Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2023, 07:02 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times

Advertisements

Seriously. The seemingly inevitable demise of the pac-12 is sad. Always liked the conference. Now this talk of the Big Ten and SEC having something crazy like 24 teams. Really we should just get rid of conferences and have regional based divisions at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2023, 10:03 AM

8,801 posts, read 10,236,737 times
USC and UCLA joining the Big 10 is asinine.

The NCAA will eventually collapse on itself. Can't happen soon enough in my opinion.

Old 07-05-2023, 10:24 AM

3,939 posts, read 2,338,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post

The NCAA will eventually collapse on itself. Can't happen soon enough in my opinion.
I have to agree. Why did the NCAA let this happen? I am thinking NIL will kill the NCAA as well. In some twisted way, I am sure the NCAA is trying to legislate NIL deals. Just my thought. However, realignment they are hands off? Head scratcher.

Old 07-06-2023, 05:28 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,149,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
I have to agree. Why did the NCAA let this happen? I am thinking NIL will kill the NCAA as well. In some twisted way, I am sure the NCAA is trying to legislate NIL deals. Just my thought. However, realignment they are hands off? Head scratcher.
What can the NCAA do to stop it. They have NO power at all. There really are 2 college football leagues. The Power 2 who prop up their own weak schools, and maybe a third of the teams from the rest of the former "power 5" conferences. Its really enough to have two good leagues with maybe 40 teams and let the rest stay in the NCAA and play college football. Let the others pay their athletes.

Old 07-06-2023, 07:48 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post

Honestly this needs to happen. I mean think about how sill it is to have USC's women's soccer team travel to New Jersey to play Rutgers..... Football may be the most profitable but it's far from the only college sport.

Old 07-08-2023, 07:53 AM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
What can the NCAA do to stop it. They have NO power at all. There really are 2 college football leagues. The Power 2 who prop up their own weak schools, and maybe a third of the teams from the rest of the former "power 5" conferences. Its really enough to have two good leagues with maybe 40 teams and let the rest stay in the NCAA and play college football. Let the others pay their athletes.
Yes it's pretty much the SEC, B1G, and everybody else...

Old 07-08-2023, 08:57 AM

8,801 posts, read 10,236,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Honestly this needs to happen. I mean think about how sill it is to have USC's women's soccer team travel to New Jersey to play Rutgers..... Football may be the most profitable but it's far from the only college sport.
I don't know how it would work but at this point with NIL and coaches getting insane amounts of money, college football should become its own entity. This way they can have all the ridiculous realignments and super conferences they want without the other sports having to follow suit.

It would still be insane with cross-country conference members but at least Basketball, baseball, etc wouldn't be affected.

Old 07-08-2023, 11:54 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Seriously. The seemingly inevitable demise of the pac-12 is sad. Always liked the conference. Now this talk of the Big Ten and SEC having something crazy like 24 teams. Really we should just get rid of conferences and have regional based divisions at this point.
There's definitely that downside but the upside as seen by the AAC, SunBelt and Conference USA is a widening of skill sets with more competitiveness. Allowing I-AA powerhouses (North Dakota State, Montana, Sam Houston) to step up is also going to further broaden audiences and add more talent depth, as already exhibited by schools like James Madison, App State, Old Dominion and Coastal Carolina.

Old 07-10-2023, 12:11 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,931,623 times
Hey as a Penn State Alum and Season Ticket holder I am absolutely thrilled with USC and UCLA joining. Only time any of us Penn Staters ever had a chance to travel to California was if Penn State made the Rose Bowl. Now to be able to have a chance every year now to do that is pretty cool, and to see teams like USC and UCLA at Beaver Stadium will also be awesome.

Plus these athletes will get exposure all around the country instead of just in their Geographic location.

Also, this goes beyond football... other sports benefit from some of these conference realignments.

Old 07-12-2023, 09:36 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Something to consider is what will happen as the schools in the Big10 for example that have struggled to compete (in football especially) continue to even further with programs like USC and UCLA added to the mix? Will they choose to head to less competitive pastures and being more the big fish in the little pond OR stay and risk being asked to leave by other members unhappy over them collecting their fair-share of revenue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football