U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 11:09 AM

4,315 posts, read 2,524,483 times

Advertisements

pre-season polls are worthless.

About all they tell us is how the teams finished the season before.

Seems no "expert" brings out his pre-season poll at the end of the season to show us how great his picks were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 06:19 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,018,902 times
Final Score: North Dakota State 24, Charleston Southern 17 (OT)

Got my pick wrong on this, but came close.

And now we have just 4 more days of offseason left.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:38 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,126,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
pre-season polls are worthless.

About all they tell us is how the teams finished the season before.

Seems no "expert" brings out his pre-season poll at the end of the season to show us how great his picks were.
Pretty much true.

These so-called experts have no clue what's going to happen next season, so they rely on what happened last year. All these dudes at ESPN, SI, etc all have the same coffee breaks together; they go to lunch together; they golf together -- so they all agree with each other all the time, and we receive the same-old, same-old.

We forecast much better here at C-D!

Old 08-29-2016, 07:55 PM

4,888 posts, read 3,975,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Pretty much true.

These so-called experts have no clue what's going to happen next season, so they rely on what happened last year. All these dudes at ESPN, SI, etc all have the same coffee breaks together; they go to lunch together; they golf together -- so they all agree with each other all the time, and we receive the same-old, same-old.

We forecast much better here at C-D!
We do We really do

Thing is, I heard the lame excuse that the poll is about "Who is good now" not "who should be the national champion in 8 weeks"....

I have yet to see accurate picks of who will finish first and the order of finish, although putting SEC teams in the mix will increase the odds of getting it correct. I guess

Old 08-30-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
We do We really do

Thing is, I heard the lame excuse that the poll is about "Who is good now" not "who should be the national champion in 8 weeks"....

I have yet to see accurate picks of who will finish first and the order of finish, although putting SEC teams in the mix will increase the odds of getting it correct. I guess
Ain't that the truth!

Old 08-31-2016, 11:52 AM

All right. Now it's time for Week 1 picks. Here are the games below.

South Carolina vs. Vanderbilt
Oregon State vs. Minnesota
Kansas State vs. Stanford
Georgia Tech vs. Boston College
Missouri vs. West Virginia
Oklahoma vs. Houston
Rutgers vs. Washington
UCLA vs. Texas A&M
LSU vs. Wisconsin
Louisiana Tech vs. Arkansas
Georgia vs. North Carolina
Southern Miss vs. Kentucky
USC vs. Alabama
Clemson vs. Auburn
Notre Dame vs. Texas
Ole Miss vs. Florida State

Here are my picks.
South Carolina vs. Vanderbilt (I personally think South Carolina hits rock bottom this year, then goes up from there.)
Oregon State vs. Minnesota (Tracy should do well in his debut.)
Kansas State vs. Stanford (Stanford is much more talented than K-State. I think Snyder's out of magic as well.)
Georgia Tech vs. Boston College (After a 3-9 season last year, Georgia Tech should get the season off well with a win over Boston College. If they don't improve this year, then there ain't no telling how much longer PJ'll still be there.)
Missouri vs. West Virginia (Let's say it now. Holgorsen sucks as a coach. But i do not see him losing to a Missouri team that got caught up in the BLM bulls**t last year.)
Oklahoma vs. Houston (Oklahoma has a lot of talent. Baker Mayfield and Samaje Perine are badasses that know how to play. And also, OU needs to prevent Houston from forcing fumbles or picks. That helped Houston last year.)
Rutgers vs. Washington (Pretty easy matchup for Washington.)
UCLA vs. Texas A&M (This is the part of the season where A&M wins their first game against a ranked opponent, get up in the rankings, get their fans hyped up, then proceed to take a warm diarrhea all over that hype.)
LSU vs. Wisconsin (Fournette's too strong. while Wisconsin could possibly slow down LSU some, it ain't gonna be enough.)
Louisiana Tech vs. Arkansas (Despite how much Arkansas loses from last year, i expect they will win easily.)
Georgia vs. North Carolina (I really don't think North Carolina is ready to handle the threat of Nick Chubb and company.)
Southern Miss vs. Kentucky (5-7 might end up being the best Stoops will be able to do at Kentucky. They might end up having to go coach shopping after this season ends.)
USC vs. Alabama (Do i think USC could potentially come back to relevance? Yes. But not instantly against Alabama. That streak of winning 17-18 openers is about to end.)
Clemson vs. Auburn (Tigers vs. Tigers. Clemson will be the better tiger, as Auburn has many question marks, one of them being the decision to hire Kevin Steele. At defensive coordinator. Yeah, like that'll work out.)
Notre Dame vs. Texas (See the Big XII discussion thread for my thoughts on this game.)
Ole Miss vs. Florida State (If Deondre Francois is as good as they say he is, and Dalvin Cook proves himself, FSU will be able to punch their ticket into the playoff.)

Old 08-31-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
The sun is finally setting on the offseason
You've got that right, Shoe Man!

Old 09-01-2016, 11:25 AM

8,548 posts, read 8,881,299 times
Oklahoma vs. Houston
Rutgers vs. Washington
UCLA vs. Texas A&M
LSU vs. Wisconsin
USC vs. Alabama
Clemson vs. Auburn
Notre Dame vs. Texas

Upsets galore!

Old 09-01-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Oklahoma vs. Houston
Rutgers vs. Washington
UCLA vs. Texas A&M
LSU vs. Wisconsin
USC vs. Alabama
Clemson vs. Auburn
Notre Dame vs. Texas

Upsets galore!
Someone loves chaos.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:02 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,853,124 times
Some pretty tasty games for week one.

South Carolina
vs. Vanderbilt
Oklahoma vs. Houston
Rutgers vs. Washington
UCLA vs. Texas A&M
LSU vs. Wisconsin
USC vs. Alabama
Clemson vs. Auburn
Notre Dame vs. Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or