U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2016, 03:16 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,847,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Miami (OH) vs. Mississippi State. Yes, Miss State is probably better, but they are a 5-7 team playing in St. Petersburg in one of the worst stadiums in professional sports, in the aft.
Too many bowl games (41+) have ruined it. Some analyst in previous years think they should cut down to 10-12 major bowls. When you go 6-6 and in a bowl it's over kill. We will watch the 2 playoff games and forget the others. They may ruin college basketball too if they expand to 96 or 128 teams. There are 3 other NCAA tournaments beside the main one. Too many teams getting in removes the challenge of trying to get in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 04:52 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,122,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Too many bowl games (41+) have ruined it. Some analyst in previous years think they should cut down to 10-12 major bowls. When you go 6-6 and in a bowl it's over kill. We will watch the 2 playoff games and forget the others. They may ruin college basketball too if they expand to 96 or 128 teams. There are 3 other NCAA tournaments beside the main one. Too many teams getting in removes the challenge of trying to get in.
Seems to me that these continuous expansions have mostly been caused by homers continuing to lobby for their perennially awful and rightfully overlooked teams which never or rarely got in before.

Therefore, here we now have to put up with 5-7 vs 6-6 teams in mostly unimpressive, if not horrific, bowl games. Ugh...

Old 12-29-2016, 08:13 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,851,883 times
There have been some pretty great competitive games so far.

While I am not a huge fan of rewarding mediocrity, can anyone please give an example of how Northwestern beating Pittsburgh, or Boston College beating Maryland is somehow bad for the sport?

Because you aren't interested? SO? Don't watch them. Problem solved.

What are the other supposed downsides exactly?

Old 12-29-2016, 09:13 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,018,191 times
All right. Time for the final set of bowl picks.

Georgia vs. TCU
(16) Stanford vs. North Carolina
(15) Nebraska vs. Tennessee
South Alabama vs. Air Force
(8) Michigan vs. (12) Florida State
LSU vs. (18) Louisville
Georgia Tech vs. Kentucky
(3) Washington vs. (1) Alabama
(5) Ohio State vs. (2) Clemson
Florida vs. (19) Iowa
(7) Western Michigan vs. (9) Wisconsin
(13) USC vs. (4) Penn State
Auburn vs. (6) Oklahoma

Here are my picks.
Georgia vs. TCU (This game is going to be a s**tshow.)
Stanford vs. North Carolina (I expect Stanford to win this one.)
Nebraska vs. Tennessee (A fitting end to Tennessee's season. Butch Jones will be in deep s**t next year.)
South Alabama vs. Air Force (The last irrelevant bowl of the season.)
Michigan vs. Florida State (Michigan by 14.)
LSU vs. Louisville (While i like LSU's decision hiring Orgeron, i think Lamar Jackson will rip apart LSU.)
Georgia Tech vs. Kentucky (Kentucky will be 0-2 against the state of Georgia.)
Washington vs. Alabama (I think Alabama will win. But i think it will be much closer then what everybody thinks.)
Ohio State vs. Clemson (Ohio State has talent, yes...but JT Barrett and Tim Beck are iffy at times, and that'll get shown here.)
Florida vs. Iowa (Florida's problem is they can't produce offense. It'll show again here.)
Western Michigan vs. Wisconsin (The boat ain't gonna stop rowin' till they win the Cotton Bowl.)
USC vs. Penn State (USC sure came alive in the second half of the year. That Darnold kid is good. I expect USC to win a close-fought game. I think this is where Penn State's 1st half troubles come to hurt them.)
Auburn vs. Oklahoma (If Auburn had any offense outside of Pettway, i'd go with them. But they don't.)

Old 12-29-2016, 09:18 AM

2,835 posts, read 1,775,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
There have been some pretty great competitive games so far.

While I am not a huge fan of rewarding mediocrity, can anyone please give an example of how Northwestern beating Pittsburgh, or Boston College beating Maryland is somehow bad for the sport?

Because you aren't interested? SO? Don't watch them. Problem solved.

What are the other supposed downsides exactly?
The coaching changes hurt bowl games each year. For instance, Houston was a shell of a team but Indiana shocked me last night- I was expecting a 2-3 TD beatdown. I wish departures could be fixed and coaches remain until the season is completed.

I am always interested in which teams take a step forward. You have a month to prepare- it is a time where coaching advantages rear their heads. I watch a ton of Big10 football and I thought NW was a better team than their record indicated. I thought Maryland is/was hot garbage. PSU/USC game is gonna be closer than folks expect- PSU has WRs a savvy QB and they can play in the trenches. Of course the back they have is GREAT and he was playing hurt/injured most of the year. I think I've just talked myself into picking PSU.

Clemson/OSU like many say- very intriguing. I think if either team can finally put it all together. They can win the playoff and it wouldn't be surprising at all.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:21 PM

6,536 posts, read 4,489,472 times
Georgia vs. TCU. Neither team was that good this year, and the SEC.....like clockwork, is sucking wind in bowls
(16) Stanford vs. North Carolina. Without McCaffery, I think the Heels win it.
(15) Nebraska vs. Tennessee. Wasn't Tennessee supposed to compete for the SEC championship this year.
South Alabama vs. Air Force. Anyone know when the last time all 3 service academies made bowl games in the same season??
(8) Michigan vs. (12) Florida State. Harbaugh will still be complaining about the refs from the Ohio State from last month.
LSU vs. (18) Louisville. Lamar Jackson show.
Georgia Tech vs. Kentucky. UK had a nice win over Louisville in the regular season finale, so keep the line moving.
(3) Washington vs. (1) Alabama. Alabama by 3+ TDs.
(5) Ohio State vs. (2) Clemson. Everybody wants to see Alabama vs. Ohio State which likely means 1 of those teams lose, and the more likely scenario is Ohio State losing. That team isn't very good and think Clemson can score enough to win.
Florida vs. (19) Iowa. No way that pitiful Gators offense can put enough points on the board.
(7) Western Michigan vs. (9) Wisconsin. Row the boat.
(13) USC vs. (4) Penn State. 2 teams that really picked it up the second half of the year. USC playing a defacto home game, but Penn State has got the magic going.
Auburn vs. (6) Oklahoma. Boomer Sooner as the SEC continues to stink it up in bowls
(1) Alabama vs. (2) Clemson. Rematch of last year's championship game with the same result.....no one is beating Alabama this year.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:34 PM

3,960 posts, read 2,511,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Miami (OH) vs. Mississippi State. Yes, Miss State is probably better, but they are a 5-7 team playing in St. Petersburg in one of the worst stadiums in professional sports, in the afternoon the day after Christmas, do they really want to be playing in the St. Petersburg bowl?? Also, SEC hasn't fared well in bowl games in recent years. I know Miami will want to be there, not sure about the Bulldogs which is why I will take the Red Hawks.
Maryland vs. Boston College. Neither team has beaten a team with more than 6 wins....luckily for each, both teams are 6-6. Big 10 was better than the ACC
NC State vs. Vanderbilt. Another 6-6 bowl, yippee!
Army vs. North Texas. Great season for Army, and I think they'll end it with a win.
(21) Temple vs. Wake Forest. Wake Forest started off 4-0 against the non ACC portion of the schedule, before finishing 2-6 in conference play. Temple with the interim coach, but should still beat Wake.
Minnesota vs. (25) Washington State. Wazzu with points
Boise State vs. Baylor. Remember when Baylor was 6-0?? Seems like a century ago.
(23) Pittsburgh vs. Northwestern. Not sure how many players from New York the football team has, but the basketball team at Pitt constantly gets players from New York.
(10) West Virginia vs. Miami. Miami's slide wasn't as big as Wake's was, but that's another team that started off hot before fizzling out late.
Indiana vs. Utah. A nice season for Indiana, but Utah should win.
Texas A&M vs. Kansas State. Former Big 12 rivals renewing acquaintances.
(14) USF vs. South Carolina. South Carolina wasn't very good while USF had a great season that keeps rolling.
Arkansas vs. (20) Virginia Tech. Hokies should pull away late.
(17) Oklahoma State vs. (11) Colorado. Another former Big 12 rivalry.
Nice pick!

Old 12-30-2016, 05:51 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,851,883 times
Georgia vs. TCU
(16) Stanford vs. North Carolina
(15) Nebraska vs. Tennessee
South Alabama vs. Air Force
(8) Michigan vs. (12) Florida State
LSU vs. (18) Louisville
Georgia Tech vs. Kentucky
(3) Washington vs. (1) Alabama
(5) Ohio State vs. (2) Clemson
Florida vs. (19) Iowa
(7) Western Michigan vs. (9) Wisconsin
(13) USC vs. (4) Penn State
Auburn vs. (6) Oklahoma

Old 12-30-2016, 09:22 AM

2,835 posts, read 1,775,544 times
Georgia vs. TCU. I think Georgia's offense starts to click better.
(16) Stanford vs. North Carolina. I like Stanford a little more than NC.
(15) Nebraska vs. Tennessee. Battle of the paper tigers.
South Alabama vs. Air Force.
(8) Michigan vs. (12) Florida State. I don't think Michigan has their head in this one, but I think their D shows up.
LSU vs. (18) Louisville. I don't like this pick, have no idea about this one. Just a hunch pick.
Georgia Tech vs. Kentucky. I think Kentucky will be prepared for the option, but Tech has played better over the years in bigger games.
(3) Washington vs. (1) Alabama- Big. 34-13. I expect Bama to be in control create turnovers and short fields for their offense.Grind the clock in the second half.
(5) Ohio State vs. (2) Clemson 37-27. OSU is gonna run the read option well and make enough plays in the secondary to win.
Florida vs. (19) Iowa. Iowa should grind out a win. No desire to watch this one.
(7) Western Michigan vs. (9) Wisconsin. It will be a close game until the 4th Quarter. Low scoring game. I think WMU has trouble on offense- need to be creative to score.
(13) USC vs. (4) Penn State. Toss up for me. Very tough game- spread is way too high. SC in a very close one.
Auburn vs. (6) Oklahoma If Auburn had an offense.

Old 12-30-2016, 01:38 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,176,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger View Post

Here are my picks.
Georgia vs. TCU (This game is going to be a s**tshow.)
Actually, it turned out to be a mostly good game.

Unfortunately, it was a reminder that kickers are players as well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or