Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 07:13 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,372,907 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...8.731,-84.375f

I found an interesting map of college football fans by zip code for the entire USA. How accurate does it look for your area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 03:56 PM

5,543 posts, read 9,457,595 times
Looks pretty accurate for Oklahoma. There might be a little more bleed over into Arkansas and North Texas as Oklahoma has typically been the most successful football program in the Southwest historically.

Also, in regards to Texas, UT, Oklahoma, and A&M own the Dallas market. Texas Christian has a contingent in Fort Worth, but there's still a ton of UT, OU, and A&M fans there too, not to mention Tech & Baylor and even Oklahoma State.

Old 01-26-2016, 04:06 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,581,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...8.731,-84.375f

I found an interesting map of college football fans by zip code for the entire USA. How accurate does it look for your area?
First of all, as a lifelong Arizonan, I don't receive ANYTHING which comes out of the New York Times...

Just as I refuse to eat ANY salsa which was made in New York City.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:05 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,542,461 times
New York City!?!?!

Old 01-27-2016, 07:08 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,581,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
New York City!?!?!
Git a ROPE!

Old 01-27-2016, 07:11 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,636,910 times
interesting... fairly accurate for Atlanta and surrounding areas..

Old 01-27-2016, 07:16 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,372,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Looks pretty accurate for Oklahoma. There might be a little more bleed over into Arkansas and North Texas as Oklahoma has typically been the most successful football program in the Southwest historically.

Also, in regards to Texas, UT, Oklahoma, and A&M own the Dallas market. Texas Christian has a contingent in Fort Worth, but there's still a ton of UT, OU, and A&M fans there too, not to mention Tech & Baylor and even Oklahoma State.
If you click in and zoom on the map it shows all teams with +1% fans by zip code. It's not all or nothing, most zip codes have multiple teams that show up. There methodology is Facebook likes, which is not scientific but is fairly reliable.

I live in the Louisville KY / IN metro area and am from rural KY. I was surprised that their map has the percent of IU fans at only sub 5% across most of Southern Indiana until you're almost in Bloomington. Based on license plates, car stickers, and people wearing team apparel I'd guess it's almost even between IU, Louisville, and Kentucky, roughly 1/3 each. There's a scattering of Purdue fans too. The tv ratings for an average college basketball here on an apples to apples comparison has a share of 20% U of L, 17% UK, 3% IU, <1% Purdue. The ratio of IU to KY schools is 1 to 7, much greater than the share of population of the Indiana side of the market, which is more like 1 to 4.

I think it highlights the one flaw of the methodology: some people wear the fandom "on their sleeves" more than other people. The Kentucky schools have fans that make sure their profile and cover pic on facebook includes their team logo, their cars are covered in stickers, and insulting their team is like insulting their momma. IU and Purdue fans are more School first, Sports second. Also many people living on the Indiana side of the metro are from Kentucky and move for cheaper houses and cheaper car insurance.

The Kentucky side mostly matched my expectations: UK dominates but their is a scattering of U of L across the state that's at least 5% in every zip code. There's an arc of more U of L (but still majority UK) fanning out down I-65 to the TN line. I always perceived U of L as having "islands of fans" in the bigger towns in Western KY while the countryside remained mostly UK but the map didn't show that.

I was surprised how much UK spilled over into Southern Illinois and Southern Indiana. I thought UK fans would thin out once you got out of the Louisville tv market but the map shows UK is a majority is mostly places south of I-74 and east of I-65 and in large chunks east of Evansville.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:10 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,542,461 times
Seems pretty accurate for North Alabama/Southern Tennessee.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:48 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,956,650 times
Sounds about right for Wake Forest, which doesn't even come close to leading in its own zip code. How is this school part of a P5 conference?

Old 01-28-2016, 03:15 PM

12,893 posts, read 13,217,652 times
Wonder what happened to A&M's bragging about "we run this state"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football