Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 02:14 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,561,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Good.

As for the rest you missed the point.

College football is a business and in general, when businesses struggle or experience turmoil the leader(s)/manager are scrutinized.

As a Fighting Baptist fan you may find it unjust that Briles is under the microscope for something he did not do, but he is the leader of the football team, and often, leaders receive punishment for the people/players/workers under their leadership. I've been in leadership positions for years and there are many times I do not feel responsible for the failings of the workers under me, but guess who gets the grief from the guys above me?....I do, because I'm the manager who is leading those under me. It's an age-old principle.

You may not think it's spinning out of control but multiple rapes confirmed has peaked the interest and ire of the outside world. And perphaps Briles has not known anything while all this happened around the football players which is really a tacit indictment in and of itself. Clearly, he and the other coaches should have done some more homework on these guys who had a history of assault (guy from Boise St. and Oakman who is easily one of the biggest punk kids in college football). Elliot should be put down or locked up forever; he's an animal.

Again, what I think should happen to Briles/AD I'm sure is a pipe dream. They deserve to be shown the door. But Baylor has tasted big-time college football success and that alone is enough to keep Baylor administration drawing paychecks for year to come. It's not anywhere near consistent with Baylor's "Baptist" heritage.

On that front, the theological one that is, we Okie Baptists and many Baptists in Tejas (SBTC) forsook all of Baylor long ago as a theologically liberal school anyway. Perhaps the school's recent lack of discipline is a consequence of that downgraded theology?
Not sure how I "missed the point".. But ok.

Lol, there was no incident reported with the Boise guy before transferring, so I'm not sure what "homework" the coaches could of done. I guess it could be argued that Oakman "assaulted" the cashier that he took his card back from. But that's hardly an indication of him potentially committing the crime he's now accused of (He's not even a Baylor player anymore, but apparently Briles should still be punished? Lol.. Gotta love the logic of rivals). Not sure what else makes him the "biggest punk in college football" though.

Do you think Briles/AD should be "shown the door" because of a few off the field actions of some football players over the past few years, or because they've brought Baylor success in football, which a lot of people have a hard time accepting? If Briles was shown the door he would be picked up somewhere else in a heartbeat. He was the 3rd highest paid coach in 2014.

Whats wrong with "liberal theology"? Like I said.. Not everyone that goes to Baylor are Baptists.. Heck, some students are even atheist. Maybe Baylor should have a "Baptist requirement" in order to attend, to appease the conservative baptists? Heh..

Old 05-06-2016, 02:33 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Not sure how I "missed the point".. But ok.

Lol, there was no incident reported with the Boise guy before transferring, so I'm not sure what "homework" the coaches could of done. I guess it could be argued that Oakman "assaulted" the cashier that he took his card back from. But that's hardly an indication of him potentially committing the crime he's now accused of (He's not even a Baylor player anymore, but apparently Briles should still be punished? Lol.. Gotta love the logic of rivals). Not sure what else makes him the "biggest punk in college football" though.

Do you think Briles/AD should be "shown the door" because of a few off the field actions of some football players over the past few years, or because they've brought Baylor success in football, which a lot of people have a hard time accepting? If Briles was shown the door he would be picked up somewhere else in a heartbeat. He was the 3rd highest paid coach in 2014.

Whats wrong with "liberal theology"? Like I said.. Not everyone that goes to Baylor are Baptists.. Heck, some students are even atheist. Maybe Baylor should have a "Baptist requirement" in order to attend, to appease the conservative baptists? Heh..
The irony in the bold is remarkable. Perhaps more alarming is that you don't see the discrepancy.

Perhaps professional writing will get through: The silence of Ken Starr

The article from the Dallas Morning News summarizes quite well the hypocrisy in Starr's involvement, or better, the lack thereof, in the present allegations.

Also, OU is not a rival of Baylor. All serious discussions aside (allegations against Baylor), but sorry, you're nowhere near OU's level and tradition. Baylor has had a very nice run and I respect that, but the Sooners already have an age-old rival in Tejas, The Steers.

Who is Baylor's rival?.....Texas Christian? Perhaps you could get JJG to come to your defense.

Old 05-07-2016, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
The irony in the bold is remarkable. Perhaps more alarming is that you don't see the discrepancy.

Perhaps professional writing will get through: The silence of Ken Starr

The article from the Dallas Morning News summarizes quite well the hypocrisy in Starr's involvement, or better, the lack thereof, in the present allegations.

Also, OU is not a rival of Baylor. All serious discussions aside (allegations against Baylor), but sorry, you're nowhere near OU's level and tradition. Baylor has had a very nice run and I respect that, but the Sooners already have an age-old rival in Tejas, The Steers.

Who is Baylor's rival?.....Texas Christian? Perhaps you could get JJG to come to your defense.
What discrepancy?

Did you seriously just link a Dallas Morning News opinion post as "professional writing"..? The people who continue to copy/paste the same last paragraphs into every article trying to slander Baylor?

I didn't mean OU was a "historical" rival. Only a rival in the sense that we face each other in conference play. Of course Baylor isn't at OUs "level and tradition". If Baylor was, these accusations wouldn't be nearly as big in the media.

Yeah I would say TCU is a bigger rivalry. But anyone in conference play is a rival as far as most people are concerned. Not sure why a TCU fan would "come to Baylors defense" though?

Old 05-18-2016, 08:15 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,386,286 times
Waco police records reveal additional violence allegations against Baylor football players

Wow.

At this point, I think both Starr and Briles need to get canned. This is a real case of institutional cover-up. Back to Baylor being a joke...depending on what they decide to do with Briles and Starr.

And this site now exists: http://isartbrilesfiredyet.com/

Old 05-18-2016, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger099 View Post
Waco police records reveal additional violence allegations against Baylor football players

Wow.

At this point, I think both Starr and Briles need to get canned. This is a real case of institutional cover-up. Back to Baylor being a joke...depending on what they decide to do with Briles and Starr.

And this site now exists: Is Art Briles Fired Yet?
Yes Sir!

People in leadership at many universities have been fired for far less.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2...sexual-assault

Old 05-19-2016, 01:27 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
Must be something to this after all. Baylor had some really horrible incidents with their basketball and baseball athletes in the early 2000's. You would think they would have tightened up athletics, but I guess that's not the case. They have clearly outpaced UT from the Mack Brown era in terms of serious crimes committed by student athletes.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/baylor-...205313955.html

Old 05-19-2016, 04:41 AM

Lol, still dragging this out.. Why anyone would think Art Briles should be fired is idiotic. Ken Starr? Sure.. The academic administration has seemed to of made some questionable decisions. But the only reason I can see that anyone would want Briles gone is so they don't have to worry about the team they support potentially losing to Baylor anymore. Pretty weak.

Lulz at that Is Briles fired yet parody site repeatedly claiming that Briles is somehow a liar.

It's ridiculous how Baylor is being held to a higher standard for actions that happen in universities all over the country. Not sure if that is because of the religious affiliation, or the fact that Baylor is in an awkward middle stage in its rise to football success.. not quite to the untouchable blue blood level that gets away with anything (UT, OU, to keep the "topic" Big 12 related), but no longer a doormat that doesn't matter enough for people to care about what happens there. Interesting (not really) ESPN keeps ragging on about it, given their vested interest into UT/the Longhorn network.

What people in leadership at universities have been fired for far less?

Outpaced UT from the Mack Brown era? How do you figure that?

Old 05-19-2016, 07:38 AM

2,141 posts, read 1,386,286 times
College coaches join the call for answers as Baylor allegations keep growing | FOX Sports

It's all unraveling in Waco now. The castle they've had up for the past 3 seasons is starting to crumble.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Lol, still dragging this out.. Why anyone would think Art Briles should be fired is idiotic. Ken Starr? Sure.. The academic administration has seemed to of made some questionable decisions. But the only reason I can see that anyone would want Briles gone is so they don't have to worry about the team they support potentially losing to Baylor anymore. Pretty weak.

Lulz at that Is Briles fired yet parody site repeatedly claiming that Briles is somehow a liar.

It's ridiculous how Baylor is being held to a higher standard for actions that happen in universities all over the country. Not sure if that is because of the religious affiliation, or the fact that Baylor is in an awkward middle stage in its rise to football success.. not quite to the untouchable blue blood level that gets away with anything (UT, OU, to keep the "topic" Big 12 related), but no longer a doormat that doesn't matter enough for people to care about what happens there. Interesting (not really) ESPN keeps ragging on about it, given their vested interest into UT/the Longhorn network.

What people in leadership at universities have been fired for far less?

Outpaced UT from the Mack Brown era? How do you figure that?
You must be a child (or the most myopic person in Waco, wherever) if you still think this is about football. Football is meaningless in comparison to the crimes committed.

The question is will the Baylor Brass step up and impose some self-sanctions? I'm guessing not or they would have already taken strong action to stop the abuse. Pitiful.

Corruption in Baylor?s football program is no longer a mistake | NCAA Football | Sporting News

Old 05-19-2016, 11:43 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,109,824 times
I wondered how Baylor went from dormat to top 10- now I know! It won't be easy to get rid of Briles- many fans want to win at all costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football