U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2016, 09:20 AM

1,587 posts, read 990,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
Kentucky beat Louisville! As a 28-point underdog on the road..
Congrats to Kentucky..
I've been hating on Louisville on season.. they've looked like paper Lions all year to me. I commented in our forum, how suspect they looked (barely) beating a struggling UVa team.
And I think if they were in this year's stout Big Ten, we would've never heard from 'em. Hopefully the Louisville hype will dissipate some now..

Forgive me Louisville fans.. I just can't take the hype..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2016, 11:02 AM

529 posts, read 281,200 times
1) Alabama (1)
2) Ohio State (2)
3) Clemson (3)
4) Michigan (4)
5) W. Michigan (7)
6) Penn St (6)
7) Washington (10)
8) Wisconsin (8)
9) Boise St. (5)
10) Colorado (14)
11) FSU (17)
12) Oklahoma (9)
13) USC (16)
14) USF (19)
15) Navy (20)
16) Nebraska (11)
17) West Virginia (25)
18) Tennessee (12)
19) Louisville (13)
20) Oklahoma St (21)
21) Wash St (22)
22) Houston (15)
23) Iowa (NR)
24) Stanford (NR)
25) Florida (18)

Dropping out: Auburn, Wyoming

Old 11-27-2016, 01:49 PM

9,896 posts, read 21,173,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Congrats to Kentucky..
I've been hating on Louisville on season.. they've looked like paper Lions all year to me. I commented in our forum, how suspect they looked (barely) beating a struggling UVa team.
And I think if they were in this year's stout Big Ten, we would've never heard from 'em. Hopefully the Louisville hype will dissipate some now..

Forgive me Louisville fans.. I just can't take the hype..
28 point Vegas line was outrageous, Louisville has been playing mediocre for the second half of the season and barely beating bad teams. UK has played very respectable the past couple months and has played close in Stoops vs Petrino matchups.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:54 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,858,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltergulick View Post
1) Alabama (1)
2) Ohio State (2)
3) Clemson (3)
4) Michigan (4)
5) W. Michigan (7)
6) Penn St (6)
7) Washington (10)
8) Wisconsin (8)
9) Boise St. (5)
10) Colorado (14)
11) FSU (17)
12) Oklahoma (9)
13) USC (16)
14) USF (19)
15) Navy (20)
16) Nebraska (11)
17) West Virginia (25)
18) Tennessee (12)
19) Louisville (13)
20) Oklahoma St (21)
21) Wash St (22)
22) Houston (15)
23) Iowa (NR)
24) Stanford (NR)
25) Florida (18)

Dropping out: Auburn, Wyoming

The top 4 really hasn't changed no matter what happens on the field.

Since you first posted these the top 4 are the same with the small exception of Ohio St jumping from 4 to 2. Since that first poll Clemson lost and Michigan has lost TWICE, yet they are still #4??

Something doesn't seem right about that.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
The top 4 really hasn't changed no matter what happens on the field.

Since you first posted these the top 4 are the same with the small exception of Ohio St jumping from 4 to 2. Since that first poll Clemson lost and Michigan has lost TWICE, yet they are still #4??

Something doesn't seem right about that.

First point is this is not some special ranking system that I made up. It is just a very simplistic point system that gives an idea of how strong the competition has been for each team and how they performed vs that competition.

I don't know how it will stand up over time, but I have to admit I am surprisingly pleased with how it has performed so far this season. I can't complain about the top 25, with a few exceptions. Most glaring to me is Tennessee being ranked@18 with 4 losses. Part of that stems from the fact that three of their non con wins were against Va Tech, W Kentucky and Ohio, who have won 9, 9 and 8 respectively. Obviously the biggest flaw is that a 9 win W Kentucky shouldn't count as much as say a 9 win Oklahoma or USC for instance. I am working on adding another element and seeing how that works out, but for something so ridiculously simple the results are quite good in my opinion.

As to why the top 4 hasn't changed, well this is simply due to the fact that these top 4 had such a large lead on everyone else.

Now after last weekend the top 3 have pulled away a bit and Michigan is just 3 points ahead of W. Michigan.

After this weekend W. Michigan, the winner of the B1G CG, and Washington will all surpass Michigan with wins. Colorado would end up being one point behind Michigan if they win, because that win would give an idle Michigan one extra point due to Michigan having beaten them. To be a little more clear on that last point, right now Michigan scores 10 points for that win because Colorado is a 10 win team. If Colorado wins then that Michigan win over Colorado will be worth 11 points. The loss cost Colorado 2 points because Michigan is now a 2 loss team. Michigan will also gain another point guaranteed because they have wins against both Penn St. and Wisconsin.

Michigan is the only team this season to have wins against 3 different 10+ win teams.

Ohio State though has 5 wins vs teams with 9+ wins, which is the best resume of all of the teams. If they had beaten Penn St. and were also unbeaten they would be ahead of Alabama.

I'll also make one last point about the "Minnesota is the worst 8 win team" discussion. Wish I'd have seen it before this weekend, cause now there are a bunch more 8 win teams in the mix, but just for fun here are the current 8 win teams in order using this system.

Tennessee
Wash St.
Iowa
Florida
Auburn
Pittsburgh
Wyoming
Ga. Tech
Texas A&M
Memphis
Miami, FL
Minnesota
Utah
North Carolina
New Mexico
BYU
La. Tech
MTSU
Ohio

Old 11-30-2016, 09:07 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,019,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Why the hell would LSU or Texas want a coach who's team got crushed by SMU and gave up 2 touchdowns in the final 3:50 to lose @ Memphis??

Well, I guess LSU won't have to worry about it, as they decided to keep Orgeron as the full-time coach. Apparently, there was quite a bit of support for Orgeron there. Maybe it will work out for them but I am thinking that some of them have a short-term memory and don't really remember Orgeron's time at Ole Miss where he was absolutely hideous. He will recruit, there is no doubt about that, as he recruited very well at Ole Miss and will do so at LSU. However, it just didn't translate at all on the field at Ole Miss and we will see if he is somehow a better head coach than he appeared to be at Ole Miss. His accent is certainly going to lead to some interesting audio clips.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:29 PM

Okay, I've added Sagarin's conference ratings as a modifier to the initial simplistic results and these are the new results:

1) Alabama
2) Ohio State
3) Clemson
4) Michigan
5) Penn St
6) Washington
7) Wisconsin
8) Colorado
9) W. Michigan
10) FSU
11) Boise St.
12) Oklahoma
13) USC
14) Navy
15) Nebraska
16) West Virginia
17) USF
18) Louisville
19) Wash St
20) Tennessee
21) Oklahoma St
22) Stanford
23) Auburn
24) Iowa
25) Houston

It only dropped Tenn two spots, but W Michigan drops 4 spots.
Washington and Colorado gain 2, Boise drops 2. Florida is out and Auburn is in.

Overall I think it is a better poll, and it reflects my personal "eye test" opinion a bit better as well.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:41 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,021,400 times
All right. Here's the conference championship week picks.

(5) Western Michigan vs. Ohio
(8) Colorado vs. (4) Washington
Kansas State vs. TCU
Temple vs. (13) Navy
Louisiana Tech vs. Western Kentucky
(10) Oklahoma State vs. (7) Oklahoma
Baylor vs. (12) West Virginia
(1) Alabama vs. (18) Florida
San Diego State vs. Wyoming
(3) Clemson vs. (15) Virginia Tech
(6) Wisconsin vs. (9) Penn State

Pick Overall Record: 176-111
Pick Overall Last Week: 15-9

Here are my picks.
Western Michigan vs. Ohio (Broncos continue rowing the boat.)
Colorado vs. Washington (Hard choice, but i'll take Sefo Liufau and the Buffs in a close battle.)
Kansas State vs. TCU (TCU at home against a slightly-above average K-State team.)
Temple vs. Navy (I think Navy'll smack around Temple.)
Louisiana Tech vs. Western Kentucky (Toppers win the C-USA again.)
Oklahoma State vs. Oklahoma (Sooners with the homefield advantage and talent over Pokes in the final seconds.)
Baylor vs. West Virginia (Baylor has gone to hell.)
Alabama vs. Florida (Florida stands between Bama and the playoffs...That's enough to say Alabama's gonna win.)
San Diego State vs. Wyoming (SDSU wins the rematch.)
Clemson vs. Virginia Tech (Clemson has come back to win some of their games this year. This'll be another.)
Wisconsin vs. Penn State (Overall, i think Wisconsin has a better defense than Penn State. But this'll be a low scoring battle.)

Old 12-01-2016, 07:47 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,858,176 times
14-10 last week/195-91 on the season

Western Michigan
vs. Ohio
Colorado vs. Washington
Kansas State vs. TCU
Temple vs. (13) Navy
Louisiana Tech vs. Western Kentucky
Oklahoma State vs. Oklahoma
Baylor vs. West Virginia
Alabama vs. Florida
San Diego State vs. Wyoming
Clemson vs. Virginia Tech
Wisconsin vs. Penn State

Since I am from Louisiana I am adding a game of importance in my home state:

UL-Lafayette vs UL-Monroe

Old 12-02-2016, 04:34 PM

6,553 posts, read 4,508,554 times
Sorry, basketball started this week, I'll do my calculations from last week to the end of the season in January. I'll get the first 2 tonight in, and get the rest for Saturday in later tonight.

(5) Western Michigan vs. Ohio. Broncos have a New Years day bowl in their sights, they won't mess it up
(8) Colorado vs. (4) Washington. Washington has the playoffs in its sights, they won't mess it up either. But congrats on the Rose Bowl bid Colorado, that's not a bad consolation prize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or