Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 05:24 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times

Advertisements

Can you come up with your own best ten list from the following battle between in-state public universities:

Penn St vs. Pitt
UVA vs. VT
UNC vs. NC St
S. Car vs. Clemson
UGA vs. GT
UF vs. FSU
Bama vs. Auburn
Ole Miss vs. Miss St
Tennessee vs. Memphis
UK vs. Louisville
IU vs. Purdue
U-M vs. MSU
Iowa vs. Ia St
Kansas vs. K-St
OU vs. OK St
UT vs. A&M
UNM vs. NM St
CU vs. Colo St
Utah vs. Utah St
Arizona vs. ASU
Nevada vs. UNLV
Cal vs. UCLA
Oregon vs. Ore St
Washington vs. Wash St
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 09:33 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Can you come up with your own best ten list from the following battle between in-state public universities:

Penn St vs. Pitt (6)
UVA vs. VT
UNC vs. NC St
S. Car vs. Clemson (9)
UGA vs. GT (8)
UF vs. FSU (2)
Bama vs. Auburn (1) Stands Alone on top if you're talking IN state rivalries
Ole Miss vs. Miss St
Tennessee vs. Memphis
UK vs. Louisville - If this was basketball, different story.
IU vs. Purdue
U-M vs. MSU (3)
Iowa vs. Ia St (10)
Kansas vs. K-St
OU vs. OK St (5)
UT vs. A&M (4)
UNM vs. NM St
CU vs. Colo St
Utah vs. Utah St
Arizona vs. ASU
Nevada vs. UNLV
Cal vs. UCLA
Oregon vs. Ore St
Washington vs. Wash St

I'm adding one:

USC vs. UCLA (7)

If you didn't limit it to in-state rivalries #3 would be Ohio State vs. Michigan

Old 04-14-2016, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I'm adding one:

USC vs. UCLA (7)

If you didn't limit it to in-state rivalries #3 would be Ohio State vs. Michigan
USC is a private university.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:55 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
I agree with most of jmgg's rankings except I'd move Michigan-Michigan State above UF-FSU for the moment. And historically it was Miami that caused FSU's ire. I might also move OU-OSU in front of the Florida match up as well.

I went to Clemson but Clemson-USC really is not a great rivalry. We beat them handily forever then Spurrier's defense & a throw happy Clemson quarterback made for a 5 year USC run. But truth be told FSU is the big game for Clemson. And older fans still view UGA as the biggest rivalry.

When we lost the National Championship game- the Bama fans leaving the stadium were telling our fans they hoped we played Auburn that hard at the start of the season. Interrupting you National Title celebration to wish ill on your instate rival is a pretty big statement.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I agree with most of jmgg's rankings except I'd move Michigan-Michigan State above UF-FSU for the moment. And historically it was Miami that caused FSU's ire. I might also move OU-OSU in front of the Florida match up as well.

I went to Clemson but Clemson-USC really is not a great rivalry. We beat them handily forever then Spurrier's defense & a throw happy Clemson quarterback made for a 5 year USC run. But truth be told FSU is the big game for Clemson. And older fans still view UGA as the biggest rivalry.

When we lost the National Championship game- the Bama fans leaving the stadium were telling our fans they hoped we played Auburn that hard at the start of the season. Interrupting you National Title celebration to wish ill on your instate rival is a pretty big statement.

Way up here in South Dakota you can't be any farther removed from the deep south. Even here you'll find deep hatred by followers of either Auburn or Alabama against the other university. I normally don't care about either team, but I don't miss the televised game when they play each other.

I could not imagine what it's like within the state of Alabama between fans. Even considering professional sports you'd have to compare an England vs. Ireland or India vs. Pakistan soccer match to find two groups of followers that hate each other as much.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
USC is a private university.

Oops. I missed the "public" part.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Oops. I missed the "public" part.

and without it, we definitely could have put Cal-Stanford in that same lofty category as you put UCLA-USC. both the Bay Area and LA rivalries are, IMHO, among the best in college sports

Old 04-14-2016, 02:28 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
1. Bama vs auburns is by far the biggest in state rivalry in college football. None of the others even come close except maybe the Egg Bowl. It is most likely the biggest rivalry in all of college football, in state or otherwise except maybe Michigan and OSU.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:35 AM

44 posts, read 52,610 times
Maybe I'm biased because I live in Alabama, but Auburn vs. Alabama (known as the Iron Bowl) has to be the biggest college football rivalry in the nation (I'll still give OSU/Michigan a nod). Two of the most bitter rivals in the country are separated by 156 miles, and things get really heated in my state come football season. People fight, families disown their members for "rooting for the other team," trees get poisoned, people get cussed, and there's an automatic prejudice when one sees a fan of the other team. It's the constant name calling of "Barners" and "Bammers" and one fanbase trying to constantly bring down another's. It's a multi-million dollar, dirty as mud industry that is second to Sunday worship. Still, despite all of this, when the going gets rough (such as the tornado outbreak of 2011) we are all there to support each other.
It's absolutely crazy and the source of many jokes, but I wouldn't trade living in it for anything It's exhilarating, surprising, and the most fun anyone could have on a Saturday!

On another note: even though it isn't an in-state rivalry, Auburn vs. Georgia is known as "The Deep South's Oldest Rivalry" and is worthy of mention. First game was played in 1892 and Georgia currently leads it by a one-game difference. Definitely less intense than the Iron Bowl and a great game to go tailgate with your friends and fellow opponents War Eagle!

Old 04-16-2016, 09:57 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
There is no rivalry between UT and A&M since the farmers ran off to the SEC several years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football