U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 03:18 PM

2,842 posts, read 1,786,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
But I am not talking about "surprises".

I mean like "quality wins".

Who is the best team to have a loss?
Best team to have a loss???

Best team (resume) right now with one loss- I think I'd have to say Louisville. Loss on the Road to Clemson, Huge win against FSU (who has two big wins against Ole Miss and Miami).

I think the three best teams by far are Alabama, Ohio St. and Clemson. A team behind these three will have play their best football and get a break or two to beat one of these three- and in all likelihood will have to beat two of the three to win it all. The 4th team in the playoff a considerable step below these three.

I can see teams like Ole Miss and Florida St. being capable of winning it all but on the outside looking in when it comes to the playoff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 06:09 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,859,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Best team to have a loss???

Best team (resume) right now with one loss- I think I'd have to say Louisville. Loss on the Road to Clemson, Huge win against FSU (who has two big wins against Ole Miss and Miami).

I think the three best teams by far are Alabama, Ohio St. and Clemson. A team behind these three will have play their best football and get a break or two to beat one of these three- and in all likelihood will have to beat two of the three to win it all. The 4th team in the playoff a considerable step below these three.

I can see teams like Ole Miss and Florida St. being capable of winning it all but on the outside looking in when it comes to the playoff.
Yes that's more like what I meant.

So Clemson's victory over Louisville might be the "best" win so far this season.

Yes, definitely one of the first ones I thought of as well.

Old 10-12-2016, 12:14 PM

2,842 posts, read 1,786,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
Yes that's more like what I meant.

So Clemson's victory over Louisville might be the "best" win so far this season.

Yes, definitely one of the first ones I thought of as well.
Based on common opponents yes. I don't think they are a playoff team though. I think Bama or OSU would line up and run it down their throats and they would create enough havoc in their back 7 to control any Louisville attempt at a passing game.

It wasn't a bad loss for Louisville...on the road at night in a close game against the #2 team in the country.

Louisville big win over FSU may prove to be one of the best wins at the end of the year.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:41 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,810,702 times
It's really hard to assess until you're at the end of the season. Chiefly, the first six weeks of the season are spent exposing the poseurs. Notre Dame is one. Oklahoma appears to be another. And Houston, while not exactly exposed, was definitely shown how vulnerable they are to a disciplined team such as Navy.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:57 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,859,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
It's really hard to assess until you're at the end of the season. Chiefly, the first six weeks of the season are spent exposing the poseurs. Notre Dame is one. Oklahoma appears to be another. And Houston, while not exactly exposed, was definitely shown how vulnerable they are to a disciplined team such as Navy.
Absolutely.

Which is why I worded the very first line of the OP the way I did:

"I know as the season progresses these will change, but as of today what are the most impressive wins so far this season?"

I don't know if I buy that Oklahoma was a poser, because I think Ohio State is just very very good. Maybe they are and they will get exposed a few more games this season, but if they finish the season with only those two early losses, I think there's a case to be made that they are a pretty solid team.

So the question remains, and someone finally gave a legitimate answer yesterday.
Any other opinions on the question:

Based on what we know NOW. Which wins are the most impressive so far?

Old 10-13-2016, 12:10 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,810,702 times
In that event, I'd say Navy against Houston.

I also think Clemson's defeat of a terrifying Louisville offense is pretty good, too.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:33 PM

4,668 posts, read 6,128,164 times
It changes as teams get exposed. Example being that Texas beating Notre Dame doesn't mean as much now.

The correct answer has to be Clemson beating Louisville. That might have serious playoff implications after it's all said and done.

Old 10-15-2016, 01:54 PM

578 posts, read 331,936 times
Baylor is underrated i think their offense can beat clemson

Old 10-15-2016, 02:09 PM

12,446 posts, read 10,939,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyronejacobs0 View Post
baylor is underrated i think their offense can beat clemson
Based on...????

Old 10-15-2016, 05:19 PM

447 posts, read 474,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyronejacobs0 View Post
Baylor is underrated i think their offense can beat clemson
Yeah, that's what Louisville thought too... 😏
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or