U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2016, 01:51 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,853,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Yeah, but congrats to me for being the only one to pick Wisconsin?!
And Texas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 02:07 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,019,099 times
Here's my P5 conference rankings from Week 1.

#1: Big Ten (The B1G was on fire last week, going 12-2. The only black eyes being Northwestern, who lost to Western Michigan, and Rutgers also lost to Washington, but that's not a surprise. Blowout wins by Michigan and Ohio State and Wisconsin's upset of an over-rated LSU have helped stir the fire.)
#2: ACC (Mostly a good showing overall. Louisville whupped some ass and and Richt got his first win at Miami, even if it was against FAMU. Also, Florida State's comeback to beat Ole Miss. But Virginia...good god. Bronco has walked into one hell of a mess. Also, North Carolina losing and Clemson almost losing hurts them, but not enough to drop them below 2nd.)
#3: Big 12 (Middle of the road. Texas' win on Sunday Night is the highlight of the conference. Most of the teams that were supposed to win did. However, Oklahoma lost to Houston. And Campbell's got a lot of damage repair to do at ISU.)
#4: SEC (While the SEC is the best conference, this was not one of their best opening weeks. Tennessee struggled with Appalachian State after being hyped all offseason, South Carolina and Vanderbilt fought to see who could be the worst in the East, Westin Graves of the cowbell school had a potential game-winning FG bounce off the posts against South Alabama, LSU looked like ass, Florida did not do well against a team that hasn't done crap since becoming FBS, Kentucky blew a big lead against Southern Miss, The calls to fire Gus should be going up, and Ole Miss blew a 22-point lead against FSU. However, to make up for that, Alabama showed everyone what happens when you stomp on their balls. A&M held off UCLA in overtime, and Kirby Smart got his first win as head coach of Georgia.)
#5: Pac-12 (Although they don't help much, wins by Stanford and Washington are good for the conference. But what most of the rest of the conference did, not so much. Oregon State was expected to lose, so that won't be used against the Pac-12. UCLA had a failed comeback attempt against A&M, Washington State lost a shootout against Eastern Washington, USC stomped on Alabama's balls then proceeded to get their balls stomped on even harder, and Arizona lost on a Jake Oldroyd FG with 4 seconds left.)

What's your opinion?

Old 09-06-2016, 02:11 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,853,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Situations like Wisconsin going from unranked to 10th are reasons why the preseason rankings for college football are a joke. Yes beating LSU is a quality win regardless of where the game was played, but to jump to 10th is a bit much. I would have assumed they'd be somewhere around 21 or 22 after the win. Texas is in the same situation. They got a great quality win over Notre Dame and jump to 11. It should also be noted that we cannot really say if Wisconsin or Texas winning are truly quality as we're only into week 2. Notre Dame or LSU could go on to lose 5 or 6 games and that would diminish the wins for Wisconsin and Texas.

I think polls should always be that fluid in the beginning.

I mean if you are going to have a preseason poll at all, then you have to be willing to drastically change it from week to week early on in the season, as we see more evidence of what teams are actually capable of.

I think LSU was more over-rated than Wisconsin being that good personally, but Texas OTOH looks pretty solid to me.

Kansas State lost, but I think they look to be improved over last year, but it could just be that Stanford is much weaker than last season. Auburn is another losing team that impressed me. Clemson shouldn't have lost much so for Auburn to play them that well makes be believe they are much better than believed.

Alabama is getting far too much credit for thumping USC. I agree that Bama is probably the best team in the country again, but they beat USC. Why did everyone think USC was a top 20 team? There was NO reason for that assumption. In fac they ended last season on a 2 game skid, and lost 3 of their last 4.

Bottom line is pols are meaningless this early, but if you are going to have them you gotta expect huge changes this early.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:05 PM

12,446 posts, read 10,908,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger099 View Post
AP poll is out...
I see Clemson is #2, but I would agree with your ranking them as #3. I'm a Clemson fan, but they tried hard to give the game to Auburn. I mean, what's wrong with a FG at the end to put the game out of reach?

That second-half showing by Florida State sure makes me worry about the Clemson/Florida State game.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:44 PM

12,256 posts, read 7,131,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
After blowing a 35-10 lead on Saturday, you might want to re think this. Ky never has a decent defense. The Gators looked none too good either. However, they are always at their best against my Dawgs- unfortunately.
I won't rethink it, because my favorite sport is basketball. Unless of course I was a fan of different schools in each sport, which I considered but it doesn't feel right.

And yeah, it looks like Florida is still struggling on offense.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:02 PM

Oh god, i forgot to post this. Meltdown Time is back.

NSFW: It's Meltdown Time! Week One - Roll 'Bama Roll

Here are some of my favorites below.

Quote:
Fml, we had corndogs at halftime and now everyone has diarrhea in the house. Seriously wtf.
Quote:
I’m eating animal crackers and pretending that I’m eating badgers
Quote:
(edit)
Quote:
Just wanted to say, my favorite scene in Independence Day is when they nuke Houston.
Quote:
WE ARE BETRAYED BY OUR OWN BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYERS, THE GOALPOSTS
Quote:
I’ve got South in my mouth and I don’t like it.
(edit)[/quote]
Quote:
Gus is playing 3DQB chess while everyone else is playing football.
Quote:
(edit)

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 09-06-2016 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: let's tone down the language a tad-ok??

Old 09-06-2016, 09:16 PM

8,548 posts, read 8,883,067 times
Quote:
That's right, You were. Congratulations. You were the only one who got that right.
Haha.
Those huge jumps for Wisconsin and Texas are a bit crazy though, but it'll shake out in a few weeks.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:38 AM

8,385 posts, read 8,379,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Haha.
Those huge jumps for Wisconsin and Texas are a bit crazy though, but it'll shake out in a few weeks.
No kidding - Texas should be about #20 at best (and I'm a big Longhorn fan).
AP must have convened in Colorado for a smokeout.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:00 PM

All right. Here's the picks for Week 2.

Louisville vs. Syracuse
Penn State vs. Pittsburgh
Cincinnati vs. Purdue
Wake Forest vs. Duke
Kentucky vs. Florida
South Carolina vs. Mississippi State
Arkansas vs. TCU
North Carolina vs. Illinois
Iowa State vs. Iowa
BYU vs. Utah
Virginia Tech vs. Tennessee
Texas Tech vs. Arizona State
Washington State vs. Boise State
Virginia vs. Oregon
Cal vs. San Diego State

Pick Overall Record: 13-5
Pick Record Last Week: 12-4

Here are my picks.
Louisville vs. Syracuse (Lamar Jackson is already tearing it up.)
Penn State vs. Pittsburgh (I don't know enough about either team yet, so this is a guess.)
Cincinnati vs. Purdue (The fact that Cincinnati was unable to lead Tennessee-Martin until the 3rd quarter tells me Tuberville has faded.)
Wake Forest vs. Duke (Wake Forest has a good defense, but their offense really ain't that good.)
Kentucky vs. Florida (Yes. I am seriously, despite last week, picking Kentucky to upset Florida in the Swamp of all places. At least Southern Miss actually went to the C-USA Championship last year. Florida did not look good against a team that hasn't done anything since becoming FBS.)
South Carolina vs. Mississippi State (This is a going to be a fight to see which team is worse.)
Arkansas vs. TCU (Despite last week, I think TCU wins a close one.)
North Carolina vs. Illinois (I like Lovie, and i think he has the potential to do wonderful things with the Illinois football program. But this is a program that is in need of repair.)
Iowa State vs. Iowa (Campbell has to clean up a mess that Paul Rhoads left.)
BYU vs. Utah (This is a rivalry i have always loved. I've got BYU by 3.)
Virginia Tech vs. Tennessee (I've got a strange feeling that VT is going to pull out the upset.)
Texas Tech vs. Arizona State (This is going to be a fun shootout.)
Washington State vs. Boise State (Washington State recovers from the EWU loss and wins in Boise.)
Virginia vs. Oregon ()
Cal vs. San Diego State (Even though Cal has Davis Webb now, i'll take San Diego State in what i think will be a fun game.)

Last edited by SouthernTiger; 09-07-2016 at 12:11 PM..

Old 09-07-2016, 01:15 PM

12,446 posts, read 10,908,021 times
Quote:
All right. Here's the picks for Week 2...
Hey, where's the Clemson/Troy game in that lineup?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or