U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2016, 12:08 PM

2,836 posts, read 1,775,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Oh yeah, Bama has had some terrible years to be sure, and some not too long ago.

But the last decade or so may be the most dominant run in history. I think if they win another title (and who would bet against at least one more under Saban) they're, without question, on the greatest run ever. And it's even more impressive in that they're doing it in an era of parity, when there are longer seasons, more teams, and more opportunities to lose.

They're in serious contention for the NC, every single year, and usually to the very end (and if they lose, it's often extremely close or crazy stuff like the Kick 6 game in 2013).

Even the other great teams, the Ohio States and Florida States, are up and down a bit. Florida State was unranked a few years ago, Ohio State finished 6-7 just a few years ago. Bama, while flawed, and beatable, is almost always at or near the top.
OSU not really a good program for your example.

OSU was 6-7 one year going through a last minute coaching transition and player suspension that greatly impacted that season.

Aside from that, last 10 years. Nine seasons with more than 10 wins- 8 of those over 11 wins. 4 BCS Bowl game wins, three national title appearances and one national title.

What's more amazing 8 of 10 the last 10 seasons OSU has gone to what I consider a major bowl game/national title. One year they had a bowl ban and in the other they made a Gator Bowl appearance.

If you back to 2000. You can add another national title to the resume and two more BCS bowl game victories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 01:16 PM

4,315 posts, read 2,520,569 times
a question..........when a team goes for it on 4th and 1 or 4th and inches.........why does the QB remain in the shotgun and call a straight running play ?

My favorite college team did that twice in a game I attended last year and never made it back to the line of scrimmage.

Old 09-19-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
a question..........when a team goes for it on 4th and 1 or 4th and inches.........why does the QB remain in the shotgun and call a straight running play ?

My favorite college team did that twice in a game I attended last year and never made it back to the line of scrimmage.
I don't agree either. The only advantage you give the QB or RB the opportunity to find a crease and get yardage. But typically those situations you have the defense filling gaps so you need a little push and something that is quick to the line like a sneak under center or a dive play with a back that isn't 5+ yards off the LOS. Coordinators get too cute IMO

Old 09-19-2016, 02:07 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,122,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I don't agree either. The only advantage you give the QB or RB the opportunity to find a crease and get yardage. But typically those situations you have the defense filling gaps so you need a little push and something that is quick to the line like a sneak under center or a dive play with a back that isn't 5+ yards off the LOS. Coordinators get too cute IMO
Shotgun formation is not the best on short yardage.

You need a guy like Sam BAM Cunningham digging in back there, or you need a good-sized O-line plus an equally good QB "sneak". It's ALL muscle, and ALL super entertaining football. Stop us if you can, or don't!

Old 09-20-2016, 12:08 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,018,191 times
Here's Meltdown for this week.

NSFW: It

Old 09-21-2016, 07:57 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,018,191 times
All right. Time for Week 4 picks. 23 games this week.

Clemson vs. Georgia Tech
TCU vs. SMU
USC vs. Utah
Wisconsin vs. Michigan State
Iowa vs. Rutgers
Florida State vs. USF
Georgia vs. Ole Miss
East Carolina vs. Virginia Tech
Wake Forest vs. Indiana
Penn State vs. Michigan
Pittsburgh vs. North Carolina
Florida vs. Tennessee
BYU vs. West Virginia
Boise State vs. Oregon State
Vanderbilt vs. Western Kentucky
Colorado vs. Oregon
LSU vs. Auburn
Oklahoma State vs. Baylor
Nebraska vs. Northwestern
Stanford vs. UCLA
Arkansas vs. Texas A&M
Cal vs. Arizona State
Washington vs. Arizona

Pick Overall Record: 32-19
Pick Record Last Week: 13-6

Here are my picks.
Clemson vs. Georgia Tech (Clemson has not won at Bobby Dodd since 2003. This year, however, will be the end of that drought.)
TCU vs. SMU (Right now, it looks like the only way SMU will be good again is if they start paying players again.)
USC vs. Utah (USC is becoming a dumpster fire.)
Wisconsin vs. Michigan State (Questionable QB play, Smash-mouth power running and classic corn-fed Midwestern defense will all combine to make this the most B1G game ever.)
Iowa vs. Rutgers (Rutgers sucks.)
Florida State vs. USF (After being vaporized by Louisville last week, 'Noles will rebound.)
Georgia vs. Ole Miss (I know that Ole Miss has choked two 21+ point leads away, but Georgia does not look real good.)
East Carolina vs. Virginia Tech (ECU is the ACC's kryptonite. Look at their record against ACC teams the past 6-8 years.)
Wake Forest vs. Indiana (This is a toss-up game.)
Penn State vs. Michigan (It might be time for Franklin to go at Penn State.)
Pittsburgh vs. North Carolina (Another game that was difficult for me to decide.)
Florida vs. Tennessee (I know Luke Del Rio is out for this game, but Tennessee has not shown me in any way that they will snap the streak. Maybe Tennessee is having a year where they're playing to the level of their competition, but as of right now, it looks like Florida's streak will continue.)
BYU vs. West Virginia (Mormons will win a close one.)
Boise State vs. Oregon State (Oregon State is in complete rebuilding mode without Riley.)
Vanderbilt vs. Western Kentucky (I'll take the Hilltoppers in a close one.)
Colorado vs. Oregon (I'm going to go with Colorado at Autzen. This is not the Ducks team of years' past.)
LSU vs. Auburn (The Gus Bus has crashed into the river. Even with a Top 25 defense, they're still losing games. Just like Vandy and Boston College last year.)
Oklahoma State vs. Baylor (I don't think Baylor is as good as everyone thinks they are.)
Nebraska vs. Northwestern (Northwestern has downgraded a lot from last year.)
Stanford vs. UCLA (Stanford in a two score game. David Shaw owns the rest of California.)
Arkansas vs. Texas A&M (I think this time, A&M's collapse will begin early this season. Arkansas finally gets over the OT loss hump that they've failed to get over the last two seasons.)
Cal vs. Arizona State (After lighting it up against Texas' defense (although Buechele did get injured), Davis Webb and Cal will light up another bad defense.)
Washington vs. Arizona (This is a trap game for Washington. They'll win, but it'll be close.)

Old 09-21-2016, 10:12 AM

Clemson vs. Georgia Tech Clemson will get it going but I think they barely cover this week.
TCU vs. SMU TCU defense finally shows up.
USC vs. Utah New QB same result.
Wisconsin vs. Michigan State Mich. St wins ugly at home.
Iowa vs. Rutgers Iowa bounces back
Florida State vs. USF Florida St. Bounces back
Georgia vs. Ole Miss Georgia 10 straight over Ole Miss pulls it off; Ole Miss has to be feeling it three tough ones in 4 weeks.
East Carolina vs. Virginia Tech Don't like either of these teams.
Wake Forest vs. Indiana IU to line up and wear out Wake
Penn State vs. Michigan This is close game. UM gets a late TD to win.
Pittsburgh vs. North Carolina Upset.
Florida vs. Tennessee Florida owns Tenn. but they are banged up and must win at Home for Tenn.
BYU vs. West Virginia Tough road trip for BYU.
Boise State vs. Oregon State Don't know enough either way.
Vanderbilt vs. Western Kentucky Vandy is bad.
Colorado vs. Oregon I think Colorado can play a little D, but they have no offense or special teams.
LSU vs. Auburn The Underachiever Bowl.
Oklahoma State vs. Baylor I think Okie St. is going to get it going and this is where the wheels fall off for Baylor.
Nebraska vs. Northwestern Upset.Northwestern gets owned by the MAC and then pulls off a stunner. Type of games Fitzgerald wins.
Stanford vs. UCLA Stanford is gonna have a lot 20-10 24-14 type games put the wins will keep piling up.
Arkansas vs. Texas A&M A&M with the crowd and Ark. coming back down to Earth.
Cal vs. Arizona State Had no idea here.
Washington vs. Arizona Experienced Washington team until they lose.

Overall: 22-12
Last week:13-6

Old 09-21-2016, 03:39 PM

12,446 posts, read 10,897,061 times
Well, Clemson finally made it on your list.
BTW - I think Auburn is going to surprise LSU.

Old 09-21-2016, 03:46 PM

12,446 posts, read 10,897,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Clemson vs. Georgia Tech Clemson will get it going but I think they barely cover this week...
They barely covered the first two weeks, but I think their gears meshed in the last game.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:39 PM

6,536 posts, read 4,489,472 times
Last week: 12-7
Overall: 30-18

Clemson vs. Georgia Tech. I'll take the upset at home. It's a Thursday night game on ESPN, those are always dangerous (even Cincinnati had it close there before they fell apart in the 4th). Also, remember the lone ACC game Georgia Tech won last year?? The blocked field goal on the final play returned for a touchdown to beat FSU. Yup, that was at home too.
TCU vs. SMU. The only "rivalry" in this lopsided series is whether SMU can keep it within 30 points. With TCU's defense I say yes.
USC vs. Utah. USC is a disaster.
Wisconsin vs. Michigan State. Sparty takes the momentum from the ND win last week into Spartan stadium and Big 10 play and pulls out the win.
Iowa vs. Rutgers. For all the useless and unnecessary bowl games there are, how about we add 2 extra's for the 3 worst BCS teams in football. Kansas (the worst) gets a bye, so in 1 bowl game we have Rutgers taking on Kentucky and than in the other bowl game we have Kansas facing the loser of Rutgers/Kentucky to find out once and for all who's the ultimate loser. C'mon I can't be the only one who would like to see that! Who are other candidates to replace Kentucky: Iowa State, Colorado, any others?? Virginia??
Florida State vs. USF. I'd hate to be the team that has to play FSU the week after the Louisville disaster
Georgia vs. Ole Miss. I have not been impressed at all by Ole Miss. They had a 24 (21??) point lead on Florida state and blew it, and than last week at home went up 24-3 and actually trailed by more than 2 touchdowns at 1 point in the 4th quarter.
East Carolina vs. Virginia Tech. I'll take a gamble on ECU 2 weeks in a row. ECU does better against ACC teams and Virginia Tech isn't nearly as good as South Carolina is.
Wake Forest vs. Indiana. I guess you could add these 2 teams into the "losers" tournament above. At least Indiana has actually been semi competitive in the last few years while Wake already has a road win this year.
Penn State vs. Michigan. They got the win over Temple, but Franklin's seat is probably as hot as lava. He'll have a couple chances to douse the lava: here, Ohio State & Michigan State. Even if they only win one of them it could probably buy him some time.
Pittsburgh vs. North Carolina. I'm still on the UNC bandwagon, and yes I still think they can beat FSU later next month.
Florida vs. Tennessee. If Tennessee can't beat them this year, when will they actually beat them??
BYU vs. West Virginia. Should be a fun game, and once again I'll pick BYU because it seems like whether I pick them or pick against them the opposite usually happens.
Boise State vs. Oregon State. Oregon State is terrible.
Vanderbilt vs. Western Kentucky. WKU may have the most funniest mascot in college, that thing is awesome.
Colorado vs. Oregon. Does Oregon carry a kicker on it's roster?? If they do, why keep attempting 2 point conversions?? You can get by with the first one maybe catch them napping, but if you run it 3 or 4 straight times it isn't a surprise and start taking the PAT
LSU vs. Auburn. LSU's another team that has really disappointed me this year.
Oklahoma State vs. Baylor. First to 60 wins?? Will any team even bother with defense??
Nebraska vs. Northwestern. Northwestern will win in the classroom, but unfortunately Nebraska wins on the field.
Stanford vs. UCLA. Really, really exciting game. I'll take the defense of Stanford to come up with a key stop, or to get a key turnover late.
Arkansas vs. Texas A&M. At first I thought this was @ A&M in which case I would've picked the Aggies, but looking at the schedule I see it's a Jerry's World which makes this a pick em and I'm more confident in Arkansas. A&M is just as likely to $#!t the bed than they are at winning by 20 points.
Cal vs. Arizona State. Another defense optional game. Last team with the ball likely wins since neither team can stop anyone, so I'm going to pray AZ State winds up with the ball last.
Washington vs. Arizona. A couple things going for the Cats: This will be the first good team U Dub has played this year, U Dub won 49-3 last year so you've got the revenge factor and also in play is that Washington has a short week coming up with a Friday night game against top 10 Stanford, so I see this being within a touchdown heading into the 4th quarter, but the talent of the Huskies pulls them away down the stretch.

Fun week of games again. Outside of maybe 1 or 2 not confident in the others and I'll take a 11-12 week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or