U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-06-2016, 10:15 PM
 
4,669 posts, read 6,137,979 times
Reputation: 5840

Advertisements

I didn't read most of that ^.. But if Oklahoma has a couple more embarrassing loses, who will Houston have beat to be thought of as one 4 best teams in the country?

If Oklahoma wins out or has some impressive wins, and if Houston spanks Louisville, then Houston probably gets in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-07-2016, 12:05 AM
 
578 posts, read 332,740 times
Reputation: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I didn't read most of that ^.. But if Oklahoma has a couple more embarrassing loses, who will Houston have beat to be thought of as one 4 best teams in the country?

If Oklahoma wins out or has some impressive wins, and if Houston spanks Louisville, then Houston probably gets in.
houston has a LONG way to be considered in the top 4

I mean look at these teams that are favored to be in the top
bama
lsu
gators
clemson
stanford
fsu
msu
michigan
ole miss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2016, 06:02 AM
 
2,848 posts, read 1,793,308 times
Reputation: 1257
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyronejacobs0 View Post
houston has a LONG way to be considered in the top 4

I mean look at these teams that are favored to be in the top
bama
lsu
gators
clemson
stanford
fsu
msu
michigan
ole miss
Well at least half of those teams listed will have two loses and a few will have 3+.

The perception is changing quickly when you dismantle FSU in a bowl game and then last season playoff rep Oklahoma. Just look at the pools this week. People are noticing.

Houston needs to take care of its business.
And not worry about a few things...1. The SEC champ is getting in. 2. The Clemson/FSU winner likely getting in. 3. Big Ten looks legit and I'd say Ohio St is getting in - harbaugh and co. Aren't there yet.

That leaves the Pac12 a conference that so far doesn't look like it's shaping up well but very capable of beating each other up. And the Big12 who I have to still give Okla the nod to come out on top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2016, 07:07 AM
 
Location: Georgia
3,838 posts, read 1,429,483 times
Reputation: 2891
Way too early, but here goes: Alabama; Florida St; Ohio State; and Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2016, 07:10 AM
 
Location: Georgia
3,838 posts, read 1,429,483 times
Reputation: 2891
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyronejacobs0 View Post
houston has a LONG way to be considered in the top 4

I mean look at these teams that are favored to be in the top
bama
lsu
gators
clemson
stanford
fsu
msu
michigan
ole miss
If Houston wins out, they will probably be one of 2 or 3 unbeatens- if not the only one. Wins over Oklahoma and Louisville help, and beating Memphis, Navy and Cincinnati don't hurt. IF they win out, they do not need "help" from others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2016, 02:41 AM
 
Location: The Bayou City
3,220 posts, read 3,750,037 times
Reputation: 1457
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Michigan and Georgia get incredible advantages over UH just by virtue of being in a "Power 5" conference. Heck the big 12 pays out about 30 mil a year to each it's members whereas the AAC pays out about 3 mil. I'd bet the payout is even larger in the SEC and Big 10. Then there are the P5 bowl games that pay 10X what the G5 bowl games pay, the incredible media exposure for the P5, and then we have the restrictive rules for accessibility to the New Years Bowl games. Finally UH has to compete with 4 other conferences in addition to the AAC whereas Michigan and Georgia are pretty much guaranteed a visit to Atlanta or New Orleans or whatever as long as they are undefeated. There's more, but I'll stop there. Look what winless, hapless Baylor was able to do after years of stockpiling that BCS/P5 money. And to top it off, they were able to back up a Brinks truck to Art Briles house in 2007 and rub it in UH's face (metaphorically speaking).

So no, a one loss Michigan or Georgia is not necessarily more deserving when the cards are immensely stacked in the first place.
What does BCS/conference revenue have to do with success? It certainly doesn't hurt, but to credit programs success to the fact that they make more money in conference revenue seems a bit naive. How many power 5 programs are out there that consistently have abysmal football teams? Conference revenue is a small fraction of the money thats earned from/invested in most big time football programs. Unfortunately, a one loss Michigan or Georgia IS more deserving than Houston.. look at the teams they have to play vs UHs "competition" in the AAC. Hopefully Houston can get into a P5 conference soon so they will be on a more even playing field.. They've shown that they can perform at a P5 level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Well at least half of those teams listed will have two loses and a few will have 3+.

The perception is changing quickly when you dismantle FSU in a bowl game and then last season playoff rep Oklahoma. Just look at the pools this week. People are noticing.

Houston needs to take care of its business.
And not worry about a few things...1. The SEC champ is getting in. 2. The Clemson/FSU winner likely getting in. 3. Big Ten looks legit and I'd say Ohio St is getting in - harbaugh and co. Aren't there yet.

That leaves the Pac12 a conference that so far doesn't look like it's shaping up well but very capable of beating each other up. And the Big12 who I have to still give Okla the nod to come out on top.
Not to take away anything from UH's fantastic performance last weekend, but if it wasn't already obvious after the semi finals, OU clearly shouldn't of been in the playoffs last year. They lucked out with their schedule by playing a number of teams at a time when those teams didn't have their starting quarterbacks/major role players.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2016, 10:45 AM
 
2,848 posts, read 1,793,308 times
Reputation: 1257
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
What does BCS/conference revenue have to do with success? It certainly doesn't hurt, but to credit programs success to the fact that they make more money in conference revenue seems a bit naive. How many power 5 programs are out there that consistently have abysmal football teams? Conference revenue is a small fraction of the money thats earned from/invested in most big time football programs. Unfortunately, a one loss Michigan or Georgia IS more deserving than Houston.. look at the teams they have to play vs UHs "competition" in the AAC. Hopefully Houston can get into a P5 conference soon so they will be on a more even playing field.. They've shown that they can perform at a P5 level.



Not to take away anything from UH's fantastic performance last weekend, but if it wasn't already obvious after the semi finals, OU clearly shouldn't of been in the playoffs last year. They lucked out with their schedule by playing a number of teams at a time when those teams didn't have their starting quarterbacks/major role players.
OU was a good team. MSU was a good team. I wouldn't have deemed either a "playoff team" last year.

Have to look at UHs wins gain at FSU which I thought was the most inpressive performance of 2016 and they return the core of that team and more importantly the offensive guru Tom Herman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2016, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
8,415 posts, read 8,427,583 times
Reputation: 7054
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
What does BCS/conference revenue have to do with success? It certainly doesn't hurt, but to credit programs success to the fact that they make more money in conference revenue seems a bit naive. How many power 5 programs are out there that consistently have abysmal football teams? Conference revenue is a small fraction of the money thats earned from/invested in most big time football programs. Unfortunately, a one loss Michigan or Georgia IS more deserving than Houston.. look at the teams they have to play vs UHs "competition" in the AAC. Hopefully Houston can get into a P5 conference soon so they will be on a more even playing field.. They've shown that they can perform at a P5 level.



Not to take away anything from UH's fantastic performance last weekend, but if it wasn't already obvious after the semi finals, OU clearly shouldn't of been in the playoffs last year. They lucked out with their schedule by playing a number of teams at a time when those teams didn't have their starting quarterbacks/major role players.
Agreed - their lone loss was to one of the worst Texas teams in school history with the worst defense. They were overrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2016, 08:38 AM
 
Location: League City
3,394 posts, read 6,627,309 times
Reputation: 4008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I didn't read most of that ^.. But if Oklahoma has a couple more embarrassing loses, who will Houston have beat to be thought of as one 4 best teams in the country?

If Oklahoma wins out or has some impressive wins, and if Houston spanks Louisville, then Houston probably gets in.
It's all verifiable fact. The numbers may be slightly off, but the proportions are not. G5 schools are at a decided disadvantage, and the system (from BCS days) is designed to keep it that way. UH can only play by these rules. Some people say UH doesn't deserve to be in the playoffs if they somehow pull a miracle and win out. Then how the heck is any G5 supposed to ever make the playoffs if they can only do so much with their schedule?

Last edited by DanielWayne; 09-10-2016 at 08:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2016, 11:43 AM
 
4,669 posts, read 6,137,979 times
Reputation: 5840
Idk the answer and Houston will do all they can. And they were smart to schedule a team like Oklahoma. But beating a team like OK and winning out doesn't make them one of the 4 best teams in the country.

I bleed black and gold. But the hawkeyes didn't deserve to be anywhere near the playoffs last year due to less talent and soft schedule. Even if they had beat MSU in the B10 champ game, they wouldn't have been one of the best 4 teams in the country.

Houston not getting in is why they'll eventually go to an 8 team playoff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top