Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 02:09 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,557,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
8 would definitely be an improvement for that reason. I think that would make a legitimate playoffs. 16 would make it even more interesting.
I personally feel like 16 is unrealistic. I think once you start having (in some cases) three teams from the same conference it is a bit ridiculous.

I get that some people want to see it devolve (IMO) into March Madness, but that isn't really going to happen in CFB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 02:54 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,454,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
I personally feel like 16 is unrealistic. I think once you start having (in some cases) three teams from the same conference it is a bit ridiculous.

I get that some people want to see it devolve (IMO) into March Madness, but that isn't really going to happen in CFB.
I agree that a football version of March Madness is ridiculous. However, 16 teams is only one quarter of the bracket. Looking at the bowl schedule now, the first one is on Saturday, December 17, exactly two weekends before the start of the 4-team playoff. So if we already have that amount of postseason play thanks to the "just because" bowl games, why not make some of them actually count for something? TV ratings could be even higher.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:50 PM

529 posts, read 369,956 times
Quote:
I agree that a football version of March Madness is ridiculous. However, 16 teams is only one quarter of the bracket. Looking at the bowl schedule now, the first one is on Saturday, December 17, exactly two weekends before the start of the 4-team playoff. So if we already have that amount of postseason play thanks to the "just because" bowl games, why not make some of them actually count for something? TV ratings could be even higher.
But those bowl games are the last game for all the teams. With the exception of the playoff teams who play 2 to win it all.

Go to 8 and now the two teams in the NCG play 3 post season games.

Go to 16 and now they play 4 post season games.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:16 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,610,481 times
Quote:
Well, that certainly makes it worthwhile to watch good 2-loss teams play for a pat on the back in some Walmart Chick-fil-A Napa Auto Parts Whatever Bowl that means nothing.
Umm.. What does this have to do with whether or not an expanded playoff takes away from the importance of regular season games?

Do you agree or disagree that the Oh St/Michigan regular season game becomes meaningless when both teams would pretty much get auto-bids into a 16 team playoff regardless of who wins?

Old 10-14-2016, 09:21 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,610,481 times
Also, a 16 team playoff most certainly, without question, takes away importance from conference championship games if both teams still make the playoffs, which would unarguably happen every year in at least one or two conferences.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:05 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,454,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltergulick View Post
But those bowl games are the last game for all the teams. With the exception of the playoff teams who play 2 to win it all.

Go to 8 and now the two teams in the NCG play 3 post season games.

Go to 16 and now they play 4 post season games.
Yeah, like in every other sport...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Umm.. What does this have to do with whether or not an expanded playoff takes away from the importance of regular season games?
The regular season should not be more important than the postseason, it's anticlimactic IMO.

Quote:
Do you agree or disagree that the Oh St/Michigan regular season game becomes meaningless when both teams would pretty much get auto-bids into a 16 team playoff regardless of who wins?
Disagree. It's still a heated rivalry, and being a higher seed would be preferable.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:19 AM

529 posts, read 369,956 times
32 would be even MORE interesting.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:23 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Heck, let's just pay the players and make college football a four-year "minor league" for the NFL. Grades??? I don't need no stinkin' grades.

Old 10-15-2016, 06:39 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times
I would love an 8 team playoff. I feel 4 isn't enough and may leave out some really good teams that could win the title. Let's say the four at the end of this season are:

1. Alabama - SEC Champ (shocker, right?!)
2. Clemson - ACC Champ
3. Ohio State - B10 Champ
4. Washington - Pac-12 Champ

That'll leave probably one loss Michigan out, one or two loss Louisville out, probably a one loss Houston team out, Baylor (or whoever the Big XII champ is), potentially A&M (if their only loss is to Bama and they fail to make the SEC title game despite a 11-1 record) and potentially a one or two loss Wisconsin team and Nebraska. If the field was expanded to 8 the playoff could be:

1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. Washington
4. Clemson
5. Michigan
6. Louisville
7. Texas A&M
8. Baylor

Also:
Houston
Wisconsin
Oklahoma
Ole Miss
Nebraska

Outside of Baylor, from what we've seen so far, any of those top 7 teams could win the national championship, but 3 of them won't get the chance, simply because they dropped a game or two to other great teams in conference (Ohio State vs. Michigan, Bama vs A&M, Louisville vs Clemson) or played a difficult non-conference schedule (Oklahoma). I don't like that.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:48 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
I would love an 8 team playoff. I feel 4 isn't enough and may leave out some really good teams that could win the title. Let's say the four at the end of this season are:

1. Alabama - SEC Champ (shocker, right?!)
2. Clemson - ACC Champ
3. Ohio State - B10 Champ
4. Washington - Pac-12 Champ

That'll leave probably one loss Michigan out, one or two loss Louisville out, probably a one loss Houston team out, Baylor (or whoever the Big XII champ is), potentially A&M (if their only loss is to Bama and they fail to make the SEC title game despite a 11-1 record) and potentially a one or two loss Wisconsin team and Nebraska. If the field was expanded to 8 the playoff could be:

1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. Washington
4. Clemson
5. Michigan
6. Louisville
7. Texas A&M
8. Baylor

Also:
Houston
Wisconsin
Oklahoma
Ole Miss
Nebraska

Outside of Baylor, from what we've seen so far, any of those top 7 teams could win the national championship, but 3 of them won't get the chance, simply because they dropped a game or two to other great teams in conference (Ohio State vs. Michigan, Bama vs A&M, Louisville vs Clemson) or played a difficult non-conference schedule (Oklahoma). I don't like that.

Go undefeated and your worries are over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football