U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-15-2016, 11:12 PM
 
529 posts, read 281,473 times
Reputation: 576

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Go undefeated and your worries are over.
Not necessarily true, as there have been multiple seasons with undefeated teams not getting a chance.

Even a team like Western Michigan could go unbeaten this season and not get in, so long as the power 5 conferences all have solid unbeatens or 1 loss teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-18-2016, 10:05 AM
 
28,905 posts, read 46,823,512 times
Reputation: 46078
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltergulick View Post
Not necessarily true, as there have been multiple seasons with undefeated teams not getting a chance.

Even a team like Western Michigan could go unbeaten this season and not get in, so long as the power 5 conferences all have solid unbeatens or 1 loss teams.
Yep. As an Auburn fan, I still remember 2004. Would we have beaten USC? Likely not. But we sure as hell would have fared better than Oklahoma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 03:12 PM
 
Location: H-Tine, Texas
6,742 posts, read 4,140,963 times
Reputation: 8528
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Go undefeated and your worries are over.
If Baylor goes undefeated and either Michigan or Ohio State lose to the other, would you rather see Alabama play Baylor, who needed a 4th quarter comeback against Iowa State or a one loss Michigan or Ohio State team, whose only loss came against the #2 seed?


Agreed on the two posts above me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
6,556 posts, read 4,514,171 times
Reputation: 2488
They should cap the playoffs at 8:


5 champions of the power 5 conferences (ACC, Big 10, Big 12, SEC, Pac 12) each get a spot and 3 Wildcard's get the other, which can come from a P5 or non P5 conference but you must have at minimum 10 wins in order to be selected for a Wildcard spot. IF a team from a non P5 conference is undefeated (i.e the champion of the AAC, MAC, etc) they get an automatic bid for one of those 3 "Wildcard spots." If there is more than 1, whichever team has the higher SOS gets the automatic spot while the other(s) will go into the Wildcard pile for the final 2 spots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2016, 06:19 AM
 
4,022 posts, read 1,860,123 times
Reputation: 3950
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
They should cap the playoffs at 8:


5 champions of the power 5 conferences (ACC, Big 10, Big 12, SEC, Pac 12) each get a spot and 3 Wildcard's get the other, which can come from a P5 or non P5 conference but you must have at minimum 10 wins in order to be selected for a Wildcard spot. IF a team from a non P5 conference is undefeated (i.e the champion of the AAC, MAC, etc) they get an automatic bid for one of those 3 "Wildcard spots." If there is more than 1, whichever team has the higher SOS gets the automatic spot while the other(s) will go into the Wildcard pile for the final 2 spots.
I would support this format with the small caveat that if there are 2 undefeated Group of 5 schools they should BOTH get an automatic bid.

I hope to never again see more than one school unbeaten at season's end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2016, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
6,556 posts, read 4,514,171 times
Reputation: 2488
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
I would support this format with the small caveat that if there are 2 undefeated Group of 5 schools they should BOTH get an automatic bid.

I hope to never again see more than one school unbeaten at season's end.

I put that higher SOS for the non P5 caveat because take this example: Western Michigan finishes 12-0, Navy finished 12-0, Auburn finishes 11-1 and Florida & Alabama both finish 12-1 (Auburn loses to Alabama so they missed out on the SEC championship game; Alabama loses to Florida and Florida loses to Auburn). The 3 SEC teams would probably get 3 spots but you could make a case for leaving Alabama out (Auburn at least did beat the conference champion which Alabama did not) but I assume both would be selected over a 12-0 Navy or Western Michigan. And there's no perfect way to distinguish between teams, but I think a higher SOS is the most fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2016, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Bronx, New York
3,192 posts, read 6,356,930 times
Reputation: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger099 View Post
Stanford, Oregon, Oklahoma, Notre Dame and Georgia, yes. Tennessee, no. FSU and Miami, maybe.
Stanford: 11 in the box v. McCaff, plus bad at QB

Oregon: Helfrich in over his head and losing team?

Oklahoma: Bad starts, but slowly coming back! Westbrook looking beast!

Notre Dame: Bad defense plus failure to recover from suspensions

Georgia: 'But Mark Richt was a horrible coach'......!

Tennesse: Good, but never expected to be great! Bama was just being Bama!

FSU: One man Cook show.....!

Miami: Richt got them better than expected!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2016, 09:00 PM
 
Location: H-town, TX.
3,441 posts, read 5,801,462 times
Reputation: 2139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
If Baylor goes undefeated and either Michigan or Ohio State lose to the other, would you rather see Alabama play Baylor, who needed a 4th quarter comeback against Iowa State or a one loss Michigan or Ohio State team, whose only loss came against the #2 seed?


Agreed on the two posts above me.
Who rolls over all their opponents 77-0, though? Even Bama dug a hole against Ole Miss...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2016, 02:05 PM
 
28,905 posts, read 46,823,512 times
Reputation: 46078
Well, I guess we can put Arkansas on the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2016, 05:36 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
3,345 posts, read 1,679,842 times
Reputation: 3628
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
They should cap the playoffs at 8:


5 champions of the power 5 conferences (ACC, Big 10, Big 12, SEC, Pac 12) each get a spot and 3 Wildcard's get the other, which can come from a P5 or non P5 conference but you must have at minimum 10 wins in order to be selected for a Wildcard spot. IF a team from a non P5 conference is undefeated (i.e the champion of the AAC, MAC, etc) they get an automatic bid for one of those 3 "Wildcard spots." If there is more than 1, whichever team has the higher SOS gets the automatic spot while the other(s) will go into the Wildcard pile for the final 2 spots.
I almost agree with this. I think that the Champion of each P5 should get an automatic bid. I would then just do a ranking for the remaining 3. You could give the most weight to whether a team is undefeated, but I wouldn't automatically give it to a non P5 just because they were undefeated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top