U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2016, 03:06 PM

5,853 posts, read 6,524,415 times

Advertisements

Which universities can break the rules in the name game are allowed to be listed by their preferred names? There is a standard way that universities are listed in the media, but some schools do get a pass on it.

If that is unclear, let me explain....

Penn State...Pennsylvania State is never used
LSU....this alone of the schools named _____ State University is always known by its initials
Ole Miss....Mississippi is not the accepted name for the school

In comparison....unlike Ole Miss, schools that informally call themselves Cal, Mizzou, K-State, and Bama are still California, Missouri, Kansas State,and Alabama officially (and respectively).

Only LSU is always used.....there is no official ASU, FSU, MSU, etc.

Private schools with three initials are allowed to go by those now (wasn't always the case)....as in SMU, TCU, and BYU.

Unless I'm mistaken, the only school of the University of ______ @ ______ variety that is always allowed to go by its initials is UCLA. You will never see California-Los Angeles (or UC Los Angeles) while Nevada-Las Vegas and Alabama-Birmingham are still sometimes used.

Am I right about the above observations? What other schools are also allowed to bend the rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 03:12 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,120,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Which universities can break the rules in the name game are allowed to be listed by their preferred names? There is a standard way that universities are listed in the media, but some schools do get a pass on it.

If that is unclear, let me explain....

Penn State...Pennsylvania State is never used
LSU....this alone of the schools named _____ State University is always known by its initials
Ole Miss....Mississippi is not the accepted name for the school

In comparison....unlike Ole Miss, schools that informally call themselves Cal, Mizzou, K-State, and Bama are still California, Missouri, Kansas State,and Alabama officially (and respectively).

Only LSU is always used.....there is no official ASU, FSU, MSU, etc.

Private schools with three initials are allowed to go by those now (wasn't always the case)....as in SMU, TCU, and BYU.

Unless I'm mistaken, the only school of the University of ______ @ ______ variety that is always allowed to go by its initials is UCLA. You will never see California-Los Angeles (or UC Los Angeles) while Nevada-Las Vegas and Alabama-Birmingham are still sometimes used.

Am I right about the above observations? What other schools are also allowed to bend the rules.
I'm not aware of any hard-fast rule here. Can you provide a link which will verify this "rule"?

Old 05-25-2016, 04:25 PM

5,853 posts, read 6,524,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
I'm not aware of any hard-fast rule here. Can you provide a link which will verify this "rule"?
mainly going on how the print and electronic media list them.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:45 AM

8,370 posts, read 8,363,445 times
Well, Texas A$M fans always refer to the University of Texas as "tu". lol

Old 06-01-2016, 09:34 AM

5,093 posts, read 6,856,581 times
"Pitt" is used over University of Pittsburgh.

"UMass" is used over University of Massachusetts.

"USF" is often used over University of South Florida, although I've also seen and heard "South Florida". I suppose the same could be said for "UCF"

Although commentators rarely say "WVU" it is used in articles and scores scrolls on ESPN to shorten West Virginia up.

Old 06-01-2016, 04:23 PM

500 posts, read 381,469 times
Those in Texas call University of Texas, UT
Texas A&M, TAMU can be used or just "A&M"
Texas Tech is almost always called "Tech"

For The University of Alabama Birmingham, UAB is very common, never heard anyone call it "Alabama-Birmingham"

I've heard SMU and TCU used for years.

Same for FSU for Florida State and UF for the University of Florida.

Old 06-01-2016, 04:44 PM

2,533 posts, read 1,823,367 times
No rule, just convention. But while we are on the subject, Ohio State University is commonly referred to as OSU even though there are other 'OSU's' and Oklahoma is very commonly referred to by print and broadcast media as OU.

Oh Yeah-----
Boomer!
Roll Tide!
Hook 'em!
War Eagle!
and so on........

Old 06-01-2016, 04:55 PM

5,655 posts, read 5,698,183 times
Connecticut is rarely used. It's almost always UConn in media mentions. Even on the unis.

And up and comer New Jersey Institute of Technology is rarely mentioned by name. It's simply NJIT.

I think that's true to some degree with most tech schools like RPI and CMU. Even Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech are significantly shortened from their "official" names.

Old 06-13-2016, 05:03 AM

1,578 posts, read 981,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Virginia Tech..
Yeah, once upon a time Virginia Tech was routinely referred to as VPI (Virginia Polytechnic Institute, which is part of it's official name), but that's rarely used anymore, & never in the sports realm.

Staying in Virginia, I'd say UVa is kind of unique titling. You don't see University of Illinois, University of Washington, University of Michigan referred to as UIl, UWa, UMi, etc.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:35 AM

984 posts, read 1,192,839 times
Miami is just called The U.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or