U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 04:38 PM

7,592 posts, read 4,018,066 times

Advertisements

i don't think Alabmaa-Auburn is any bigger than any other state rivalry, it just gets hyped more b/c they are SEC teams and generally competitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 09:29 AM

6,564 posts, read 12,317,382 times
I find it unsurprising that Washington/Oregon isn't on the list. It's the most hateful rivalry no one knows about outside the Pacific Northwest, and always gets left off. I actually wish some of its participants would tone it back a bit, because vandalism in neighborhoods and abuse of visiting fans is uncool anywhere, any time, by any one (and very shaming when one's own co-fans do it). Duck fans quite often hate the Huskies more than they hate the Beavs, and many Husky fans will root for WSU to beat Oregon. A lot of us would root for the University of Pyongyang Fightin' Dictators to beat Oregon.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:40 PM

this is about in state rivalries.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:30 PM

6,564 posts, read 12,317,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
this is about in state rivalries.
Whups. Missed that, sorry.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:14 PM

11,787 posts, read 13,377,889 times
Quote:
i don't think Alabmaa-Auburn is any bigger than any other state rivalry, it just gets hyped more b/c they are SEC teams and generally competitive.
That's a rather passive aggressive and dismissive way to shrug off national recognition and relevance.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
That's a rather passive aggressive and dismissive way to shrug off national recognition and relevance.
or you are a homer for your in state rivalry. Most people outside of Alabama don't see that rivalry as any bigger than other state rivalries. It is not a game that I go out of my way to watch.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:42 PM

8,394 posts, read 8,385,907 times
Quote:
or you are a homer for your in state rivalry. Most people outside of Alabama don't see that rivalry as any bigger than other state rivalries. It is not a game that I go out of my way to watch.
Yep. It's recognized as a big rivalry, but most everyone pays more attention to their own state (or region).

Old 05-18-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
That's the point. I can be a homer or not - doesn't matter, the point is when the Iron Bowl is played it gets national attention and high ratings. That can't be denied. Some people care when the Beavers and the Ducks play, maybe a bunch, but it doesn't get hyped up or get the attention that the Iron Bowl does. It doesn't get those high TV ratings either.

So your statement of "Most people outside of Alabama don't see..." is irrelevant. You can replace Alabama with ANY rivalry if that's all you care about.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:35 PM

actually if bama and auburn is between two unranked teams, or one is ranked and the other is having a bad season, it doesn't get good ratings. The games that get good ratings are in prime time at night and generally both teams are ranked. There are usually not a lot of other good games b/t ranked opponents on tv during these prime time games.

ESPN and other sports vehicles overhyping the alabam-auburn game doesn't reflect on rest of country. ESPN is out of touch with rest of country on a lot of stuff.

your casual football fan wants to see games b/t ranked teams, state rivalries don't mean anything if the teams aren't both ranked and/or it is has no playoff implications.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
actually if bama and auburn is between two unranked teams, or one is ranked and the other is having a bad season, it doesn't get good ratings. The games that get good ratings are in prime time at night and generally both teams are ranked. There are usually not a lot of other good games b/t ranked opponents on tv during these prime time games.

ESPN and other sports vehicles overhyping the alabam-auburn game doesn't reflect on rest of country. ESPN is out of touch with rest of country on a lot of stuff.

your casual football fan wants to see games b/t ranked teams, state rivalries don't mean anything if the teams aren't both ranked and/or it is has no playoff implications.
Ifs and buts don't matter. The bottom line is the Iron Bowl has had major playoff/Championship implications for the past several years which has pushed it to the front. We are talking about the here and now, not contrived situations twisted to prove a biased opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football