U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2016, 09:01 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,017,683 times

Advertisements

All right. Time for Week 10 picks. Because MACtion has started, we will most likely be doing these on Tuesday from now on, but you never know. Anyway, here are the games.

(8) Western Michigan vs. Ball State
Toledo vs. Akron
UCLA vs. (21) Colorado
Temple vs. Connecticut
Notre Dame vs. Navy
(9) Wisconsin vs. Northwestern
Texas vs. Texas Tech
Air Force vs. Army
Indiana vs. Rutgers
Michigan State vs. Illinois
Pittsburgh vs. Miami
Georgia Tech vs. (16) North Carolina
Virginia vs. Wake Forest
BYU vs. Cincinnati
(19) Virginia Tech vs. Duke
(7) Florida vs. Arkansas
TCU vs. (15) Baylor
(18) Oklahoma State vs. Kansas State
Memphis vs. SMU
Missouri vs. South Carolina
Oregon vs. USC
(25) Florida State vs. NC State
Georgia vs. Kentucky
Iowa vs. Penn State
(11) Nebraska vs. (5) Ohio State
(1) Alabama vs. (14) LSU
(2) Washington vs. Cal

Pick Overall Record: 116-76
Pick Overall Last Week: 14-8

Here are my picks.
Western Michigan vs. Ball State (Row the boat.)
Toledo vs. Akron (Toledo's been playing decent ball this season.)
UCLA vs. Colorado (This season has been a big disappointment for UCLA. And Colorado is better than they have been in a while.)
Temple vs. Connecticut (I'll take Temple on the road after UConn's performace against ECU.)
Notre Dame vs. Navy (Notre Dame beat a rebuilding Miami team that is only now starting to reveal the damage after Golden left. I'll take Navy in this one, as Navy has beaten better teams than Miami right now, even though they're mostly G5 wins.)
Wisconsin vs. Northwestern (Ain't it been some time since Wisconsin has beaten Northwestern on the road? Either way, i think they'll escape Northwestern in a close one.)
Texas vs. Texas Tech (Both teams are bi-polar as hell. We can play like the world depends on us against teams like Notre Dame and Baylor, Tech is all offense and no defense, and then we have trouble with teams like Cal and K-State, and when they have a defense, the offense doesn't know what the hell to do. So this is a tough one to pick.)
Air Force vs. Army (Air Force is not good on the road, from what i've seen of them.)
Indiana vs. Rutgers (For those of you wondering how Rutgers almost beat Minnesota, they changed QBs and their offense clicked much better with Giovanni Rescigno as the helm. So i expect them to steal one at home against Indiana. Now, if they could clean up their mistakes, they'd have beaten Iowa, Illinois and Minnesota.)
Michigan State vs. Illinois (This is a tossup.)
Pittsburgh vs. Miami (Miami is just cracked now.)
Georgia Tech vs. North Carolina (Another hard one to pick. I'll take UNC in a close one.)
Virginia vs. Wake Forest (After seeing their performance against Louisville, i'll take UVA on the road in Winston-Salem.)
BYU vs. Cincinnati (Bye bye, Tubbs.)
Virginia Tech vs. Duke (Duke ain't as good as they've been this year.)
Florida vs. Arkansas (It'd be nice to see Kentucky win the East. I don't see it happening, though. I think Florida will win this one and beat South Carolina, and then LSU will decide if they're going 11-1, 10-2, or 9-3.)
TCU vs. Baylor (Poor Fort Worth Froggies.)
Oklahoma State vs. Kansas State (Oklahoma State is just now starting to click.)
Memphis vs. SMU (SMU had trouble with...Tulane on the road, after beating Houston. Memphis gave up 59 to Tulsa. Tough one to pick, but i'm going with Memphis after SMU's last performance.)
Missouri vs. South Carolina (Missouri is just an absolute joke.)
Oregon vs. USC (While USC is looking good now, look at who they've beaten...)
Florida State vs. NC State (Dave Doeren's done at NC State.)
Georgia vs. Kentucky (Kirby ain't impressing in his first year at Georgia.)
Iowa vs. Penn State (I think James Franklin just saved his job.)
Nebraska vs. Ohio State (Both teams are good...But Ohio State's O-line sucks, and when you get pressure on JT Barrett, he's not very good. Surprisingly, i'll take Nebraska on the road in Columbus.)
Alabama vs. LSU (I don't really see anyone stopping Alabama this year.)
Washington vs. Cal (Washington is awesome to watch.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 01:04 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,850,940 times
I went 16-6 last week bringing the season record to 131-61.

Only picking the four weekday games for now.
I will pick the remainder before the weekend.

Western Michigan vs. Ball State
Toledo vs. Akron
UCLA vs. Colorado
Temple vs. Connecticut
Notre Dame vs. Navy
Wisconsin vs. Northwestern
Texas vs. Texas Tech
Air Force vs. Army
Indiana vs. Rutgers
Pittsburgh vs. Miami
Georgia Tech vs. North Carolina
Virginia vs. Wake Forest
BYU vs. Cincinnati
Virginia Tech vs. Duke
Florida vs. Arkansas
TCU vs. Baylor
Oklahoma State vs. Kansas State
Memphis vs. SMU
Oregon vs. USC
Florida State vs. NC State
Georgia vs. Kentucky
Iowa vs. Penn State
Nebraska vs. Ohio State
Alabama vs. LSU
Washington vs. Cal

Old 11-01-2016, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 531 times
Very interesting. May I point out a few things.

1. Air Force is 8-1 ATS in their last 9 games at Army. The current line is Army -1 1/2.
2. Oklahoma State is 1-9 ATS in their last 10 games at Kansas State. The line is K-State -2 1/2.
3. Wake Forest can lock up a Bowl Game appearance with a win against UVA, who is going nowhere in a hurry this season.
4. If Indiana wants to go bowling, they had better defeat Rutgers. A win there plus a win against Purdue gets them in. Their other two games are against Penn State and at Michigan.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:06 PM

977 posts, read 1,629,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger099 View Post
Nebraska vs. Ohio State (Both teams are good...But Ohio State's O-line sucks, and when you get pressure on JT Barrett, he's not very good. Surprisingly, i'll take Nebraska on the road in Columbus.)
I like your optimism.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:53 PM

12,446 posts, read 10,891,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger099 View Post
Here are my picks.
Western Michigan vs. Ball State (Row the boat.)
Toledo vs. Akron (Toledo's been playing decent ball this season.)
UCLA vs. Colorado (This season has been a big disappointment for UCLA. And Colorado is better than they have been in a while.)
Temple vs. Connecticut (I'll take Temple on the road after UConn's performace against ECU.)
Notre Dame vs. Navy (Notre Dame beat a rebuilding Miami team that is only now starting to reveal the damage after Golden left. I'll take Navy in this one, as Navy has beaten better teams than Miami right now, even though they're mostly G5 wins.)
Wisconsin vs. Northwestern (Ain't it been some time since Wisconsin has beaten Northwestern on the road? Either way, i think they'll escape Northwestern in a close one.)
Texas vs. Texas Tech (Both teams are bi-polar as hell. We can play like the world depends on us against teams like Notre Dame and Baylor, Tech is all offense and no defense, and then we have trouble with teams like Cal and K-State, and when they have a defense, the offense doesn't know what the hell to do. So this is a tough one to pick.)
Air Force vs. Army (Air Force is not good on the road, from what i've seen of them.)
Indiana vs. Rutgers (For those of you wondering how Rutgers almost beat Minnesota, they changed QBs and their offense clicked much better with Giovanni Rescigno as the helm. So i expect them to steal one at home against Indiana. Now, if they could clean up their mistakes, they'd have beaten Iowa, Illinois and Minnesota.)
Michigan State vs. Illinois (This is a tossup.)
Pittsburgh vs. Miami (Miami is just cracked now.)
Georgia Tech vs. North Carolina (Another hard one to pick. I'll take UNC in a close one.)
Virginia vs. Wake Forest (After seeing their performance against Louisville, i'll take UVA on the road in Winston-Salem.)
BYU vs. Cincinnati (Bye bye, Tubbs.)
Virginia Tech vs. Duke (Duke ain't as good as they've been this year.)
Florida vs. Arkansas (It'd be nice to see Kentucky win the East. I don't see it happening, though. I think Florida will win this one and beat South Carolina, and then LSU will decide if they're going 11-1, 10-2, or 9-3.)
TCU vs. Baylor (Poor Fort Worth Froggies.)
Oklahoma State vs. Kansas State (Oklahoma State is just now starting to click.)
Memphis vs. SMU (SMU had trouble with...Tulane on the road, after beating Houston. Memphis gave up 59 to Tulsa. Tough one to pick, but i'm going with Memphis after SMU's last performance.)
Missouri vs. South Carolina (Missouri is just an absolute joke.)
Oregon vs. USC (While USC is looking good now, look at who they've beaten...)
Florida State vs. NC State (Dave Doeren's done at NC State.)
Georgia vs. Kentucky (Kirby ain't impressing in his first year at Georgia.)
Iowa vs. Penn State (I think James Franklin just saved his job.)
Alabama vs. LSU (I don't really see anyone stopping Alabama this year.)
Washington vs. Cal (Washington is awesome to watch.)
Clemson vs Syracuse????

Old 11-01-2016, 10:09 PM

6,536 posts, read 4,487,242 times
Missed Western Michigan but only a complete fool would have picked against Western Michigan, so I think I should get half credit for that.

Toledo vs. Akron. MACtion packed.
UCLA vs. (21) Colorado. Most likely team that started in the top 20 that's going to make a bowl?? UCLA (need to win 3 of their final 4 [@ Colorado, @ Cal, home vs. USC & Oregon State]), Notre Dame (need to win 3 of final 4 [home vs. Army & Virginia Tech, neutral site vs. Navy, @ USC]), Michigan State (need to win final 4 [@ Penn State, @ Illinois, home vs. Rutgers & Ohio State]), or Ole Miss (need to win 3 of final 4 [home vs. Georgia Southern & Miss State, @ Texas A&M, @ Vandy])?? I'll take Ole Miss. They should beat Georgia Southern, I think they'll win the Egg Bowl, and I think they'll eek out a win at Vandy to finish 6-6. UCLA & Michigan State could lose to Oregon State & Rutgers respectively with the rate they are going and neither of them will be close. Notre Dame is my next closest, but I think they'll lose to either Navy or Virginia Tech, along with USC to finish 5-7.

Old 11-02-2016, 05:03 AM

1,577 posts, read 981,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Whatever happened to the wonderful Cinderella Houston that pollsters, sports websites, magazines, TV/Radio personalities, and assorted flavor-of-the-week fanatics (including cheerleader ESPN) were fawning over and raving about
Are they all about Louisville again?
Laughter.. good call Colt.
I always assumed Houston was suspect, and Louisville looked suspect as Hell, barely escaping Charlottesville with a win.
In fairness tho, I will admit my confidence in Stanford looks misguided this season.. but I'm still riding the Big Ten train for 2016. It's been a fun season so far, and truth is, guys @ ESPN aren't any smarter than any of us.. we're all watching the same games & subjectively guessing.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:49 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,120,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Laughter.. good call Colt.
I always assumed Houston was suspect, and Louisville looked suspect as Hell, barely escaping Charlottesville with a win.
In fairness tho, I will admit my confidence in Stanford looks misguided this season.. but I'm still riding the Big Ten train for 2016. It's been a fun season so far, and truth is, guys @ ESPN aren't any smarter than any of us.. we're all watching the same games & subjectively guessing.
I have to agree that our posters here at C-D Sports are very knowledgeable. Sure, we all have our leanings here and there, but in general we have a much more informed bunch here.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:06 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,850,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
I went 16-6 last week bringing the season record to 131-61.

Only picking the four weekday games for now.
I will pick the remainder before the weekend.

Toledo vs. Akron
UCLA vs. Colorado
Temple vs. Connecticut
Notre Dame vs. Navy
Texas vs. Texas Tech
Air Force vs. Army
Indiana vs. Rutgers
Pittsburgh vs. Miami
Virginia vs. Wake Forest
BYU vs. Cincinnati
Virginia Tech vs. Duke
Florida vs. Arkansas
TCU vs. Baylor
Memphis vs. SMU
Oregon vs. USC
Georgia vs. Kentucky
Iowa vs. Penn State
Nebraska vs. Ohio State
Alabama vs. LSU
Washington vs. Cal
Toledo vs. Akron
UCLA vs. Colorado
Temple vs. Connecticut
Notre Dame vs. Navy
Texas vs. Texas Tech
Air Force vs. Army
Indiana vs. Rutgers
Pittsburgh vs. Miami
Virginia vs. Wake Forest
BYU vs. Cincinnati
Virginia Tech vs. Duke
Florida vs. Arkansas
TCU vs. Baylor
Memphis vs. SMU
Oregon vs. USC
Georgia vs. Kentucky
Iowa vs. Penn State
Nebraska vs. Ohio State
Alabama vs. LSU
Washington vs. Cal

Old 11-04-2016, 02:19 PM

6,536 posts, read 4,487,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Missed Western Michigan but only a complete fool would have picked against Western Michigan, so I think I should get half credit for that.

Toledo vs. Akron. MACtion packed.
UCLA vs. (21) Colorado. Most likely team that started in the top 20 that's going to make a bowl?? UCLA (need to win 3 of their final 4 [@ Colorado, @ Cal, home vs. USC & Oregon State]), Notre Dame (need to win 3 of final 4 [home vs. Army & Virginia Tech, neutral site vs. Navy, @ USC]), Michigan State (need to win final 4 [@ Penn State, @ Illinois, home vs. Rutgers & Ohio State]), or Ole Miss (need to win 3 of final 4 [home vs. Georgia Southern & Miss State, @ Texas A&M, @ Vandy])?? I'll take Ole Miss. They should beat Georgia Southern, I think they'll win the Egg Bowl, and I think they'll eek out a win at Vandy to finish 6-6. UCLA & Michigan State could lose to Oregon State & Rutgers respectively with the rate they are going and neither of them will be close. Notre Dame is my next closest, but I think they'll lose to either Navy or Virginia Tech, along with USC to finish 5-7.

Temple vs. Connecticut. Temple probably wins, but since I'm a UConn fan, and I have a good enough record I'll throw this out and hope UConn can steal one.
Notre Dame vs. Navy. Navy bounces back against the overrated Irish.
(9) Wisconsin vs. Northwestern. Small sample size (only 4 games) but the Badgers haven't won in Evanston since 1999.
Texas vs. Texas Tech. Who knows with these two teams??
Air Force vs. Army. A bigger sample size: Since 1980 Air Force have only lost 7 times to the Black Knights, and only once in the last 10 years.
Indiana vs. Rutgers. Think Rutgers picks up their first conference win. They've been close against some teams lately, they'll get over the hump
Michigan State vs. Illinois. Sparty keeps bowl eligibility alive....for another week anyways.
Pittsburgh vs. Miami. Miami is not very good, but think they win at home.
Georgia Tech vs. (16) North Carolina. Heels seem to play to their opponents level, but think they pull this out.
Virginia vs. Wake Forest. A toss up.
BYU vs. Cincinnati. BYU's played closer against worse teams then this.
(19) Virginia Tech vs. Duke. Tech keeps pace in the Coastal.
(7) Florida vs. Arkansas. I'll take the upset in Fayetteville.
TCU vs. (15) Baylor. Poor TCU
(18) Oklahoma State vs. Kansas State. I'll take another upset, though this one probably comes back to bite me in the ass.
Memphis vs. SMU. Both teams looked atrocious last week, so I'll take the team at home for this game, and unfortunately, that's SMU.
Missouri vs. South Carolina. Both teams stink.
Oregon vs. USC. If this was in Eugene I'd probably pick the Ducks.
(25) Florida State vs. NC State. FSU needs to show me some consistency.
Georgia vs. Kentucky. So, if my earlier result holds true and Arkansas beats Florida, should Kentucky win this, they'd be percentage points ahead of Florida for the division lead.
Iowa vs. Penn State. My, how the fortunes have changed for these two teams since the start of the year.
(11) Nebraska vs. (5) Ohio State. Ohio State at home.
(1) Alabama vs. (14) LSU. Alabama would have to lose AT LEAST twice before I even thought about picking against them.
(2) Washington vs. Cal. Cal may keep it close for a half, but Huskies will pull away late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or