers that would have normally gone to UGA or SC... Not Florida State and Miami.

Just look at Watson and Gallman who are both from GA for UGA misses... And Lawson and Dodd as DL's who would have been at SC a few years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or