U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 10:03 PM

806 posts, read 659,307 times

Advertisements

Although Dabo Swinney did a masterful coaching job, I do think he made one critical mistake in the game. When Clemson scored the TD to go up by 19, instead of going for 2, he kicked the PAT instead. Anyone who watched Tenn vs FL will tell you what a huge mistake that was as Butch Jones did the same thing to go up by 20 instead of 21, only to see FL score 3 TDs in the 4th to win by 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 09:55 AM

28,304 posts, read 26,308,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
I've got to admit, I'm pretty disappointed in Oklahoma.. Clemson is an ACC team for crying out loud. I was on a flight so I missed the second half
What difference does that make? Florida State is an ACC team.

The South is the most talent rich football area of the country so we shouldn't be too surprised two Southern schools are competing for the national championship yet again.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:59 AM

28,304 posts, read 26,308,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Going to be a totally different game against Clemson. Now.. I don't say Clemson wins.. I think it could go either way.. But.. Do you really think that Clemson will be held to 29 yards rushing (Current Michigan State total)

Here's how Clemson wins.. They run the ball successfully with Watson and Gallman and wear out the Bama defense. By the 4th quarter.. Bama defense is exhausted. Clemson's defense shuts down Henry like they did Perine, puts the game on Coker's shoulders. Contain the youth of your team. No stupid plays/penalties giving Bama life.

Here's how Bama wins.. Take out Deshaun Watson. Period. They have to stop him running, they have to stop him passing. Utilize the age and experience of your team. They've been there before, make sure they realize that. oh, by the way.. Watson's backup, Kelly Bryant, isn't too shabby, either. Same mold as Watson, just doesn't have the experience.

What impressed me about Clemson was the defense.. Which has been exposed fairly badly in their last few games. A little rest seems to have done them quite well. The 300+ yards rushing.. Well.. Honestly, i've just come to expect that.. Maybe not THAT much, but.. I expect 100 yards from Watson and 100 yards from Gallman. The fact that they played shutout ball in the second half was very impressive. And without their best defensive player, too. Shaq Lawson was out most of the game.

I will call out the class move by Stoops by not burning their timeouts at the end of the game. It was over.. He could have called timeouts and made Clemson get a first down, or try to.. I thought that was the right thing that he did, being down by 20.

And, let's be honest here.. Not that woulda/coulda/shoulda matters.. But.. A missed FG and 2 drives that went for FGs that probably SHOULD have been TDs, a missed FG and the first half ending pick. This score doesn't really reflect how badly OU was beaten.
I think Alabama's defense is a little better than Clemson's. But Clemson's offense is way better than Alabama's offense. These SEC teams never seem to have dynamic offenses and rely largely on pounding away with their running attack. Alabama should have a tougher time shutting down Clemson's offense than vice versa.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:08 AM

3,220 posts, read 3,742,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What difference does that make? Florida State is an ACC team.
Exactly. FSU got stomped by Houston.. An AAC team.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:14 AM

19,990 posts, read 19,010,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acercode View Post
Although Dabo Swinney did a masterful coaching job, I do think he made one critical mistake in the game. When Clemson scored the TD to go up by 19, instead of going for 2, he kicked the PAT instead. Anyone who watched Tenn vs FL will tell you what a huge mistake that was as Butch Jones did the same thing to go up by 20 instead of 21, only to see FL score 3 TDs in the 4th to win by 1.
Why was this a critical mistake? Two-point conversions are used in situations when points are needed. They are not easy to convert on. Clemson had a good lead over Oklahoma. A field goal for the extra point is not that bad. I rather have that than a failed two-point conversion attempt.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:18 AM

19,990 posts, read 19,010,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think Alabama's defense is a little better than Clemson's. But Clemson's offense is way better than Alabama's offense. These SEC teams never seem to have dynamic offenses and rely largely on pounding away with their running attack. Alabama should have a tougher time shutting down Clemson's offense than vice versa.
Alabama's defense looked good because Michigan State's Connor Cook made bad decisions and executed bad plays on the field. Michigan State's defense did not cover the field well and did not stop drives.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:34 PM

9,701 posts, read 7,273,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Alabama's defense looked good because Michigan State's Connor Cook made bad decisions and executed bad plays on the field. Michigan State's defense did not cover the field well and did not stop drives.
Well, yeah, but much of that is because Alabama, especially their front 7, is really, really good.

Clemson is a better team than MSU, but I think Bama will win by a couple of touchdowns. Alabama will still have the dominant front 7, and will disrupt the Clemson running game. And Bama secondary has been fantastic in the second half of the season. They're super-young, but came on strong late. They're nothing like the dumpster fire secondary that got torched bad last year by OSU.

I think Bama on offense will be totally different than against MSU, though. Clemson has a much better secondary than MSU, but a worse front 7. I think Bama will feed Henry and Drake big-time.

Old 01-01-2016, 01:00 PM

806 posts, read 659,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Why was this a critical mistake? Two-point conversions are used in situations when points are needed. They are not easy to convert on. Clemson had a good lead over Oklahoma. A field goal for the extra point is not that bad. I rather have that than a failed two-point conversion attempt.
I just told you why. Tenn did the same thing and lost because they didn't go for two.You always go for 2 in the fourth in that situation because whether you fail the 2pt attempt or make the PAT, 3 TDs (& 3 PATs) will still beat you.

Old 01-01-2016, 01:30 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,176,937 times
It's going to take losing a generation or two of certain people before more teams get respect. Either that or boosters who can raise a Saban-like salary each year, which takes Alumni like Bart Starr and Joe Namath. Think about who has entered the NFL from various schools.

MSR

Old 01-01-2016, 02:50 PM

465 posts, read 298,304 times
Alabama crushes Clemson, 52-17.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or