U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2016, 06:30 AM

6,544 posts, read 4,495,395 times

Advertisements

I'll take Ohio & Toledo for now, and get the rest including my totals for last week in before Thursday's games
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 08:03 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,853,621 times
16-7 last week/167-75 on the season:

Ohio vs. Central Michigan
Ball State vs. Toledo
Louisville vs. Houston
Arkansas State vs. Troy
Memphis vs. Cincinnati
Oklahoma State vs. TCU
Miami vs. NC State
Florida vs. LSU
Duke vs. Pittsburgh
Washington State vs. Colorado
San Diego State vs. Wyoming
Virginia Tech vs. Notre Dame
Northwestern vs. Minnesota
Navy vs. East Carolina
Stanford vs. Cal
Arkansas vs. Mississippi State
Arizona State vs. Washington
Ole Miss vs. Vanderbilt
Oklahoma vs. West Virginia
USC vs. UCLA

Old 11-17-2016, 01:28 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,853,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltergulick View Post
Crazy I know but looking at the games and how the season has gone so far, my top 4 after tonight would be:

Alabama
Ohio State
Michigan
Clemson

1) While Clemson and Michigan lost, they didn't lose as bad as Washington.
2) Can't drop Clemson behind L'ville can you?
2a) Clemson really shouldn't have lost. The refs gave Pitt a TD on their last TD drive. I hope the committee realizes this, because there were a lot of phantom calls on that drive. And I am no Clemson fan, but that is BS.
3) Can't drop Michigan behind Wisconsin can you?
4) Can't drop Michigan behind Penn St can you?
5) Want to jump a 2 loss Oklahoma in there ahead of so many solid 1 loss teams?

I don't think there is a way to do a top 4 without pissing a bunch of people off.

To me it is a great example of why it should be 8, although there is still a few weeks left and who knows what will happen over the next three weeks.
Wow. You nailed that one perfectly.

Old 11-17-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I'll take Ohio & Toledo for now, and get the rest including my totals for last week in before Thursday's games

Sorry I lied. Louisville & Troy tonight, Memphis on Friday. Rest of the weekend is coming in by Saturday morning.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:53 PM

So long Louisville! With Houston's blowout, let's see what I wrote about the Cougars back during week 2 of the season in snippets:

Quote:
1) Alabama
2) Ohio State
3) Stanford
4) Florida State.

Whoops! 1 & 2 look good, LOL at 3 & 4

Quote:
Houston is going to be an intriguing case study for the playoffs, and how the committee ranks a non P5 team that only played 2 teams worth a damn, but those 2 teams were top 10 teams. Their season rests on 3 more things the rest of the way:
1) The road game at Navy
2) The game against Louisville
3) How Oklahoma & Louisville fare the rest of the season.

The Navy loss as it turned out probably wouldn't been too bad. Sure, it would've been better to win that game, but if you lost that, especially with how Oklahoma & Louisville had been going, you could probably chalk that up to a bad day: Ohio State to Penn State, Iowa to Michigan, Clemson to Pitt, etc. The SMU loss for them was the absolute killer.

Quote:
Since we're doing hypotheticals and predictions here anyways I think they'll beat Navy, which means their season comes down to Louisville (since they should beat whatever team comes out of the awful AAC Eastern division). If they win that than how OU & Louisville fare in the other games is very intriguing: Take a look:

They probably won't even be playing that "awful East winner" anyways as they have to play @ Memphis and they need Navy to lose twice to 2 bad teams....and that's assuming they even beat Memphis. And it also turns out that "awful east winner" was far from awful. South Florida is 8-2 and has been getting votes for the top 25 poll, while Temple is 7-3 losing by a touchdown at now #6 Penn State.

Quote:
Example A: Louisville splits the Clemson/Florida State games, but they win @ Clemson. I would have to think Louisville, even with a loss to Houston is still a fringe top 10 team. Even if they aren't top 10 they are probably 11 or 12. Oklahoma meanwhile beats Ohio State, finishes 8-1 in the Big 12 (only loss @ TCU) and wins the conference. They probably (with the Big 12 schedule) finish top 6 or 7 in the rankings. How would the playoff committee rank, what at this time is probably the #2 or #3 team in the country that didn't play that much of a quality schedule, but they played 2 top 10 teams, and won both games. But in this case could the committee really leave out 2 BCS conference teams in the playoffs to include a non P5 team?? I'd LOVE to be a fly on the wall there.

I still think Houston would've been a tough add to the playoffs, especially when there would be at least 2 BCS conferences left out, but this is the most likely scenario that was playing out (with Oklahoma a decent chance to finish Big 12 play unbeaten). IF Houston beats Navy & SMU AND everything else plays out the way it was, including tonight is Houston a top 4 team?? I don't think so based on what I just said above about BCS conferences being left out, but they would have been the poster child to get a top 8 playoff fast tracked.

Quote:
Example B: Louisville loses to both Clemson & Florida State. OU loses to Ohio State, and finishes 6-3 in the Big 12. There's no way the playoff takes Houston in this case even though they'd be a top 3 team in the country.

I think it's fairly obvious now they wouldn't have been a playoff team in this scenario.

Quote:
Example C: Louisville beats BOTH Clemson & Florida State, but they lose to Houston & they lose in the ACC championship game. Meanwhile Oklahoma beats Ohio state, but they lose to TCU, West Virginia, Texas & Oklahoma State. I think in this case we can safely assume that the ACC is OUT of the playoffs, but let's say Ohio State/Michigan State/Michigan all finish 1-1 against each other and lose in the Big 10 title game. Do you take out Ohio State & replace them with Houston, even though Houston is probably more deserving?? It'll be fun to watch, but I have a feeling Houston is going to lose 1 of these games (UConn maybe?? Navy or Memphis both on the road more likely) but IF Louisville can split the FSU/Clemson games AND if OU loses no more than once (preferably not against the Buckeyes) I don't see how you can leave out Houston.

Probably wouldn't have made it in this scenario either, but probably a tad more likely than scenario B.

Oh, what could have been

Old 11-19-2016, 05:15 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,019,099 times
If there's any forum members left that think Tuberville ain't getting fired, you're about to be proven very wrong.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:27 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,155,459 times
Apparently the Bearcats had their senior night last night, but the athletic director (I think) posed with the families for the pics before the game, fwiw.

In addition, there's video of him yelling at a fan a week or two ago.

Wonder what Kevin Oliver is thinking...

Old 11-19-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Sorry I lied. Louisville & Troy tonight, Memphis on Friday. Rest of the weekend is coming in by Saturday morning.
(12) Oklahoma State vs. TCU. Tough road games for the Pokes, but they get it done.
Miami vs. NC State. What the hell has happened to the Canes??
(14) Florida vs. (17) LSU. Roll with the Tigers at home.
Duke vs. Pittsburgh. Pitt keeps it rolling after last week's victory.
(11) Washington State vs. (13) Colorado. Sorry Colorado, I am all in on the Cougars.
(18) San Diego State vs. Wyoming. Aztecs will send the Broncos to the MWC championship game.
(23) Virginia Tech vs. Notre Dame. Virginia Tech should win, but I just have a feeling ND pulls one out. They aren't beating USC next weekend, this team has too much talent to finish better than 5-7, right??
Northwestern vs. Minnesota. Minnesota might be the worst 7-3 team I ever remember.
Navy vs. East Carolina. Navy keeps rolling.
Stanford vs. Cal. Stanford playing a lot better, they'll dominate in the game.
Arkansas vs. Mississippi State. Unfortunately I had to pick one.
Arizona State vs. (9) Washington. Huskies rebound from last weekend, and still make next weekend's Apple Cup very meaningful.
Ole Miss vs. Vanderbilt. Vandy at home.
(6) Oklahoma vs. (5) West Virginia. Hard to go against Oklahoma.
(25) USC vs. UCLA. UCLA will battle, but that team is too banged up for a full 60 minutes.

Old 11-19-2016, 05:01 PM

578 posts, read 331,086 times
Quote:
(12) Oklahoma State vs. TCU. Tough road games for the Pokes, but they get it done.
Miami vs. NC State. What the hell has happened to the Canes??
(14) Florida vs. (17) LSU. Roll with the Tigers at home.
Duke vs. Pittsburgh. Pitt keeps it rolling after last week's victory.
(11) Washington State vs. (13) Colorado. Sorry Colorado, I am all in on the Cougars.
(18) San Diego State vs. Wyoming. Aztecs will send the Broncos to the MWC championship game.
(23) Virginia Tech vs. Notre Dame. Virginia Tech should win, but I just have a feeling ND pulls one out. They aren't beating USC next weekend, this team has too much talent to finish better than 5-7, right??
Northwestern vs. Minnesota. Minnesota might be the worst 7-3 team I ever remember.
Navy vs. East Carolina. Navy keeps rolling.
Stanford vs. Cal. Stanford playing a lot better, they'll dominate in the game.
Arkansas vs. Mississippi State. Unfortunately I had to pick one.
Arizona State vs. (9) Washington. Huskies rebound from last weekend, and still make next weekend's Apple Cup very meaningful.
Ole Miss vs. Vanderbilt. Vandy at home.
(6) Oklahoma vs. (5) West Virginia. Hard to go against Oklahoma.
(25) USC vs. UCLA. UCLA will battle, but that team is too banged up for a full 60 minutes.
oklahoma SUCKS,they only win against crappy teams ohio state blew them out,clemson last year did they dont deserve to be in the playoffs really the big 12 sucks expect tcu when they had boykins!

Old 11-19-2016, 05:27 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,005,222 times
LOLOL Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or