U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 09:18 AM

447 posts, read 476,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Uhhh yeah we beat them right ? We earned it and it wasn't a cake walk against that team a champinship caliber team at that. They did what no other team was able to do and that was to keep Clemson from winning.

I can't think of any QB that is as talented and accurate as Watson this past season. So yeah they came as advertused.
Yes, Bama earned the win. The difference in the game was the magnificent onside kick call from Saban that created an extra second half possession and resulted in a TD. That created the margin of victory. Bama's defense, which was advertised as having perhaps the best front seven ever in college football, met their match in Clemson's offense. A great game between two great teams.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:30 AM

11,787 posts, read 13,428,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zumaboy View Post
"As advertised"? Watson was personally responsible for about 500 yards of offense and Clemson kept scoring until time ran out...
I see, so the last garbage time touchdown while Alabama was in prevent and getting ready to dump Gatorade on Saban matters as much to you as the rest of the game.

Alabama won the game, full stop. No conditions or asterisks.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:48 AM

28,352 posts, read 26,378,758 times
I feel like the post-game narrative is completely different from the pre-game narrative. The pre-game narrative was that Alabama had the greatest defense in college football history, their front 7 was full of "monsters," Clemson came from a weak conference and didn't stand a chance against a SEC powerhouse, they hadn't "seen nuttin like Bama," Clemson had no idea the whipping they were gonna get, etc...

Old 01-15-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwamjn View Post
But you said Alabama's defense was as advertised, and it got shredded. Credit to whomever called that onside kick, that one them a national championship.
They only gave up 550 yards of total offense and 31 first downs. It could have been worse. A lesser program like Virginia would have given up 800 yards of offense to the Tigers for sure.

Alabama vs. Clemson - Team Statistics - January 11, 2016 - ESPN

Old 01-15-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I see, so the last garbage time touchdown while Alabama was in prevent and getting ready to dump Gatorade on Saban matters as much to you as the rest of the game.
Clemson was actually winning most of the game. They were winning the game going into the 4th Quarter.

The onside kick was the momentum changer. Saban even said they wouldn't have won without the onside kick because he had little confidence his defense could stop Clemson from scoring.

Quote:
"I made the decision to do it because the score was 21-21 and we were tired on defense and weren't doing a great job of getting them stopped, and I felt like if we didn't do something or take a chance to change the momentum of the game that we wouldn't have a chance to win.”
Nick Saban: Bama 'wouldn't have a chance to win' without the onside kick | News OK

And that's exactly why I said Clemson would win a best of 5 against Alabama. Here you've got Nick Saban saying his defense, allegedly the best he's ever had and perhaps the best in CFB history (they are 3 deep at every LB, DE and DT position, mind you) was "tired" and they "wouldn't have a chance to win" without an onside kick, and yet people on here are saying Alabama would win 5 times out of 5.

Okay...

Alabama's defense didn't have a "bad game" as some have suggested. It's one thing to say a QB had an off night, but an entire defensive front 7 with a 21 man rotation? I would agree they had a "bad game," but that was because they were being worn out and not because they weren't inspired or not playing up to their potential.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:

Alabama won the game, full stop. No conditions or asterisks.
"Garbage time", lol. Now that's an asterisk. I have, in several posts, congratulated Bama for winning a great game, complimented them on a great seven-year run, called them a great team, praised Saban's coaching decision in calling the onside kick, etc. I think that Bama having to earn this national championship in a very closely matched and competitive game against Clemson would make it even more special to their fans. But maybe that's just me...

Old 01-15-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Clemson was actually winning most of the game. They were winning the game going into the 4th Quarter.
No they weren't it was back and forth. It was tied 24 all when they did the onside.
Quote:
The onside kick was the momentum changer. Saban even said they wouldn't have won without the onside kick because he had little confidence his defense could stop Clemson from scoring.
Yep. It was looking like one of those games where the team who has the ball last wins. Saban did not think Alabama could win one of those types of contests. The onside and then holding Clemson to a field goal and Drake's return allowed Alabama to go up 38-27 the largest margin over clemson's best 7 points and they held that lead (but not the margin) the rest of the game. See above. You have a revisionist way of remembering things.

Quote:
And that's exactly why I said Clemson would win a best of 5 against Alabama. Here you've got Nick Saban saying his defense, allegedly the best he's ever had and perhaps the best in CFB history (they are 3 deep at every LB, DE and DT position, mind you) was "tired" and they "wouldn't have a chance to win" without an onside kick, and yet people on here are saying Alabama would win 5 times out of 5.

Okay...

Alabama's defense didn't have a "bad game" as some have suggested. It's one thing to say a QB had an off night, but an entire defensive front 7 with a 21 man rotation? I would agree they had a "bad game," but that was because they were being worn out and not because they weren't inspired or not playing up to their potential.
That's one opinion. I love threads like this where other fans get to tell Alabama fans what "really happened" and how they should think.

Last edited by Tourian; 01-15-2016 at 10:32 AM..

Old 01-15-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
No they weren't it was back and forth. It was tied 24 all when they did the onside.
I said they were winning going into the 4th Quarter. That's an easily proved fact.

The score was 24-21 at the end of the 3rd Quarter. That's what I call "winning."

Quote:
Yep. It was looking like one of those games where the team who has the ball last wins. Saban did not think Alabama could win one of those types of contests. The onside and then holding Clemson to a field goal and Drake's return allowed Alabama to go up 38-27 the largest margin over clemson's best 7 points and they held that lead (but not the margin) the rest of the game. See above. You have a revisionist way of remembering things.
Your location says Alabama, no? And I'm the one who's biased here? My preference would have been for both schools to lose with their extremely racist, ugly histories. But that has nothing to do with the game.

I didn't see it as "one of those games where the team who has the ball last wins." Apparently, Nick Saban didn't see it that way either since he pretty clearly stated that Alabama's defense wasn't stopping Clemson's offense. I mean, do you disagree with what the man said?

My point was that you can't say that Alabama would win more times than not when their head coach flat out admits that they wouldn't have a chance to win without an onside kick (because their vaunted defense was exhausted). Anyone who thinks that is more of an Alabama fan than an actual fan of the game.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
My preference would have been for both schools to lose with their extremely racist, ugly histories.
Really, you're going to go there? smdh

Old 01-15-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I said they were winning going into the 4th Quarter. That's an easily proved fact.

The score was 24-21 at the end of the 3rd Quarter. That's what I call "winning."
You know good and well I was responding to your comment that Clemson was winning most of the game. Then you start talking about the onside. It was a fact that it was tied when they did that. The fact that they were winning going into the fourth means nothing. Nice backtrack. You were definitely trying to paint the picture that Clemson was leading most of the time with Bama barely hanging on by their fingernails and the onside was a desperate act that allowed them to steal the game away from the much better team. That's your whole narrative in a nutshell and it is bunk.

Quote:
Your location says Alabama, no? And I'm the one who's biased here? My preference would have been for both schools to lose with their extremely racist, ugly histories. But that has nothing to do with the game.
With this BS, I'm done talking to you.

Last edited by Tourian; 01-15-2016 at 11:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football