U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 07:25 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,955,638 times

Advertisements

Why are there so many Michigan fans living in Manhattan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 07:58 PM

3,179 posts, read 4,645,035 times
Whoever did the "research" must have been a Texas Longhorn fan.

They've got Texas as either the 2nd or 3rd pick all across South Dakota and Minnesota.

I don't know a single Texas fan in all of Sioux Falls and the area. Nebraska, Iowa Hawkeyes, Minnesota Gophers, and even Wisconsin, Iowa State, and Kansas fans are easy to find. The map's got some major flaws. The one "out of the region" team around here that still has lots of fans is Notre Dame.

Basically, that's it.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:34 AM

8,255 posts, read 2,443,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Whoever did the "research" must have been a Texas Longhorn fan.

They've got Texas as either the 2nd or 3rd pick all across South Dakota and Minnesota.

I don't know a single Texas fan in all of Sioux Falls and the area. Nebraska, Iowa Hawkeyes, Minnesota Gophers, and even Wisconsin, Iowa State, and Kansas fans are easy to find. The map's got some major flaws. The one "out of the region" team around here that still has lots of fans is Notre Dame.

Basically, that's it.

Look at New England. The Florida Gators are in the top 3 with a consistent 6-8% of the vote everywhere except Connecticut. Looks like the same kind of thing as what you identified with Texas. There's some weird stuff going on with the map.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:54 AM

3,179 posts, read 4,645,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Look at New England. The Florida Gators are in the top 3 with a consistent 6-8% of the vote everywhere except Connecticut. Looks like the same kind of thing as what you identified with Texas. There's some weird stuff going on with the map.

The map creators must have relatives spread out that relocated from Texas to SD and Florida to New England. I bet you could spend a whole day researching your area and not find a single Gators fan.

With all the snow birds nowadays I can see allegiances to northern universities in places like Florida and Arizona. In NFL football the Minnesota Vikings played the Arizona Cardinals and there was purple jerseys all over the stands. Dedicated snowbirds.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:03 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,130,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
The map creators must have relatives spread out that relocated from Texas to SD and Florida to New England. I bet you could spend a whole day researching your area and not find a single Gators fan.

With all the snow birds nowadays I can see allegiances to northern universities in places like Florida and Arizona. In NFL football the Minnesota Vikings played the Arizona Cardinals and there was purple jerseys all over the stands. Dedicated snowbirds.
Snowbirds are very dedicated to their places of origin, including the teams from those areas. Even if/when they uproot and transplant themselves in places like Arizona or Florida, they remain fiercely loyal to their previous teams. Dedicated? To a fault.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:45 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,163,759 times
I like that map. I think its informative and pretty accurate, although I did not go to each state. I was surprised at Alabama, I thought Auburn would have a lot more fans. I live in PA, Penn State and Notre Dame are the two most popular teams, nothing new there its been that way as long as I can remember. Same with New England NYC areas. College football just isn't very big up there, its NFL, NBA, hockey, and college basketball that dominate up that way. Thanks for posting OP

Old 03-04-2016, 11:36 PM

447 posts, read 473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
Very accurate for South Carolina. Clemson is a very niche program. Isolated geographically to the upstate of SC. Clemson like Wake Forest is not even a statewide brand let alone a regional or national brand. Thus your comparatively lower ratings for this year's final four playoffs compared to last years when you had schools with national followings.

But don't tell the Clemson faithful any of this. Clemson's faithful believe that anything beyond the upstate of SC is the wastelands.
Ignore all opinions from Buckeye fans concerning Clemson, they are still butthurt from that Orange Bowl loss a few years ago (not to mention what happened to Woody Hayes years ago...). ;-)

Old 03-18-2016, 08:09 AM

1,261 posts, read 1,771,808 times
I am always leery of these kinda maps. There are probably tons of demos that are under represented. Namely older fans and those who be poorer and may not be as linked up with tech.

The supposed small number of Auburn fans in Alabama strikes me as odd. And DEFINETELY the same for Clemson vs Carolina. Then again, you must consider population density. A lot of those seas of orange or blue or what have you do not account for a high number of people numerically.

Old 03-20-2016, 12:42 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,955,638 times
Zumaboy,

Having lived in the upstate for 12 years I could've said A LOT worse about Clemson fans ;-)

Although winning a national title does ease some pain

Old 03-20-2016, 09:09 PM

7,234 posts, read 8,242,680 times
Pretty inaccurate for the Charlotte NC area. Lot of Big Ten fans here, lot of SEC fans here too. I see way more USC/Clemson car accessories in the fall here than I do UNC/State/Duke/WF.

Raleigh has a pretty big Big Ten prescense as well. Lot of Buckeye fans in particular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or